Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Driving Le Havre - Le Grand Bornand, How is the route around Paris?

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Hi,
We've driven Calais - Le Grand Bornand which was fairly straightforward but means a 2 hour drive to the tunnel before we start. As we live near Portsmouth, we're toying with the idea of the Friday overnight ferry Portsmouth - Le Havre and then driving down on a Saturday late in March. According to the AA recommended route it would mean approaching Paris mid/late Saturday morning and I was just wondering how easy/difficult this section is to negotiate? Nightmare or worth doing? Thanks, Loatie
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
loatie, some of the routes take you right into Paris and round the périphérique, which unless you are keen on Exciting Driving Experiences of the World I wouldn't recommend. Last time I did it, thinking it couldn't be too bad at midnight, it was mayhem.

Much better to use the outer ring - which is the route used by viaMichelin.com

Ignore the AA - last time I looked it used the périph

We do use Calais now, both because the Tunnel takes Tesco vouchers and because I much prefer the more easterly route which avoids both Paris and the horrible A 6 down to Lyon. But I don't think you'd have too much trouble with that outer route - I suspect it's much improved since we used to do it, when there was lots of road works. I still wouldn't recommend it at a rush hour in the week, but maybe Saturday would be OK
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
I don't mind driving round the Périphérique, it's well signposted and I've rarely got stuck on it, in the zillion times I've been on it. Perhaps it's just that I've got accustomed to it. Confused The secret to blocked Lyon tunnels, btw, is to stay on the surface and drive through town: it's helpful to have a good map and map-reader for that, of course.
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
loatie, the routefinding without satnav can be tricky on the way home if youwant to stick to the outer ring. (Memories of "Dad there's the Eiffel Tower... Don't be stupid darling were miles from it.... I think it is you know... Embarassed etc) There seem to be few if any signs to the coast on the Autoroute North. Otherwise fine, we have done this route and enjoyed the variety from the Pas du Calais, and the mini cruise over.
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Hurtle,
Quote:

The secret to blocked Lyon tunnels, btw, is to stay on the surface and drive through town: it's helpful to have a good map and map-reader for that, of course.

Puzzled Our route around Lyon is on the N46 and there aren't any tunnels...We simply follow the Marseille signs until we see the Chambery sign Very Happy
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Boredsurfing, indeedy, also a good route. Signed Marseille, is it? I'd forgotten.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Boredsurfing, I dont' recall any blocked tunnels either. Queues at the telepeage if you don't have one of those secret devices, but not blocked tunnels.
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Helen Beaumont, I've known a few times when the whole series of tunnels on the autoroute have been blocked. Admittedly, whilst I use to drive on the A6/A7 a lot, I haven't done so in recent years, perhaps it doesn't happen any more.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Hurtle, I don't use the A6.
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Helen Beaumont, that would certainly explain your not knowing the tunnels I'm talking about! Toofy Grin
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Helen Beaumont, that would certainly explain your not knowing the tunnels I'm talking about! Toofy Grin
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Hurtle wrote:
Boredsurfing, indeedy, also a good route. Signed Marseille, is it? I'd forgotten.

It is at the moment, they do change the signs every so often Toofy Grin This months change was to put up one's saying 90 and 110 Confused
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Even if you go down the A6, you would probably do better to turn east at Macon. No point going anywhere near Lyon to go to Le Grand Bornand.

I've hardly ever driven the périph, which is probably why I don't like it - when I did it last, at midnight, I ended up going the long way round to my turn off because the signposting was not what I expected and an instant decision, rather than dither, was called for. I just think that at most times, the outer ring is likely to be easier for those of us not accustomed to the périph. Also, in France I would always follow a viamichelin.com route rather than an AA route (even though my old Dad, god rest his soul, worked for the AA from leaving school at 15 till he retired. wink )
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
pam w, we use Sat Nav now, (ours is fine apart from in large built-up areas with a poor signal) although I still carry a map in the car. If we are going on a new journey, I always check the Michelin map, as it shows which passes and roads are closed in winter , as occasionally the Sat Nav will try to send you that way.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy