Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Peisey or Val D'Isere?

Poster: A snowHead
It's time for the year's most important decision to be made - the venue for 2010's skiing jollies!

We're a family of 4, with the two kids aged 7 and 6 (or at least they will be by the time we go.) Elder daughter will be in "Premier Etoile" and younger will be in "Flocon" assuming the ESF standards in Courchevel earlier this year are consistent with the rest of ESF. (No reason to assume they're not!)

Initial screening has got us down to either Peisey or Val, and we'll be going with Ski Esprit. (We've been twice before with them and had a good time, and at this stage it feels like just too much work to assess other TOs or go for the DIY option.)

So, any recommendations / info etc. from Snowheads with first hand experience of these resports with kids of the standards above would be much appreciated. We've skied Val D'Isere twice before in the "BC" area, but foolishly forget to consider the aspects of the resort from a "Family Skiing" perspective. (And if truth be known, after a few evenings in the Cafe Face, probably wouldn't remember them anyway!) Never been to Peisey.

The aim is to pick the kids up after lessons and ski with them in the afternoon, so challenging adult skiing is not top of our list of priorities. My knees take so long to warm up these days that I'm just into my stride each day when it's time to collect the kids! On a similarly age-related front, wild nightlife is definitely not required. In fact, nightlife of any description can probably be ruled out!

We'll be going for the first week of Feb, assuming that the Headmistress grants a bit of unauthorised absence... Very Happy

Thanks in advance for any suggestions that may be forthcoming. Or indeed any anecdotes that are not relevant but help you with your summer ski-withdrawal symptons!
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
The Flying Snowplough, We stayed in Peisey with Esprit. Have to admit the accomodation was good (though if you are not in the top chalet you have a huge amount of steps to climb potentially to get to the top) for a family I didn't like Peiesy. We like ski in ski out and car free resorts. To get to the ski lifts in Peisey you have to cross a road, not a main road but a road where cars travel fast. Peisey is also very long and spread out, shop was a bit of a trek. Each to thier own but Peisey wasn't for me. If you want more detailed feedback then PM me a number and I'll give you a call Monday.

As for going with Esprit they are great but after 3 years taking 3 kids I realised that buying a place was a cheaper option wink Cool

Oh yeah and our experience of ESF with Espirt in Peisey was awful. If you want your kids to spend a week having some lazy French bird bored wiht her job shout 'follow me, follow me' then go Peisey.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
I think the resort and the skiing will be a bit more child-friendly in Peisey than in Val d'Isere. Peisey has lots of gentle pistes through the trees and just about everyone can ski back to the resort.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
It has been a while but the answer you are looking for is la Rosiere....or Selva.
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
The Flying Snowplough, I suppose it boils down to whether you want to ski an amazing ski area that feels British (Val) of French (Peisey). Look into the alternatives for ski school in Peisey - BertieBasset has a fantastically detailed trip report about Peisey here . I'm not sure the comment about Peisey being spread out and Val not really stands up either. Both resorts have home runs that are steeper than Courchevel for the kids, so I suppose it depends how brave / confident they are? Frosty the Snowman, suggestion of La Ros might be worth thinking about. Peisey certainly fits your nightlife requirements!
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Mountain Haddock wrote:
Both resorts have home runs that are steeper than Courchevel for the kids

Peisey has gentle home runs, as well as a couple of nice reds; Val d'Isere doesn't (unless you're staying in La Dailee, and even then it's dubious that they should be described as 'gentle').
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
The Flying Snowplough, Just a further thought. Check out the Esprit place in Belle Plagne, car free, snow sure and central to all La Plagne runs. You can do a huge amount of damage to yourself in the morning while the kids are in ski school and still get back for 12-12.30? to meet them. Cool
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
rob@rar, Courchevel is FLAT just above 1800 though... but I agree. Peisey wins over Val with kids hands down for me
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Mountain Haddock, yes, C1860 offers extensive terrain for beginners.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
rob@rar, Has it gone up 10m since I was last there?

thefatcontroller, Interesting how people can have very different perceptions of the same place...now whilst I don't have kids of my own, I have skied with my nieces on a couple of family holidays, and when they were a little older than TFS's brood...I struggle to see how you call the road in Peisey 'fast' - sure there's some traffic around especially between 08:00 to 09:00 and some from about 16:30 to 17:30 but apart from that it's incredibly quiet. Yes the esprit chalets are across the road, but the child-care staff will walk the kids to/from the lift and make sure they are handed over correctly to the instructors - I've even seen that the ESF'ies sign to take responsibility off the kids from the Esprit team.

The Esprit chalets are no more than 200m from the steps just below the vanoise, so it's not totally ski-in, out but it could hardly be nearer, without paying an 'on-slope' premium. The 'esprit' hire-shop (sport 2000) is a bit of a walk away, but then the esprit staff arrange for the kids skis to be delivered to the lesson meeting point, so no need for dad to have to be sherpa. Ironically there is a small Intersport shop almost directly opposite the entry to the chalets

As to whether ESF is any good, well I've never been their biggest fan but my nieces had a great time in a couple of private lessons in Dec last year. As it's just 1st lessons then I can't really see that it's worth paying extra for lessons from the likes of New Gen or other schools, especially as it'll be the basics. Last season I saw a number of esprit kids learning with ESF, and once skiing a bit more on the mountain then often the Esprit child-carer would act as sweeper upper at the back of the group which I thought was a nice idea. Pretty much all the Esprit child-care crew I met, whilst young seemed very conscientious and were keen to see the kids enjoying themselves safely!

In terms of the runs then as Rob@rar has suggested there's a great windy blue down from the top station which all the kids ski down along after there first few days - most seem to get on with it fine as it is super flat in places and only a smidge tricky right at the bottom, but there is an alternate if the snow is good.

To my mind Plan-Peisey would be much better than Val D'izzle with kids - it's almost 'sleepy enough' out of high-season that you feel you could leave your front door unlocked and not worry about it. Not sure I'd say the same about VDI however. If you want true ski-in out then I do like TFC's idea of belle plagne, reckon that would tick those boxes nicely too. But be prepared for walking up and down a million steps to get to/from any shops or bar - and whilst it's car free watch out for people skiing too fast through the centre.

Here's to a fun holiday!
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Thanks for the advice folks. We've probably kicked Val into touch, but brought in Selva to the consideration as well. Belle Plagne did sound nice, but was a tad pricey for the Snowplough wallet. Sad

So, Peisey vs Selva to be considered further over a bottle of "neutral" wine on Friday night. Smile
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
The Flying Snowplough wrote:
Thanks for the advice folks. We've probably kicked Val into touch, but brought in Selva to the consideration as well. Belle Plagne did sound nice, but was a tad pricey for the Snowplough wallet. Sad

So, Peisey vs Selva to be considered further over a bottle of "neutral" wine on Friday night. Smile

If you have any specific Peisey q's then feel free to pm if you like...
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
bertie bassett, Thanks. First hand research beats the TO brochure any day!
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
rob@rar wrote:
Mountain Haddock, yes, C1860 offers extensive terrain for beginners.

Apparently C1850 is a fair bit lower than 1850m. When the resort was opened, it was branded "1850", so as to not be "outheighted" by Val D'Isere.

Top terrain for the ankle biters, though. Around 8 different green routes accessible via gondolas, including some through the trees.
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Apparently C1850 is a fair bit lower than 1850m. When the resort was opened, it was branded "1850", so as to not be "outheighted" by Val D'Isere.

Mane part of 1850 is at 1760m, IIRC. Val d'Isere is a bit lower than it's advertised height as well. And Arc 1800 is actually closer to 1715m.
ski holidays
rob@rar, The bottom of the stade in 1850 is listed as being at 1820m, there are chalets further up the road than this so you probably can get up to 1850m in the town.
snow conditions
bertie bassett wrote:

If you have any specific Peisey q's then feel free to pm if you like...

Bertie,

I've tried sending a PM, but I'm apparently "Down a crevasse". Not sure what that means, but it does prevent me from sending PMs! Maybe I could reply to one that you send to me, rather than have me clutter the Forum with a raft of what might strike sane people as a bizarre set of questions!!
latest report
The Flying Snowplough, I think 'down a crevasse' means that the powers that be dont have a valid email address for you Confused
ski holidays
The Flying Snowplough,
Quote:

clutter the Forum with a raft of what might strike sane people as a bizarre set of questions!!

It's not stopped anyone before Very Happy
Ask away, it'll be nice to see some snow orientated questions for a change and of course you'll get a set of bewilderingly different answers wink
ski holidays
Well, after a lengthy interlude to do the summer holiday thing, the decision was finally made, and Peisey it is. Selva's late bid was derailed by the fact that the potential lodgings was a chalet-hotel type thing, with some distance between the bedrooms and the dining room, and the thought of one or both Little Snowploughs going a wandering late at night was too much of a risk.

3 months tomorrow until we depart. I reckon if I initiate a turn now then the message will have made it from my dinosaur like brain to my flat feet in time for the first run of the holiday. Smile
ski holidays
The Flying Snowplough, a good choice IMHO.

Have been to Peisey Vallandry for the last 7 trips and think it is a lovely resort. Ideal for kids and great skiing easily accessable
snow report
http://www.familyski.co.uk/french-ski-holidays/ski-chalets-paradiski.aspx

Check out this chalet in Les Coches......just the other side of Vanoise Express to Peissey on the La Plagne side.

Chalet is on the piste where the ski-school meets and walk into town is negligible.

If booking ESF make sure you specify Sebastien's group for the kids. His World Ski Class is perfect for English speaking kids.

http://www.esf-montchavinlescoches.com/fr/bloclibre/index.php?titre=32
latest report
gravystuffing wrote:

Check out this chalet in Les Coches......just the other side of Vanoise Express to Peissey on the La Plagne side.

Chalet is on the piste where the ski-school meets and walk into town is negligible.

If booking ESF make sure you specify Sebastien's group for the kids. His World Ski Class is perfect for English speaking kids.

And who do you work for?
snow conditions
We have found Peisey-Vallandry is a great resort for mixed abilities - we have taken our kids there from pre ski days onwards. But I would disagree with the fatcontroller - our experience over about 4 trips with the local ESF was on the whole very good - possibly all that shows though is that there are some good and some poor instructors which is no surprise !

John
snow conditions
Peisey!

Great little place to stay, good access, enough bars and shops and great atmosphere! Very Happy
snow conditions
I go with a big group of families, so far we've been to Tremblant, Arc 1950, Vallandry and Tignes. Although I've been to Val D'Isere a couple of times with adults.

Tignes has come out as the favorite of the group by a street. This year will be the third year in a row. Most of them felt that the resort in Vallandry was a bit too steep and spread out, but they loved the skiing.
ski holidays
bertie bassett wrote:
gravystuffing wrote:

And who do you work for?

I am a guide for a Danish company called Trier Skirejser http://www.trierski.dk/guideservice/alleguider.lasso?sted=lc
My wife is Danish NehNeh

I have and have never had any connection with FamilySki but I do know plenty about Les Coches and think it's a shame that more English folk do not understand the benefits of it as a resort.

In fact any SnowHeads who need any information about Les Coches please feel free to ask Madeye-Smiley

If anyone thinks my advice is not impartial please feel free to critisize Shocked
latest report
gravystuffing wrote:
I have and have never had any connection with FamilySki but I do know plenty about Les Coches and think it's a shame that more English folk do not understand the benefits of it as a resort....................

If anyone thinks my advice is not impartial please feel free to critisize Shocked

We did 4 or is it 5 holidays in Montchavin so we know this area quite well. To be honest given the choice between Les Coches or Montchavin we would take Montchavin. We looked at buying and if Montchavin was 800m higher would have bought there. There is no denying that this side can get icy but the real beauty of Montchavin and Les Coches is the proximity to the Vanoise and also the ease of access to the much busier spots of Belle Plagne and Plagne Bellecote and the glorious runs in La Plagne.

You will find gravystuffing that there are a few posters on here who don't like the busy link down to the Vanoise (however isn't Pierre Blanche one of the most beautiful runs you can do Cool Cool ) and it can get icy (while it can be icy Peisey can be a slushy hell). If anyone mentions Les Coches it is immediately shot down but you are right it is a hidden gem. Personally I would prefer Les Coches to Plan Peisey but my heart lies in Montchavin but I like snow sure so we bought in Arc 2000 Embarassed .
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Pre-Plan Bois lift upgrade I might have agreed. It is now more marginal. Also if buying, Montchavin has more real Savoyard village for your money especially in the summer.

For British holiday skiers though I think Les Coches is a clear winner. Most of the "British" chalets have ready access to Plan Bois 6 man high speed lift. This option is not good for beginners however but most companies run their guests round to the "patinoire" although that's no longer necessary since the opening of the Telebufette link between the bottom and top village lifts. Also Les Coches has The Last One Pub wink

The reason Les Coches doesn't get publicity with the Brits is that NO major UK operators use the resort.

Check out these UK operators if you want to give Les Coches a try:-

http://www.ski-lasource.com/

http://www.finlayski.com/laplagne.htm

http://www.ridersrepublic.com/
snow report
gravystuffing, Sadly one of the favourite aspects of Montchavin for us was the smell of cow wee wee from the cows being put up for Winter under the houses in the Village. You don't get that in many Alpine resorts, good for clearing the sinses.

Someone high up in Les Coches must have a friend in high places in the lift company as it has one hell of a lot of lifts and fast ones too (unlike Montalbert) Toofy Grin
ski holidays
The old (in more ways than one) mayor of Bellentre was replaced (amazingly after 23 years I think) by a much younger ski instructor who is from one of the established French families from Montchavin. Bellentre was one of the original villages that got together to establish La Plagne to replace the mines so it has always had to be "accommodated".

Now we have a young ski minded mayor expect to see things moving forward all the more. Fingers crossed. Very Happy
snow report
To all Peisey / Val experts ... we are staying in Peisey with Esprit next week. My wife and I fancy a cheeky trip to VDI one day (I believe the Paradiski pass allows you to do that?). What's best way of getting there and is it worth it (we've both skied VDI lots but not for a couple of years so this is not a case of popping over to see what it's like)?

Thanks
snow conditions
not that easy to get there and getting back in time for childcare pick up high tea would be a complete nightmare (Argentiere to Chamonix is bad enough but VDI to Peisey seems like madness!

Either-

hire a car- £ silly

taxi- £sillier

Peisey- ski to les Arcs- down as far as possible- funicular to Bourg- bus / taxi- possible- and reverse

Peisey - ski to Villaroger- taxi to Val Disere- ski to Tignes- col du Palet- ski to Champagny-ski to la Plagne- North Face Bellcote- Nancroix- Peisey?- £ not too much- but might not be ideal.
snow conditions
ed123,

Blimey - not sure OH can cope with this!

Hmm - I think it would work better if she stayed behind to make 100% sure the little one was picked from tea on time ... but it doesn't matter what time daddy gets back, does it?

Thanks
ski holidays
franga, You are staying in Peisey with 460km of piste on your doorstep and you want a day trip to Little England?
latest report
thefatcontroller Very Happy
snow report
thefatcontroller,
Quote:

You are staying in Peisey with 460km of piste on your doorstep and you want a day trip to Little England?
Words of true wisdom!

Why would one even dream of such a thing?
snow report
I think the Villaroger- taxi- Val- Tignes- Col du Palet- Champagny- North Face idea is great myself!
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy