Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Austria advice needed!

Poster: A snowHead
Hi all,

I wonder if you can help me choose my Austrian resort for 2010? We're going from the 13th of March for a week, and I'm looking for somewhere:

1. Quiet
2. Easy slopes
3. Reasonably snowsure considering the date, not necessarily glacier
4. Pretty town/village
5. Be within 3.5 hours of Salzburg by train/bus

We quite like obscure, local sort of places. So far I've come up with Altenmarkt (inc. Zauchensee), Mauterndorf (inc. Obertauern), Brand, Ehrwald, Pitztal and Fendels/Kaunertal (though this last one seems hopelessly inconvenient). I'm also toying with the idea of staying somewhere in the Oetz valley, and commuting by postbus to Oetz/Solden/Obergurgl. Does anyone have experience of this?

Any opinions and recommendations gratefully received!
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Sorry - I should have said a bit more about us. Four people, One upper intermediate, two whingey second weekers, one third weeker who likes non-skiing activities. We don't drive, and we like places that are rustic, with quiet slopes a priority.

Thanks again!
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Draybs74, Based on No.5 you should be spoilt for choice ....1 to 4 should be pretty easy to accomodate. The Amade region which is very close to Salzburg (check out www.skiamade.com) has plenty to choose from with 25 resorts (many of which should fit the bill) all of which can be skied on a single pass. This area has a good snow record and Altenmarkt in the sportwelt area of Amade (and sister town Zauchensee) which is among your list is a charming resort. Should be a good mix of easier runs and trickier stuff too.

Don't know Obergurgl but have heard very good things about this too.

Think there are some snowheads that are based out or near some of these areas so there should be plenty of advice for you. I know someone in Altenmarkt who could help you or indeed if the Amade region sounds like your bag send me a PM and I can give you more details.

Happy hunting.
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Quote:

The Amade region which is very close to Salzburg (check out www.skiamade.com) has plenty to choose from with 25 resorts (many of which should fit the bill) all of which can be skied on a single pass. This area has a good snow record and Altenmarkt in the sportwelt area of Amade (and sister town Zauchensee) which is among your list is a charming resort. Should be a good mix of easier runs and trickier stuff too.

Ooohhh... I love i when people other than me say that!
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
I knew there was someone in that area, just couldn't put my finger on it. Sure enough.... Very Happy
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Zauchensee, Flachau and Wagrain/Alpendorf all have a very good terrain and modern lifts. Reds there are easy and wide.
I stayed in Flachau which is just in the middle and to reach other areas is easy from there. It is a pleasant village with good apres, but spread out and without any special views.

The pistes however are amazing, specially the Zauchensee and Flachauwinl.
Really recommend this area.

It is less than one hour from Salzburg airport as well.

Obertauern is brillaint as well. Snowsure. Probably busier but ski in/ski out for most of the accommodations.
But it also feels smaller comparing to the Zauchensee, Flachau and Wagrain.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Flachau, Austria - trip report, 10-17th January 2009

Snow record in early March is generally good (140cm/40cm), although of course the lower slopes may suffer if the weather is warmer than average, as for example it was in 2007/08 when the coverage was 160cm/0cm. That limits you to the top half of the mountains, which would be a serious constraint, but 07/08 was a pretty bad year. 05/06 was 190cm/90cm, which was exceptional.

I'd go for it - but the lack of a driver might be enough to put you off if 10-15 minutes by bus to ski the whole area is an issue for you.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Draybs74, Krimml? Absolutely stunning in summer so I'm guessing equally so in winter. On same pass as Zillertal arena so I'm pretty sure that you can link up with Gerlos and Konigsleiten fairly easilly. I'm considering Gerlos for our family trip. Matt from www.ineedsnow.com rates Konigsleiten very highly. I've done these resorts in winter only passed through in summer so I'm only going on third party comments.
You could possibly look into Stuben or even Klosterle. Spent this years family trip in Stuben - one of the best snow records in Alps although can't find any proof of that - only Zurs 5 mins away is recorded and that's 3rd best in Alps. Stuben is linked into the Arlberg ski circuit. Klosterle is at Sonnenkopf part of the Arlberg circuit but deserted www.stuben.com
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Thanks all for your advice! Praise for Ski Amade seems to be a bit of a theme here - I'll give it my serious consideration.

Boabski - I've had a look at Krimml, but the piste map gives the impression that there isn't much easy skiing. Was that your experience? I know piste maps can be a bit academic/fraudulent. I've also picked up on Klosterle - how's the through traffic in the village?
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Draybs74, Some people may correct me but I THINK the Arlberg tunnel starts before Klosterle. I've never skied/stayed there but constantly hear that Sonnenkopf is deserted (in fact I may be shot down in flames for those in the know wink ). Also there may be a train station at Klosterle, certainly one at Langen which will only be a few mins away. I did the train journey from Langen to Salzburg a couple of years ago when we were at Oberlech- took around 3 hours from memory with only one change at Innsbruck - all very pleasant.
As I said my only knowledge of Krimml is in summer so can't comment on the easyness of slopes
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Draybs74,
Krimml is linked to Koenigsleiten, Gerlos and after skiing for half a day you can end up in Zell am Ziller. Krimml itself would be perfect for your 2 whingey second weekers. The piste map shows several red and blue runs all next to each other. In reality, they are all same aspect so its hard to tell when you're skiing on a red run or a blue run... I'd say for difficulty they are mostly difficult blues or easy reds.
Its a lovely place, but for your third weeker who likes non-skiing activities, then you might be better staying in Gerlos, its a bigger village with more to do.
As a whole the Zillertal Arena is an interesting ski area.
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
boabski wrote:
Spent this years family trip in Stuben - one of the best snow records in Alps although can't find any proof of that - only Zurs 5 mins away is recorded and that's 3rd best in Alps. Stuben is linked into the Arlberg ski circuit. Klosterle is at Sonnenkopf part of the Arlberg circuit but deserted www.stuben.com

I know Zurs gets some of best snow in Alps, but what are number 1 and 2, and maybe even 4-10 for future reference? I'd love to know the source of these numbers. We come from the US to ski and deliberately target high snowfall areas like the Arlberg. So far, it's worked great Smile
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
gortonator, No 1 was Warth (visable from Oberlech but road cut off in winter - also talk of linking but apparently will not happen). Can't remember no 2. List was compiled in Daily Mail Ski and Snowboard magazine this year. St Anton was number 8 or so, and think Lech was in there too. So basically 3 of the Arlberg resorts in top 10 and Warth is just along road at no 1 - so statistically that wee part of Austria gets the most snow in the Alps (caveat) according to the Daily Mail ski magazine. You might be able to find it somewhere on other websites too I would imagine. In fact stick a new post on here and you'll get the info instantly from fellow Very Happy 's, probably contradicting what I've just said Crying or Very sad
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
boabski, your list seems to reiterate the stuff I've read/experienced about Arlberg snow. That's why we keep going back there, and well, keep getting deluged in powder. Hard combo to beat. Also been to Ischgl and Serfaus in last two years and found snow there almost as plentiful as Arlberg, so I wonder how far the 'reliable snowzone' extends in that part of Austria. Perhaps a little into Switzerland too? And surely a few other microclimates in Europe must get a lot of snow? Shame these stats aren't as easy to acquire as in North America - it's really useful info.

We might hit Warth for a few days this year. Wish there was oversnow transport so we could easily tranfer with bags to Lech.
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
gortonator, Helicopter perhaps from Lech to Warth, otherwise a bit of a treck I'm led to believe. Would imagine that little Liechtenstein along the road would be a bit of a find. Saw a programme once about some freeriders touring various resorts and Liechtenstein was their fave day
latest report
Aren't there proposals in place to link Lech to Warth with lift systems?
latest report
boabski, helicopter a bit out of my budget, i suspect. Would be an easy little ski over without luggage, but with, need some local with a snow mobile ... this'd be so easy in the US!!

erica2004, proposals for link, yep. Action - no ....
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy