Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Advice please - should I go on a ski holiday alone?

Poster: A snowHead
Hi

I am relatively new to skiing, I went on my first ski trip earlier this year and was so hooked I had another ski holiday a few weeks after! Next year, I was planning a trip to La Plagne, as I have a friend who works out there. All was going well with the holiday planning until I came back from my summer holiday today to discover that my so-called friends who were supposed to be coming to La Plagne with me have planned a different ski holiday to a different resort behind my back!!!

I still want to go to La Plagne, not only because I'm making a stand against my so-called friends, but also because I want to visit my friend who is out there.

My issue is whether to go, as I will be travelling alone. My friend will only be around in the afternoons, so I will have the mornings and evenings to kill. I am planning to stick myself in ski school in the morning and I am hoping that I will be able to hook up with others from my chalet in the evening.

I was just wondering whether anyone has had experience of going on a ski holiday alone, and whether they found it easy to meet people when they were out there. I'm pretty sure that I will end up meeting like minded people and that it's not going to be a problem, but I would like some reassurance from others with experience before I go ahead and book!

Thanks! Smile
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Welcome to Snowheads!

If you're mate is working out there, then I assume you'll be hanging with him and his crew - I had a mate come to visit me when I was seasoning in Les Arcs last season - and I managed to rip my calf muscle on day 3 of his trip which put me off games for a few days - not really a drama for him however as he'd met some of my buddies in the bar and so we arranged for him to ski with them the following day or two. Then he skied with a well known snowhead for a couple of days to do some more adventurous runs and then I was back on my feet for a bit - over the course of the 10 days he'd skied with about 20 different people and really enjoyed every day. of course he had the advantage of being a pretty decent skier, so even the seasonaires were happy to ski with him, and the resort we were was tiny so friends of friends were welcomed to provide some variety.

I'd say do it, and do the lessons in the morning - alternatively you could try the skiclub rep service - http://www.skiclub.co.uk/skiclub/reps/default.aspx which runs out of Plagne Bellecote - technically you're supposed to be a member but I think you can do one day free - and if you do that on the Sunday they usually have a fairly gentle ski around resort day, which sounds like it could work for you.

Why not do La plagne and then holiday with your 'other' mates - if you do 2x trips a year you stand a much better chance of improving your skills than just one week. Yeah I know cost 'n' time off but hey...

Good Luck!
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Hi there!

Many thanks for the advice! Sounds like I will be ok! I'll check out the skiclub rep service also.

I was actually thinking of doubling up on the ski holiday and going with my friends as well, and I guess if I do La Plagne before their holiday, I will have had plenty of practise and maybe I'll even be skiing better than them! Laughing
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
pinkskier, Post on here before you go to see if there are any other snowHead in the area while you're there. Most people on here are up for a ski meet up to be sociable. Cool Especially if it involves skiing and beer. Madeye-Smiley
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
pinkskier, Welcome to the nuthouse, I often travel on my own and have never lacked for people to slide with. If you're a girl on her own you do have to be a little circumspect but again you'll have no problem with meeting people to hook up with on the hill. Keep in touch here on snowHead there will bound to be a few of us around at the time you're there.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
I holiday alone every year and absolutely love it. It's my chance to get away from my humdrum life. You meet so many like-minded people in a ski resort, there are always people to meet with for a drink and a chat if that's what you want, although personally I do prefer to ski alone (that way I'm not constantly holding people up). I'd say go for it. You might just end up meeting some new ski buddies.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
pinkskier, Going to ski school is a good idea... Potentially you could hook up with some of your ski school group to ski with in the afternoons. It often happens with the people that I teach. The advantage is that you're all going to be skiing at a similar standard and speed so there's no pressure to keep up.
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
)pinkskier, Welcome to SnowHeads snowHead

My first ever ski holiday was on my own (friends couldn't see the point in spending their limited funds on winter holidays in snow, when they could get drunk on a beach in Majorca in July rolling eyes Very Happy ) - I had a ball, met people in my hotel who were in ski school with me, and was only alone when I chose to be. I've ski holidayed alone since and would do it again. Go for it!
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Quote:

I guess if I do La Plagne before their holiday, I will have had plenty of practise and maybe I'll even be skiing better than them!

Yes, that sounds like a plan. Do put yourself in ski school for the week though - just skiing around practising on your own won't see your skiing improve much. Ask on here about the best ski school to use.

If you have a mate there you should have no problem, though it would be good to have a chalet in the same part of the resort (there are quite a few different centres and going between them in the evening can be a bit of a mission). In a decent size catered chalet you'd be pretty sure to find some like-minded souls, and in the ones I've stayed in people have almost all stayed in the chalet most of the evenings - with good company and cheap drinks (mostly you can take your own duty frees) why go out and spend a fortune in bars?

I did two trips on my own. One was a ski course, at a time when my OH had a knee problem and couldn't ski. Another started as a trip together, but he had to go home when a freak tornado took half the roof off the house. I stayed on, joined a group from the chalet who were having lessons in the morning, and had an excellent week. I even had an entire sleeping compartment to myself when I went home on the train, which was a real bonus. I'm accustomed to travelling alone, which I did a lot for work, but if you're not, I'd strongly recommend a catered chalet rather than a hotel or chalet hotel - it's easier to get to know people. I've also done quite a few sailing trips on my own, as the OH is not a sailor. It's different, in that you can hardly fail to get to know people when you're all staying together in a boat (nothing like hanging on to someone when they deposit their breakfast in the ocean to get that "togetherness" feeling wink) but similar in that because you all share the same interest in the sport, you've got a head start.

Definitely go for it. snowHead

(But you'd better stop calling them your "so-called friends"...)
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
I've gone skiing on my own several times, mainly because I don't share my love of ski-ing with any of my friends! It has some serious advantages, mostly being that you can ski wherever you want at exactly your level. The catch is that you have to a very sociable, outgoing sort of person, or else your evenings will be rather long and lonely. I always booked myself a studio apartment, but have now learnt that I don't enjoy that level of solitude, liking quiet Austrian family type resorts doesn't help either! However, since you're seeing your friend in the afternoons I don't think you'll die of loneliness!

I'd definately second the week long ski lessons idea, particularly for the social aspect. I don't know La Plagne, but if it's got good Apres ski theres a good chance you'll meet drinking partners in a group lesson.

Good luck - bite the bullet! I'm sure you won't regret it.
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Quote:

I always booked myself a studio apartment

Draybs74, you did do it the hard way, then! I think I'd struggle with that, and of course there aren't so many catered chalets in Austria. You could try Italy - some lovely places to ski, and a few more catered chalets. You still don't HAVE to be sociable, but it makes it easier, and when we've been in chalets there's generally been a pretty relaxed and inclusive feel to things. Easier to find people to ski with at your level, too.

I enjoy skiing on my own (for the reasons you state) but only for a day or so. Then I'm glad of some company again.
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Yes, my manager skis on his own, but stays in chalets and enjoys the atmosphere even though he's quite a shy sort of person, not all that young either! So I suppose it can work for all sorts of people. One thing my solo trips have taught me is that for me at least ski-ing is a really social sport. Tackling a new black run with a friend (or even talking about it afterwards) can really add excitement to what otherwise might just be fear!
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Quote:

Most people on here are up for a ski meet up to be sociable. Especially if it involves skiing and beer.

Many thanks for all your replies and making me feel welcome! Looks like I've come to the right place... I have always thought that skiing and beer go well together!

I am now convinced it's totally the right thing to do, and maybe it's a good thing that my mates decided on a different holiday as I now have two holidays to go on!!! So in fact, they have done me a favour!!

I think I will go for the ski school option, at least then I will be guaranteed company for the whole day and I will also get a chance to improve my skiing before the next holiday!
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Oh good I'm pleased we've convinced you! I'm sure you'll have a great time.
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
pinkskier, Hi and welcome to snowHead 'heads

I did 3 trips as a single last season, 2 to La Plagne where I knew people in resort (but I didnt ski every day with them) and 1 to Mayrhoffen where I knew nobody!
Things I have learnt from last season Smile

If you dont fancy the ski school option look for companys who do ski guiding so you are sure of somebody to ski with e.g Mark Warner, Mountainsun or Snowcoach.
I have travelled with all of these last season and had a great time, you can do the trip as a single person with a chargable single supplement or you can opt for a room share (same sex rolling eyes ) a gamble but keeps the price down and you may have the room to yourself some companys do have singles rooms/bunk rooms at no extra cost. I wouldnt go self catering when travelling in the winter on my own as means you can get to know folks at meal times and organise folks to ski with. I am Ski Club menber so can do at least 3 days with the Ski Rep if there is a rep in resort so another option.
Apart from 2 trips out of 5 rolling eyes all my trips were booked within 5 days of going and I ended up with some good deals and some really nice folks to ski with Very Happy
latest report
Quote:

I think I will go for the ski school option, at least then I will be guaranteed company for the whole day

Depending on where you go, and the kind of ski school, it may well only be half a day. You'd need to check. I think Austria is the main place for all day ski school.
latest report
I usually find if I'm waiting outside a bar on the mountain (for husband) in an Austria, I'm offered a drink at least once by a German fellow. Puzzled Never a ski instructor though. Sad
snow report
I usually find if I'm waiting outside a bar on the mountain (for husband) in Austria, I'm offered a drink at least once by a German fellow. Puzzled Never a ski instructor though. Sad
snow conditions
Last year I went to Val D'Isere on my own - well not completely true, I travelled with Mark Warner who run ski trips for singles. Lessons in the morning and free ski hosting in the afternoon (although it was my first time skiing in 12 years I struggled). More than half our group travelled independently. They do various resorts http://www.markwarner.co.uk/why-choose-us/ski/adults-only
snow report
pinkskier, I've been on many ski holidays alone and I haven't had problems finding people to ski with. Having lessons should help find others to ski with. I'd recommend staying in a catered chalet if you're on your own as they're (usually) very sociable (I've found them far more sociable than hotels).
snow report
pinkskier,
im going to usa next year by myself
snow report
Has anyone been with Ski Freshtracks? I just found last seasons brochure and looks very interesting?
snow conditions
cyberil, yes, I've been on two of those holidays, one of which I enjoyed very much and the other less so. What made the difference was the party leader in each case, and that's rather in the lap of the gods. The holidays are not cheap.
ski holidays
pinkskier, yes
latest report
pinkskier, I've been in the exact same situation as you before, went on my own trip and on a snowheads bash, both of which were some of the best skiing i've ever had, the friends I made on the trips I took alone have been good friends to me!

I'm looking for company for a couple of trips this year, probably get on a snowheads bash but give me a PM if you need a skiing partner!
snow conditions
cyberil wrote:
Has anyone been with Ski Freshtracks? I just found last seasons brochure and looks very interesting?

I left the SCGB because of my last experience Freshtracks - but that is in part because of my age limiting the number and type of holidays I am permitted to go on with them. Over the years, I found them very variable - from hugley enjoyable to a lot less so. As has already been noted, they are not cheap. In contrast, I have enjoyed every snowheads bash I have been on - hugely.
latest report
Thanks for all your replies! Very useful! I'm definitely going to go ahead and book now!
snow report
I did it last season. Had a whale of a time. In a catered chalet, there were 12 of us, two other single travellers. We skiied together a lot, and I was pushed like anything - they were all ski mad. Also booked myself into lessons, skiied with the other people in the lesson a bit (but less satisfactory). Also picked up three girls on a chair lift one afternoon and skiied with them. Wink

One further observation. Being with a fractionally upmarket chalet company, wine at dinner was not rationed (notionally it was, in practice it was not) so we had jolly evenings round the dinner table.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
I've been on Ski Freshtracks, on the solos trip to Courmayeur - big plus was that they graded my skiing first (albeit over the phone) and then put me in a group according to my ski grading - hey presto, instant ski buddies to ski, made a massive difference to me. I agree that it's easy to find people to have a beer with, but it's not so easy to find people to ski with not feel like I'm holding anyone up... or being held back Evil or Very Mad call me selfish ....

A friend also recommended trying Inspired to Ski holiday this year, for similar reasons - any snowHead been on that? Don't think they go to La Plagne though..............
snow report
JulesSki wrote:
A friend also recommended trying Inspired to Ski holiday this year, for similar reasons - any snowHead been on that? Don't think they go to La Plagne though..............

Yes, Inspired to Ski or Snoworks are great, but I don't think either go to La Plagne. I went on an ItS last year and will be going again to Courchevel next year in Jan - good thing about the Mark Warner chalet they use in Courchevel is it has quite a lot of single rooms at no supplement. I'm too old to be sharing! Toofy Grin
snow report
pinkskier,
Another vote from me to go for it gal
i go on snowboard trips by myself and usually find plenty of people to slide with
one word of warning tho, i broke my shoulder this year and found it a bit tricky getting about but no problem getting home as all the reps and airport staff were great
snow conditions
pinkskier, Doing the lessons is a good way to meet other people, you could also consider taking some lessons at one of the snow centres here is blighty, i often solo ski at these and there also are snowhead groups meeting at hemel hemstead snow centre on saturday and another group planning a meet at tamworth. Look on the events forums for more details. Very Happy
latest report
Quote:

A friend also recommended trying Inspired to Ski holiday this year, for similar reasons - any snowHead been on that

Yes, I did an ItS, on my own, some time back - when the company was called something different. It was excellent (in Tignes, early season) but you should be aware that it's pretty full-on skiing instruction. 4 hours a day and video feedback in the evening. Everyone on the holiday was a keen skier. There were a number of different levels - I was in the next to bottom - the top two were all instructors! I learnt a lot, but it's not something for someone who doesn't want to ski all day and talk about it all evening. wink
latest report
pam w,
Quote:

talk about it all evening
Not me, but I still enjoyed it.
ski holidays
Hurtle,
Don't you know by now that all skiers are ski gods in the bar over a beer, however snow seems to have a strange effect on them wink

Hurtle wrote:
pam w,
Quote:

talk about it all evening
Not me, but I still enjoyed it.
ski holidays
Hello!

I run trips for solo skiers and there will be plenty going on next season? Nobody ever knows each other and they always have a great time....

Usually Morzine based, just because it's a bit of everything to everybody. Although I did Meribel in March and may consider something similar this year. I usually send round a newsletter - so Pm me your email address and I can make sure you get the most recent one, plus any future ones...

Sarah
snow report
I just got back into skiing after a long break. I had two excursions earlier this year, both solo trips. Enjoyed every minute, met lots of people, have lots of great memories, one of my fondest, day one - stopping for lunch with a great view of neighbouring mountains, good food & a cool beer (or two) and thinking....this is the life!

I am looking to go at least a couple of times next season, by self or with company, not fussed. Cool
latest report
YES! Some of my best holidays have been when I've gone solo - I love it. Complete freedom to do whatever you like, whenever and however you want to and you will meet some great people and make good, lifelong, like minded friends!
latest report
pinkskier, Yes, that is all.
snow report
Hi! Would recommend staying in a catered chalet if possible as then you'll be sure of company in the evening for drinks and dinner etc. Ski school sounds like a good idea too but try and find an english school if possible.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy