Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Munich to Gerlos - best option

Poster: A snowHead
Probably going to Gerlos on 2nd Jan with wife and 3 kids and will need to book independently as I know of no UK TO that does Gerlos. Munich is most cost effective option with decent travelling time for us coming from Scotland (ie saving over £600 on flights if we went to Innsbruck). Is the train best way or better just hiring a car. Any recommendations on transfers or cheap car hire welcome
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Hi,
Just looked on the Austrian Railways website for you (www.oebb.at). There aren't times yet available for January, the current timetable is valid until December. Out of interest I searched to travel on a random date in August from Munich Airport to Gerlos. The answer that came back looked like a nightmare journey - esp. with 3 kids!!!!
The quickest journey was 4hrs39mins involving 2 trains and 3 buses Shocked
I reckon car hire is the answer.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
thanks SaraJ, kinda what I thought. Do you know rough journey times? Also can the road to Gerlos be bad in winter as the drive in summer was pretty scary at bits
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
boabski, the drive from munich Airport is about 2h15. Fairly straightforward trip. You should make sure that the car has winter tyres and snow chains and you should be OK.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Definitely get the snow chains. Last time I went, even the coach had to put them on! IIRC the drive (in a coach) was around 3 hours and mostly pretty easy roads once you get past the Munich traffic. Gerlos is a really friendly little town and some some good skiing although you will need to speak a bit more German than some of the other austrian resorts. Have fun Very Happy
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
sarep, Ich kann ein bischen Deutsch sprechen. Kein Probleme. Vier Bier bitte Smile
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
boabski, alle Vier auf einmal Puzzled Shocked
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Ja, naturlich. Ich komme aus Schottland Embarassed hiccup!
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Ach so! Na dann. Ich auch übrigens!
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Snow chain that thing, it will make a huge difference.
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
It is compulsory to carry snow chains on certain roads in winter... I suspect that the Gerlos Pass is one of them.
If you have to pay extra for winter tyres and snow chains on your hire car, don't even consider the cost, just pay it!
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
SaraJ, I always thought it was illegal to drive without winter tyres in Germany in the winter! So the cars will be equipped with them as standard at no additional cost even if you pay the "extra" for them. Best to get snow chains as insurance though!
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
From 15th Nov to 15th March all german cars should have so called "winter" tyres (actually just need to be all-season or not-summer-only). They'll be M+S with the snowflake. Should be no need to pay extra, unless it's a compulsory inclusive "winterisation" surcharge.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Roy Hockley, not illegal - they were sneakier than that and it involves less time loss checking peoples tyres. The law says if you do not have tyres suitable for the prevalent weather conditions on your car and you are involved in some kind of "incident", then you are at fault either in part or completely. Insurance is invalid and you also get a fine and points. The amount of both varies according to what has actually happened. Summer rated compounds start to lose tracking and have longer braking distance as soon as the average temperature drops below 7°C. I get my winter tyres put on by the middle of October at the latest and change back to summer tyres at the end of April or so.

In Austria it is actually illegal to be without winter equipment up to a certain date. This year it was 15th April, but I do not know if it is the same date every year. As SaraJ says snow chains have to be in the car if you travel on certain stretches of road. These do not need to be steep mountain passes. I can remember putting chains on my car to get through from Zell am See to Salzburg one particularly interesting December evening (not) A10 was blocked with vehicles in transit without chains so we were diverted on to the old Bundesstrasse between Bischofshofen and Hallein. Not the speediest of trips nor the quietest but at least we were moving slowly but safely.

Sue wink
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Samerberg Sue, You may be right in Austria but in Germany I believe that they have to have as you say appropriate tyres for the time of year.
ski holidays
Roy Hockley wrote:
Samerberg Sue, You may be right in Austria but in Germany I believe that they have to have as you say appropriate tyres for the time of year.
Not quite! The exact wording is that it behoves the driver to have tyres appropriate to the current conditions ( § 2 in Absatz 3a der Straßenverkehrsordnung (StVO) wörtlich: „Bei Kraftfahrzeugen ist die Ausrüstung an die Wetterverhältnisse anzupassen. Hierzu gehören insbesondere eine geeignete Bereifung und Frostschutzmittel in der Scheibenwaschanlage“) it does not stipulate what appropriate equipment in fact is. So you can chance it if you like, but if the police decide that your wheels are not appropriate you're f*cked! Oh well rolling eyes
latest report
Illegal? Compulsory? Recommended? Whatever the law says, winter tyres make a significant difference to winter driving...
snow conditions
boabski, Just a thought - if you don't need a car you could use a bus transfer.
http://www.tirol-taxi.at/airporttransfer/
Looks like kids travel free so (based on last years price http://www.tirol-taxi.at/airporttransfer/pdf/Preise_AD.pdf ) you could get a dropped straight at your hotel for 244 euro which I guess would compare favourably to hire car prices (espcially a car for 5 plus luggage).
I used them this year from Munich to Mayrhofen and they were good.
Transport is by minibus and they provided baby and child seats if you need.
<edit>oops - just re-read your post. Munich may be a tad more expensive depending how old your kids are Blush </edit>
snow conditions
Cheers Hamish, Had asked them for price as I wasn't quite sure if the kids were discounted - which it looks like they are - but just referred me to website. Will probably use though rather than hire car. Just need to get hotel finalised then I can book
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy