Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Bulgaria skiing over New Year 09

Poster: A snowHead
Hi, we are a group of 2 couples and a 5 year old who have all ski'd before, although myself and my son (5 year old) are beginners. My first experience with ski schools was in Austria where my son came on leaps and bounds and was skiing 4 hours a day (2 hours in the morning, 2 in the afternooon) for 6 days.

My query is, any recommendations for a good ski school for him in Bulgaria, either Borovets or Bansko ? We are all aware that Bulgaria is budget so are not going to compare with other resorts we have been to, but our main priority is that our son is well catered for. We do want him to learn to ski, not just a creche and dont mind if it is only 2 hours a day and the rest is play provided he does do some skiing.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!!!! Need to book somewhere soon.
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Hi
i first learnt to ski in bansko and have since hired instructors in many different resorts and out of them all the instructors from ulen ski school in bansko were about the best i have had, within the first week they had me skiing down reds fairly confidently. Also they are extremely friendly and are always up for a laugh. There was no difficulty with the language barrier as they spoke very good english and in are case better than some of the irish in are group. Regarding your son i think he will love the ski school as you always see the kids laughing there way down the slopes. In my opinion Ulen are the best ski school i have used.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Wouldn't touch Ulen or Bansko with a barge pole. Confused
We've had very poor experiences with both.

Last edited by Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see? on Wed 29-07-09 13:44; edited 1 time in total
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
allisonmcdonald, I think you know the answer yourself! Use the search button here to get an honest reflection of the place. Many snowHead s have been and had mixed reports about the place. Have a good trip wherever you decide!
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Mollerski wrote:
Wouldn't touch Ulen or Bansko with a barge pole. Confused
We've had very poor experiences with both.

The OP has already stressed that they are going there on a budget and won't compare with other resorts. I really don't see how your post is helpful when they have already decided to go there anyway and are enquiring about ski schools.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Libertine, just because it is budget, doesnt mean you should put up with an awful experience. The OP is also picking between Borovets and Bankso so knowing more about each is important.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Nadenoodlee wrote:
Libertine, just because it is budget, doesnt mean you should put up with an awful experience. The OP is also picking between Borovets and Bankso so knowing more about each is important.

Fair point. I've no desire to go to bulgaria but it's just if they've already decided I guess the focus should be helping them make the best of it - so your point about bankso vs borovets is relevant.
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
I have no experience of Borovets having not been there. I do have experience of Bansko having spent over 6 weeks there in total. I cannot recommend either the resort or Ulen instructors. We had a particularly poor experience with a female Ulen Snowboard instructor and many of them don't appear to be particularly good skiers themselves.

As for 'budget'? Don't be fooled into thinking that eastern europe equates to good value. Lesser known central european resorts can be as cheap, but hugely more enjoyable.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
I really really don't mean this to sound sarcastic , I am just interested. How did you end up spending 6 weeks there if you hated the place?
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Libertine, there's a good answer to that question, which Mollerski will no doubt reveal in due course.....
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
The in-laws bought an apartment in Bansko. It was only fair to give the place a fair chance, I wont be returning. Sad
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
I've posted this before - skiing may be OK in Bulgaria but don't injure yourself - medical care is not up to Western European standards. Pay a bit more and get a much better experience. There are penty of good ski schools for kids in France, Austria, Switzerland etc. which others will tell you about.
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Mollerski wrote:
The in-laws bought an apartment in Bansko. It was only fair to give the place a fair chance, I wont be returning. Sad

Funny you say that as my sister's ex had an apartment there but funnily enough we never used it!
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Libertine wrote:
Mollerski wrote:

Funny you say that as my sister's ex had an apartment there but funnily enough we never used it!

Not such a coincidence, as they've built 15,000 of them with just the one gondola and 70km's of skiing. Sad
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Mollerski, Shocked 15,000 apartments?
latest report
pam w wrote:
Mollerski, Shocked 15,000 apartments?

When all current development is completed, there will be 30,000 beds in Bansko. The majority of apartments are 1 or 2 bedroom. Any future development will further add to the problem. There's talk of adding another gondola and expanding the ski area. If either happen, it wont be for years. Corruption and rampant over-development have ruined the place.
snow report
allisonmcdonald, Back to your original question...
Sorry to put a downer on Bulgaria but we had a poor experience of ski-school for our 2 children when we went - they don't really seem to do ski-school for kids its either creche with a token gesture at ski tuition or they have to do adult lessons and they have to be 8 for this. If you are looking for good value and good ski-school provision I would suggest Austria as much better value. I always thought Austria was expensive but our Austrian holiday was only marginally more expensive than the Bulgarian one and the kids had a far better time and therefore so did we! Last year went to Ellmau with Crystal staying at Alpenhof which was almost exclusively families so very relaxed.
Whatever you decide have a good time.
Zwee.
snow report
allisonmcdonald, I have been to Bansko but not Borovets, Bansko has terrible ques for the gondola unless your there for 8:30 if your there for 9:30 forget it!!!
It is cheaper than Austria but not by a long shot, whilst there i only seen a ski kindergarten at the top of the gondola it was like a little playground with tunnels etc for the kids to play and learn. There is an option of private tuition in Bulgaria which is very reasonable.
I hear Borovets is more ski in ski out resort with a pretty good snow record and new and improved snow making check out www.skidvd.co.uk your questions will be answered there.
snow report
I had my stag week in Bansko in 2006 and it was great. Bansko is one of those places that has great potential if it's not destroyed by greed. The back country is unreal but due to the problems listed above I'd rather ski in Austria which IMO is just as cheap apart from beer prices. If you do go to Bansko. Go end of Jan or end of March when the crowds are few.
snow report
Also Italy, if you avoid the mega-resorts, especially France, a superb, good value holiday can be had.
latest report
Mollerski, Agree totally. Italy can be great value.

allisonmcdonald, I did not want to say the things that others have said on a first poster. Value for money may not be as you think! The money may be cheap but so can the quality be and as such you have to think what is the "value" on offer.

If you are going to Bansko, just as romeowner, get the kids up the mountain before the crowds. There was a picture of a lift queue somewhere on this site, which looked horendous!
snow report
allisonmcdonald, Having been to Bulgaria (Borovets) once, many years ago, and never tempted back, I couldn't recommend it on any level. If budget is an issue, perhaps consider the Pyrenees or Andorra? Better value, decent snow record, good ski schools etc. The apartment residences often have good facilities, such as swimming pools, which are a great (free.....) bonus for families
latest report
allisonmcdonald, can't add to comments on Bulgaria. Sorry you've had such an ear bashing, but it really does sound grim. I just can't be bothered with queues, let alone big ones. I'd lose the will to live, let alone ski, in a queue of an hour and a half, especially with kids.

Your best bet for "budget" might be to choose a quiet week (say, mid-January) and do a last minute booking, being flexible about your destination. In busy weeks you can't afford to book ski schools late, but in mid Jan it should be fine.

Some resorts do family lift pass offers, which would help. We did once book a very cheap holiday for a group, including 5 kids, with Snowcoach - I booked it at the October ski show and they offered free insurance for everyone and free ski and boot hire for kids, as a booking incentive. Travel by coach saved a packet, and was a lot easier than a transatlantic charter flight - luggage in the bus in Dover, and handed out to us at the door of our accommodation.

Hope you sort out something nice.
snowHead
ski holidays
Somewhere like Canazei or Alba in Italy could be good value. The Val Di Fassa valley is cheaper than the Val Gardena valley, you'd have access to the same ski areas on the Superski skipass, the ski schools are World class. As mentioned, if you go for a slack week, a cracking deal should be available. wink
snow report
Mollerski, mmmmmmmm, beautiful area. However do not promote it too much wink
snow report
Roy Hockley wrote:
Mollerski, mmmmmmmm, beautiful area. However do not promote it too much wink

Sorry, I'll keep schtum. wink

We're in Selva from Dec 19 to 26. Madeye-Smiley
latest report
I wish that buying apartments in Italy was as straightforward as it is in France - I'd love to have a place down there somewhere.
snow report
pam w wrote:
I wish that buying apartments in Italy was as straightforward as it is in France - I'd love to have a place down there somewhere.

The Italian Sud Tirol region has a very strict locals only policy to property ownership, non-local Italians can't buy there. It's possible to buy in the Aosta Valley area I believe.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy