Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Hintertux - summer skiing 2009?

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Hi,

Just wondering if anyone fancies a trip to Hintertux in August. I haven't skied the glaciers in the summer and am looking for a ski buddy. I'm an advanced skier (BASI 2 qualified), female, mid-30s, bored by the lack of snow and mountains in London in the summer. Just thought I'd put a message out there and see what comes back, if anything.

Thanks.
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Beedubs, August is really too late. I don't know about Hintertux, but it's been exceptionally hot in France this summer with many nights lacking the necessary re-freeze to keep the conditions up. Check the webcams and my snow reports to see what I'm talking about. Sad, but true - June is the best month for summer skiing. Otherwise October is often much better too.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
easiski, Last weekend (13/14th July) - they had a new dump of about 80cms new snow. From friends who were there last week I gather the conditions were perfect but very windy. I have skied the Austrian glaciers in every month of the year that they were open and I don't think anyone can say one way or another any more! I've certainly had some sloppy days where I have packed up by 11:00 but I have also had some of my best powder days as well in "high" summer - the lack of other skiers is the icing on the cake Laughing

Beedubs, go for it - you pays your money and takes your chances with all outdoor pursuits! Lots of alternative activities if the skiing is blown out by the weather. The way the long term forecast is looking right now, you should have new snow if you time it right.

SaraJ is based in the Zillertal and should be able to give a more up to the minute idea as to conditions

Good luck - might be doing some of the same myself!
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
This page from the TGR "Snow for the Euros" thread shows Hintertux last weekend

http://www.tetongravity.com/forums/showthread.php?t=21645&page=261

Damn, now I want to go this coming weekend!
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Beedubs,
Welcome to snowHead's
Heart says yes head says cant Sad

You will almost definitely need some afternoon activities like biking or walking even if the conditions are good.
How long are you planing on going for? and have you a plan for getting there? (On the off chance I can ignore my head (wouldn't be the first time)).
I believe accomodation is cheap and easy to find this time of year its almost a case of turning up and knocking on doors or going to tourist info but I'm sure some snowHead's could recommend some places.

here is a trip report from late may early june http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?t=52596&highlight=hintertux
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
easiski, can't speak for French and Swiss glaciers but I have heard they are not so good these days in the summer. Samerberg Sue, agree with you, Austrian glaciers seem to be fine even at the height of summer ...of course some days are better than others.

Go for it!...and send pictures!!
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Samerberg Sue, So did we (not 80cms but a fair dump) - and it was great for a couple of days, it then got really hot again Sad Look at the reports. I agree that you can't tell for sure - of course I've skied lots of different glaciers in different countries over the years. As I said I don't know, but in general August is likely to be the worst month wherever you go unfortunately.

vman, Only Saas Fee and Zermatt operating in Switzerland I believe now. Only Tignes and here in France. That just about says it all. Sad Austria does seem to be keeping more glaciers open so long may it last.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Hintertux is in great condition - for July... There are 23km of piste open and its skiable to the Tuxer Fernerhaus. Although, if you're heading down there on your brand new skis you would probably want to look out for the rocks!
Its looking mostly white which means snow, rather than the usual dirty grey that indicates glacier ice and slush. For July, that's great.
The problem with July and August is that when it's sunny it can be very hot, so good snow one day can be knee deep slush the next day as soon as the sun comes out.

I'd say, come for a holiday and do some skiing but don't think of it as a ski holiday.
If you've never skied in the summer on a glacier its worth doing, if only for the bizarre experience of going skiing when everyone around you are wearing shorts and sandals...
It may be awesome (this time last year I skied a couple of days in boot deep powder up there) but then again it may be hard and icy early morning and ridiculously deep and heavy slush by 10.00. There are plenty of activities to do in the afternoons: walking, mountain biking, swimming, rafting (Mayrhofen) canyoning, sitting on the sun terrace with a beer...
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
I'm also for the first time planning to go snowboarding during summer. I'm now planning to leave at August 22nd and come back at Friday 28th. But as this is also the first time for me, I've no idea if there will be some snow on the Hintertux. I also looked at Kaprun (I was there in April), but also there I've no idea if there will be some snow. I'll probably go for Hintertux, as I know the area a bit more and I like the nearby village Mayrhofen.

I'll just see what it brings me wink
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Hi everyone, thanks for your replies! My original post was in search of a ski buddy as keen (read: obsessive?) about skiing as I was to go to the trouble of skiing on the glaciers in Europe. I had thought Hintertux because I hadn't been before and hadn't spent much time skiing in Austria. Saas Fee was another possibility. I've been to Zermatt, Tignes and L2A in the winter, so I was looking forward to going someplace different. For me - some snow is better than no snow. My other thought was Argentina or Chile, but that's a bit expensive. I was fortunate enough to spend 10 weeks in Bariloche last summer and 4 months in the Tarentaise this winter, but I am now suffering from withdrawal. Left brain says wait until winter and spend the money on a glorious trip to Western Canada, the US or Japan. Right brain and ski legs says get on a snowy mountain, any snowy mountain. Other commitments in London keep me from getting away any sooner than mid- to end-August... my faffing may mean it's just plain too late and may force me to wait until December... I hear you about having an afternoon activity - like biking or climbing, maybe with better planning and more coercing of friends, I'll be able to experience summer glacial skiing and have a great summer holiday next year! It is sadly looking less and less likely that I'll be able to go skiing this summer...
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Snowing at the top today Smile
Sunshine forecast for tomorrow...
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
SaraJ,
whiteout today Sad
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Beedubs, do you want a space in a Chalet in Chamonix 13th Dec 1 week
I have more room in a chalet I have booked than people, due to a group dropping out.
Pre-season livener.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy