Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Newbie needs help please...

Poster: A snowHead
Hi all,

I am a dsiabled ex-serviceman and am desperate to get involved in skiing. I have already learned to kayak surf because my injuries make stand-up surfing impossible, and now it's time to hit some snow. My problem is with trying to find places in the South West that cater for sit-skiers.

Can anyone recommend somewhere in the South-West, preferably Devon, where I can get good quality sit ski instruction please?

Also, wher can you buy adaptive ski equipment in the UK?

Thanks,

Chris
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Hi Chris,
I'd suggest for your first time in a sit-ski that you travel to one of the indoor snow slopes... I believe that The Snow Centre in Hemel Hempstead now have adaptive ski instructors available or try contacting Disability Snowsport Uk www.disabilitysnowsport.org.uk
As you say that you have learnt to kayak surf, it would suggest that you have sufficient muscle groups, strength and co-ordination to be able to monoski. Learning to monoski on an artificial surface such as Dendex, Snowflex etc. is extremely difficult... Sliding and skidding on snow is much easier, so you can be more subtle with your movements which is important when monoskiing.

There are a few different monoskis on the market and they all feel different to ski. They all have slightly different geometry, which means that the sitting position and the way they feel when they are skied is slightly different. If you can, try out as many different makes as possible before you buy one and find the one that suits you best. In Europe, there are two manufacturers - Praschberger www.praschberger.com based near Kufstein, Austria and Tessier www.dualski.com based in France. In the U.S. there are several small manufacturers, the most readily available is the Freedom Factory Revolution, sold by Spokes 'n Motion www.spokesnmotion.com

I hope this helps... And good luck Very Happy The first couple of days are maddeningly frustrating while you figure out where your balance point is, but once that's over its great fun!
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
chris-uk, Hi Chris.
Welcome to snowHeads and good luck with your quest snowHead
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
chris-uk, welcome to snowHeads!

Have you heard of the Battle Back programme? There's info about it here:

http://www.mod.uk/DefenceInternet/AboutDefence/WhatWeDo/TrainingandExercises/BattleBack/

However, reading it I think it may be for current rather than ex service personnel?
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Sara: Thank you very much, that is some great info and I will follow up on the Hemmel Hempstead lead. My other option is Castleford at Leeds because my Brother lives very close by and also skis, so I could go and stay and ski with him. Is it easy to find many sit skis to try out, do the schools have a variety?

Iski: Thanks, I'm sure I'll be on here a lot more! See you soon...

Beanie: Yes it is for serving personnel, and I'm struggling to find much in the way of help for ex-servicemen trying to get into the sport. I did approach the British Legion, who helpfully spent £2k fitting a stairlift into my house, but can't help with sporting equipment. My next stop is the regimental fund...

Thanks all,

Chris
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Hi Chris,
DSUK used to have an adaptive instructor who divided their teaching time between Castleford and Chill Factore. Not sure if they still go to Castleford... Be worth asking though.

As for equipment, I don't know exactly what each centre has access to. If you were looking to have a ski holiday, Redpoint Holidays have excellent adaptive instructors and would be able to rent a Praschberger monoski for you to try. http://www.redpoint.co.uk/disabled-holidays.shtml

I'm trying to think of any monoskiers in your area that you could talk to... Drawing a blank at the moment though wink
I know there are several monoskiers who ski recreationally together who met through The BackUp Trust http://www.backuptrust.org.uk/ Its a charity specifically for people with spinal cord injury - you don't say what your disability is, so this may or not be of use to you!

If you have any more questions, just ask Smile
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
I have been in touch with Rachel who does the coaching, hope to sort something out soon at Castleford. I LOVE the look of Redpoint Cool

My legs are my problem, both knees, left foot and ankle too.

Thanks again Sara, I really appreciate your help Very Happy

Chris
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
chris-uk, did you get up to Castleford? Would be keen to hear how you got on with your lesson.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
chris-uk,

Chris,
I am a sit skier local to you get in touch I'm sure I can help.
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
bob-skier, Welcome to snowHeads snowHead
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
chris-uk, La Plagne is the French national centre for disabled skiing there website is here
http://pagesperso-orange.fr/antenne.handicap/ A friend of ours spends a week there skiing every other year and thoroughly enjoys himself Very Happy
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
bob-skier, welcome to Snowheads!
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
There's some very good adaptive ski teaching at Gloucester. They teach the mono ski , rather than the bi-ski used at Tamworth, which sounds just right for you. If you give the slope a ring they will give you details.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Hi all,

Thanks for all the feedback. Unfortunately I have recently been diagnosed with Fibromyalgia, on top of what I already have, which is a muscular form of arthritis. One of the biggest effects of this is fiscal. I have been forced to cut my working hours in half and so now my earnings have been halved too. I'm getting some help from the British Legion at the moment, but realistically I won't be able to afford a snow holiday for at least a year.

It's still a long-term goal, and I'll get on the snow before I'm 40 (I'm 36 now).

Hope you all have a good season and a great xmas/new year.

Chris
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
chris-uk, I have CFS which is very similar(in fact many CFS sufferers have FM as well)... Check out the Marshall Protocol - not an easy treatment but I'm part way through atm and can see improvement... and I've had CFS for around 15 years now with only slow progress and many flare ups...

You have my sympathy re the cutting work - nasty disease with wide ranging effects... and the best bit is you "look normal" and no-one can work out why you have no staying power! For what it is worth one of the CFS experts estimates the effects are far broader ranging than on MS sufferers - but with suitably less support or sympathy even from the medical establishment.
snow conditions
Tamworth now have a RPC mono and a qualified instructor..
latest report
slugcrusher, welcome to Snowheads!
snow report
Hi Chris, well done for being open to new ideas and challenges! I am adaptive ski instructor as well and I have used nearly all adaptive equipment during my lessons (various models of mono-ski as well). I am more than happy to advice you regarding which mono-ski to get. Depending on your disability, what you ned it for and what your budget is I will do my best to provide you with the best advice. I work as an adaptive ski instructor and I am selling adaptive equipment. As info regarding your disability etc. is personal you are more then welcome to contact me via email: dom@activetherapy.eu . For more info please visit my website as well www.activetherapy.eu or my Facebook page: http://www.facebook.com/pages/Active-Therapy/113239172030267 - for any news Smile

All the best, Dom
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy