Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

'Best' route to Obertauern.

Poster: A snowHead
Dear all, best advice please on the subject title would be appreciated. Driven to France a number of times but never to Austria. Looking to be in Munich on the Friday before a Saturday arrival next Feb half term. Good routes, things to avoid, places for a decent quick lunch etc. would all be welcome snowHead
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
twoodwar, we live in Radstadt which is the town below Obertauern on the Salzburg side.

It will take about 4 hours to get up to Obetauern from Munich.

If you are driving on the Saturday morning it will be busy.
From Munich you just travel down the autobahn to Salzburg and join the A10. Then it is about 70k down to exit 63 (Radstadt). Then route 99 up to Obertauern (about 30min)
The A10 also serves loads and loads of other ski areas so gets a little congested on change over days.

If i were you I would wake up very early on the Saturday morning... drive to Obertauern in one hit... buy your ski-pass and get a whole morning (or even day) out on the slopes before checking-in.

Lunch... just get your strudel and jagertee when you arrive!

I hope this info helps... there are a few people about on snowHead 's that can probably add to this.

Still... let me know if you come out - be good to meet a snowHead for a day!
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
twoodwar, You can post nearer the time and I can update you on traffic - I live in the mountains between Salzburg and Munich and commute to Munich for work each day. The A8 can be your worst nightmare for traffic jams, especially the section between Stuttgart and Munich for the foreseeable future, as they are widening it. Saying that there are plenty of alternatives for avoiding the worst jams. Last weekend for example there was one jam over 30kms long, just because of the volume of traffic.

The standard route for trouble free and zero tolls is Calais/Dunkirk to Lille - then into Belgium at Tournai, south-east swing to Mons, Charleloi, Namur before swinging south to Luxembourg. Fill up in Luxembourg as it is the cheapest fuel any where along the route. Then head for Germany. The route from then on can vary, although it is autobahn the whole way. I recently came via the A8/A6 to avoid serious roadworks near Karlsruhr, my sister drove down this month and used the A6 all the way to Nuremberg because of the delays on the A8. A good Navi will get you round most of the bigger jams. She did it alone in one go in 10 hours to me from Dunkirk.

It is a good idea to avoid travelling during the day on Saturdays if you can - leaving on a Thursday night or a Friday and taking a break is a more relaxed and less busy option if you can take it. The school half terms in Europe are usually staggered throughout February, so weekends can be a nightmare. Plus of course you get to ski the Saturday when the pistes can be pretty empty. It is illegal to take the kids out of school while they are open in Germany, so Friday nights and Saturdays are the worst days for traffic jams.

wink
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
twoodwar, We had 2 routes recommended - Sue's route above and one via Aachen, Koln, Frankfurt, Nurnburg down to Munich (which we used). Both around the same sort of time and distance so the choice could well be down to traffic and the roadworks on the A8. Best advice we had was to leave v. early on Friday morning and get down to Munich that night, then leave early on sat morning to miss the traffic on the A8 into Austria. I think that the UK, Holland, and some of Germany are all on the same half term again this year, so traffic could well be dire from Friday night onwards
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
twoodwar, Drove to Kaprun from Glasgow couple of summers ago, stopping of in Wurzburg on way down. Roads in Germany are very congested in our experience and several horrendous traffic jams both ways. On way down we drove overnight in UK to Dover then from Calais. On way back drove 11 hours to Rotterdam then overnight to Hull which was great. If I was doing again I would consider driving through France as the roads in France are a dream (again in our experience of 5/6 summer holidays in last 8 years or so). Don't know if any other folk have tried driving through France, ie head for Reims, them Metz (in fact that's what the AA routeplanner came up with there - Multimap was through Germany in main which lookes longer to me)
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Thanks to all so far above. Given what I know about French motorways (a bit), only the last 50k to Geneva are dodgy at half term. Sounds like a lot of British type roadworks and Jams in Germany. (I once took longer driving from Liverpool to Folkestone than from Calais to Samoen!). Sue thanks for the offer of info nearer the time - appreciated, and Flangesax, a bit of local knowledge early in our hols on the slope would be great.
Cheers,- further decent advice like the above still more than welcome.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Quote:

only the last 50k to Geneva are dodgy at half term.

Hmm. I've seen miles and miles of stationary vehicles, heading south, waiting for the péage north of Reims. I was driving north, and it took a while to get to the end of the queue. I also have friends who hit snow on the way home at half term and spent hours and hours just crawling much of the way north to Calais.
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Samerberg Sue, I am doing the same from nr Glasgow to Zell am See using the Hull- Rotterdam ferry. Leaving here on Friday 8th January and sailing overnight and returning Saturday 30th January. I am also taking the A6 route, heading east once south of Frankfurt and then south again past Nuremberg until I pick up the A8 at Munich.

I would welcome your (or anyone elses) opinion on a couple of things I have presumed based on my experiences of driving from Munich airport in the past.

1) I get off the ferry at about 9am on the Saturday morning and reckoned that as I will not be at Munich until 6pm at best then there should be no significant traffic on the A8 or the road from Siegsdorf through to Lofer on the Saturday evening- barring very bad weather etc...

2) On the way home leaving Zell at around 9am the traffic should be Ok as I will be going against the main rush of day and weekend skiers? That said I am not planning to make the ferry on the Saturday as I would have to be there by 7.30 pm. Plan is to stop around the German/ Dutch border and get the Sunday night ferry, although an alternative to make for the chunnel and save a day on the way home is still in my head ?

Any thoughts? Apologies twoodwar for hijacking your thread but i'm sure the answers will help you as well?
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
robboj, We left Kaprun at around 6/6.30 in morning drove all day to get to Rotterdam and just made the ferry by the skin of our teeth, mainly due to a couple of horrendous jams in Germany and one in Holland about 5 miles from Rotterdam - had we not had the traffic jams I reckon we would have cut around 2 hours off our journey - basically they shut the road, clear the accident then let the traffic move. From memory the road between Nurnberg and Munich is a dream both ways - like a very fast roller coaster. The trip could be done in the one go but based on the fact that I did not have to deal with winter weather it may be better doing in two lots????? Without doubt though the Rotterdam Hull crossing is great if you're coming from Glasgow as you get a good night's sleep then an easy 4 hour drive from Hull home.
Just a thought - would it be cheaper flying Edinburgh to Munich with easyJet, then hiring a car, since the Hull crossing is not a cheap one
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
ohh... this is not intended to bend the thread into a different direction but....

route 99 from Radstadt up to Obertauern is a road that contains a section with snow-chains on a blue sign...
what this means (honestly) is that it is a requirement to be carrying chains on this stretch of road.
I would also really consider having at least mud and snow or winter tyres for your trip too.
The road up to Obertauern is normally Ok but it can be hairy scary - I have never needed chains but really need winter treads!

You could stop down in Radstadt and bus up though if it is an emergency.

But then if you have winters you can take advantage of the tons of skiing that surround you rather than staying up at Obertauern (i think places within Ski Amade are much better but I have my reason wink ). I do like going up to Obertauern it is a well planned and decent resort but I just find it too short!
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Pam, -will be travelling early on the Friday morning, so hope to miss most traffic, and tending on the evidence of my experience and the seemingly unanimous advice that its better to travel through France as much as is reasonable rather than Germany due to road congestion( or relative lack of it in France, - also I was in the snow in Nornthern France that half term too!). We have deceided to stay overnight in Munich, before getting up to Obertauern early on Saturday, hoping to miss most of the Jams. Seriously in 3 half term trips through France , only really hit Jams approaching Geneva, - early start and a bit of luck I suppose. I will be buying Chains Flangesax, thanks for the advice, although having been to Obertauern once, the road is pretty decent compared to a few French ones I have been on.
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
boabski, Thanks for the advice. the trip out doesn't matter as the apartment agents are aware I may arrive very late on the Saturday night and are ok with that. The only problem is if I am unlucky enough to get a continent wide storm/snowfall that seriously delays me then I will just stop for the night and complete the outward journey on the Sunday. Same on the way back and I just don't want the hassle and pressure of the ferry deadline, although as I am one of these people who just wants to get home and get on at the end of a holiday I am wondering about coming back via the chunnel to save hanging around for a day in Holland?

The car is a Landrover Discovery with winter rated Goodyear Wranglers, so traction etc will be Ok - I think. If its so bad I need chains as well then I will definitely stop until the roads get clearer.

Considered the Easyjet flight as we've used that for the last few trips but TBH I am looking forward to the adventure of the drive and also with three weeks worth of kit, not having to worry about weights and all the other airline associated hassles. There are four others in the party who are all flying out via Munich and their flights are very cheap as they will only have hand luggage having sent all the kit and bulky gear out with me.
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
twoodwar, where abouts in the Uk are you starting from?

We were from Kent so don't have a lot of post-ferry driving to do when we visit.

We always drive it in one hit though (stayed overnight once in calais... never, ever again!)

With enough stops for a 1 year old mummy's milk fed baby and a 4 year old we still managed it all in one go (about 14 hours with lots of stops).

Ths would then alleviate most of your congestion issues!
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
I tend to reckon 50 miles per hour to include stops/traffic jams etc is a pretty accurate guide, even though I would average 80-90mph on motorways with all gear on car - roof box, 5 bikes etc. And robboj, better to journey than to arrive wink The drive past Munich is quite simply stunning - seeing the Alps after miles and miles of flat and boring countryside - seriously, next hill/mountain you will see after Cumbria (coming from Paisley) is the Alps
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
twoodwar, robboj, if you let me know closer to your departure dates I can recommend variations on the normal routes that you can programme into your Sat-Navs if you want. I've posted several links to traffic web-sites which are very useful - for example the police one for the whole of Bavaria. It has an English version for those of you who are "linguistically challenged" Blush

The Netherlands and Belgium have some huge long term roadworks which will continue into the winter most likely. Here in southern Germany most of the nastier types of roadworks are stopped for the duration of the winter. This is why the summer is such a PITA especially when Scandinavia starts its lemming-like migration to sunnier climes! I have links to traffic maps displaying those black spots, but you do need to understand basic German in order to make best use of them!

My best advice to anyone planning any trip is add time rather than take it off because of the supposed lack of speed limits in Germany. Then if you end up in resort early, be happy! rolling eyes There are few permanent fixed speed limits on German autobahns but loads of temporary controls, which as someone pointed out elsewhere, if you do not obey (see) can be extremely expensive. There are cameras measuring your distance from the car in front (Abstandsmessung) laser pistols, Gatsos, etc and there are absolutely no laws stating that you must be warned about their presence! The system of fines varies according to driving conditions, how much over you were (I've just been done for being 7 kph over in a village), whether you are in an urbanised area or not, is it after 21:00, etc. And the DLVA has recently signed an agreement to exchange driver details, so having a British plate does not get you off any more!

Sue Madeye-Smiley
snow report
Thanks Sue will do. Going through France then into Germany down south, (Michelin 'quickest route'). Needed to sort this so I could book a couple of Hotels. Thursday night in Ashford, (we are leaving tea time in Liverpool Flangesax), and Friday in Munich. All the German spped controls and Jams are the opposite of what I would have expected, and make France by far the best route for me.
snow report
We're planning a trip to Obertauern... likely to fly into Innsbruck. What do you think is the best transfer option? Am open to suggestions!
ski holidays
ski-finder,

Is Innsbruck really your best option??... Flying into Salzburg or even Munich is probably better...
Personally would stop short (all of 30 min) of Obertauern and check out stuff 'down' here anyway... I do like it up there but only for a day...
snow report
flangesax, no you're right was muddling my flight options... what makes you suggest not staying in Obertauern itself? We only stay for 3 nights my pass from the OH only last 4 days! Wink

We last went to Avoriaz and enjoyed being in the thick of the snow action, and ski in-out seems pretty rare in Austria.
latest report
Ski in Ski out is pretty priceless to me too. Avoriaz in another good resort of mine
ski holidays
ski-finder, to be honest for a 3 day quickie Obertauern is a good bet.. always close to the lifts and enough for a quickie...
I do love it up there but find the vertical a little short so get back to the lift a tad too quick...
All of the closest areas near obertauern are part of Ski Amade, so you can pick and choose where you want to go and have a bit of a tour!
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy