Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Best Place for Tuition? Upper Intermediate/Advanced

Poster: A snowHead
Yep - it's another "where shall i go on my holiday" thread!

My partner and I have decided the time has come for some more lessons. After years of skiing on our own we have realised that we have hit a bit of a plateau and would probably benefit from some proper tuition.

In short, we are looking for higher intermediate / advanced schooling that will help us improve our technique on moguls and possibly give us an intro to some off piste.

I'm a bit loathe to rely on something like ESF as, despite having had good experiences myself, I know that these kind of scholls are a bit hit and miss.

I've been looking at easiski in LDA (but am a bit put off by the slatings that the resort gets in reviews) and Warren Smith (but the price is a bit hefty).

Anybody got any others i could look at or any suggestions?

Cheers

Sarah.
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
magic_hat, I think Warren compares favorably with conventional ski school price wise. With him you are getting full days of instruction as opposed to less than 3 hours with ESF and I think all of his instructors are qualified to ISTD level. I've only done one day with Warren Smith but was well impressed with the individual attention everyone in the group got. Their ability to see what you are doing wrong explain it to you and help you put it right is top class.
Similarly Snoworks get good reviews here and may offer more different packages in a variety of resorts.
These type of courses cannot really be compared with ski school its a different product with a more skills based focus and IMO is the type of thing you are looking for to get off the plateau.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
magic_hat, I wouldn't be put off LDA by bad reviews. I've not stayed there a full week, but been there for a couple of short breaks and a few pass-throughs. I've not been to many resort type ski stations, but it's better than most that I've been to. What RPF says about looking for a skills-based (this definately seems to be the in vogue buzz-word at present Wink ) instruction course is right on the money, if you have any kind of analytical approach to your skiing. I really took off when I went on a Snoworks course, and I'm led to believe easiski takes that approach too - maybe breaks it down a different way but takes a similar style of approach.
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Quote:

I think all of his instructors are qualified to ISTD level

not that it matters that much but actually i dont think any are....

GrahamN, This whole "skills based" thing that has popped up on snowheads is a bit amusing. i think it started from Fastmans dvd's and in the states might be a buzz word. BASI's training syllabus has been skills based for over 20 years.....
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
skimottaret, I hesitate to disagree, but everything I've ever seen BASI do has been much more form based that pure skills based. You have to look at race training for the real mcCoy IMO, and that approach. Phil Smith indroduced the skills approach many years ago (early 80s), but it doesn't go nearly as far as the sort of thing that myself and Fastman do.

magic_hat, What part of the reports are you unhappy about? I sometimes see reports and think 'they didn't come here'! Specify and I can advise.
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Quote:

Quote:

I think all of his instructors are qualified to ISTD level

not that it matters that much but actually i dont think any are....

Sorry don't mean to mislead Embarassed
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
easiski, you could be right that it doesnt go as far as race training will do and can see your point at the L1 and L2 level but all the ISIA courses i have done have been very focused on skills development and body mechanics. The trainers at that level constantly talk about getting rid of the old BASI "look", check out any of the later DVD's that Sean L / BASI has produced
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
magic_hat, there are lots of British ski schools that are able to offer high level lessons/performance courses where you would get a top qualified, British Instructor. I would recommend Tignes as it's a great resort to find moguls and off piste, and it's part of the Espace Killy. Have heard good things about Ultimate Snowsports in Tignes, think their instructors may sometimes work for Snoworks too.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
skimottaret wrote:
The trainers at that level constantly talk about getting rid of the old BASI "look", check out any of the later DVD's that Sean L / BASI has produced

I think that's right. For example, I've shadowed some of the L1 and Refresher courses at Hemel in the last few weeks, run by several different Trainers, and I didn't see anything which was about the 'BASI look'. It was all about effective and efficient skiing, talking about skills required rather then the form that you must demonstrate.

easiski, I think you'd be pleased/surprised by how much BASI is undergoing a revolution these days Smile
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
magic_hat, do you want to do a week long course (of the type run by places like Snoworks, Warren Smith, etc), coaching clinics (run by the likes of Mountain Master, NewGen, etc), some high quality private lessons, or something else?
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
magic_hat, look at reports from this camp http://www.snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?t=51492&start=400 and go visit easiski, or take a trip to Colorado and visit Fastman Toofy Grin
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
magic_hat, I've been on both a Snoworks and Inspired to Ski course - both very good! From the description of what you're after I think either would suit. With regards to price, a week in Courchevel with Inspired to Ski in a Mark Warner chalet is £665 including flights and transfers - the instruction for 5 half days is £250 on top of that, although I see they've still got Early Bird offer for a discount of £30 off the instruction. I think that's pretty good for a catered week in the centre of Courchevel 1850.
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
skimottaret, rob@rar, I hopr you're right, but I'm not seeing this in the BASI ISIAs who come out here and certainly not in the L1/2 types. Theyve been talking about this for 20+ years, but I've yet to see it in other than ISTD level skiers. Shocked It's not so much a question of the BASI 'look' but too much emphasis on position and not enough on skill. Perhaps we just haven't had any good ones out here? It's possible.

cathy, Over £900 pp (£s mind you) - reasonable? blimey! rolling eyes Take about £2-300 pp off that.
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
easiski, £885. Can you tell me then where I can get £200-£300 off that for a full week catered, flights, transfers and top quality instruction, in the centre of Courchevel in mid-Jan?
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
cathy, if that includes flights and catered accommodation that sounds like a good deal to me.
latest report
cathy, beanie1, and me.

Besides just in case the OP was looking to spend less than that then they could consider for example, Tignes, in late Nov/early Dec or early Dec with Inspired to Ski, with prices starting at £389 including flights and transfers and catered chalet accomodation, which is a 5 star chalet with indoor pool and sauna on Skiworld's rating (I can vouch that it is very nice and the food is good also) plus the £250 course fee, so all in would be £639 including the tuition which is fantastic.

The Tignes weeks are ace, I've never been disappointed and I reckon £639 is an absolute bargain for what you're getting from them, calibre of the tuition etc which is what prompted me to try them in the first place actually and I've been back a few times since. I've been to Courchevel in the January too and that was really good also.

magic_hat, you ought to have a look at them as one of your options.
latest report
Skivolution.

Courcheval (okay, only the lower villages of Le Praz/La Tania, but no worse for that). Chalet board. Excellent British instruction from a well-established team.

We used them extensively for getting off the intermediate plateau. It's just unfortunate that they work out bl**dy expensive for the family of four that we are now.

www.skivolution.co.uk

(no connection, except as a customer. But give our regards to Dave!)
latest report
RobW, yep I've heard good things about them in the past too.
snow conditions
magic_hat, you could also look at World Class Skiing, run by BASI trainer Alex Leaf.

http://www.worldclassskiing.net/home.aspx

I've done one of these courses before and would thoroughly reccomend.
ski holidays
cathy, beanie1, VolklAttivaS5, indeed. I could not recommend the whole Inspired to Ski package more highly.
snow report
cathy, Courcheval maybe - but that is outrageously expensive anyway. Why pay so much more than you need to - just for the 'snob' value of the 3V?? I could arrange half board (nice hotel good food), lift pass and max 4 group lessons for under 790, cheap flights to Grenoble and even cheaper transfer to resort on bus .... Do you wonder that I get so irate when peeps keep saying how expensive France is?
latest report
easiski, does the 790 euros include the flights and transfers?
snow report
easiski, thank you, but I don't go to Courchevel for the 'snob value'. For cheaper holidays I go to Austria.
latest report
easiski wrote:
cathy, Courcheval maybe - but that is outrageously expensive anyway. Why pay so much more than you need to - just for the 'snob' value of the 3V?

When I was visiting Courchevel for holidays it wasn't the snob value that kept me going back. It was the great rage of terrain, the modern lift system, good snow management, and two or three instructors that I liked to ski with. At the time I didn't even know there was a snob value to Courchevel, in fact I'm not sure there is a snob value at all. It's very easy to spend a complete fortune there, so some people might be equating snob value with expensive? However, it's not difficult to stay in budget accommodation and avoid the most expensive apres ski venues. I stayed there last March in a nice catered chalet and didn't have to spend the family inheritance to be there. Courchevel will never be cheap, but it can be good value for money if you like the experience that it, and the rest of the Trois Vallees, offers.
ski holidays
rob@rar, exactly. I always tot up the cost of my ski holidays and by being only slightly careful about what I spent on food and drink - and cathy will no doubt confirm, I wasn't that careful wink - when I was skiing with ItS in Courchevel in January, I spent no more than normal in France or Switzerland - except that, this time, the holiday included some brilliant and enjoyable tuition.
ski holidays
easiski, €790 sounds fantastic Very Happy but wont be able to do it this year Sad as I'm doing a season somewhere else Very Happy

I have mixed emoticons Very Happy Sad Toofy Grin wink (and too much time on my hands rolling eyes right back to work Crying or Very sad )

Love 3V too for variety of terain, but Les Menuires self catered is my idea of fun next time I'll shop at the bottom of the Valley rather than in resort though. Anywhere in 3V you need to keep your wits or you will be parted with your cash quickly.
latest report
rob@rar, agreed - in fact the 'Snob Value' as promoted by some, nearly put me off going there. rolling eyes The terrain is amazing and if you are careful you can eat out as cheaply there as any other French resort. We ate in the 1650 village for lunch 2 courses for 10€ ish and stayed in a Chalet Hotel so afternoon tea and wine with meals all included @ £600 inc flights. I would definitely go back there. Very Happy
snow report
cathy, I bet LDA could rival most Austrian places - we're not all that expensive - the prices people have been quoting on this forum for the Savoie and Tarantaise resorts have been disgusting, and we're all being tarred with the same brush. Twisted Evil Ryanair Stansted/Grenoble is currently £64 return including all taxes on a Friday + bus to Grenoble station = €22 return. Bus up from there is about €10 return. ergo: return transport to the UK + the above about £744 in all.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
easiski, I'm actually quite insulted at your suggestion I go skiing in resorts for the snob value. I haven't got the slightest desire to ski in Les Deux Alpes and I don't go skiing in places just because they're cheap - I go skiing where I want to go.

And I don't like being told where I should go skiing.
snow report
cathy, I don't think easiski was intending to be personal, this is just some kind of marketing effort on her part. Utterly misguided, unfortunately. Sad
ski holidays
cathy, Hurtle, I constantly read how expensive France is on this forum, and it's not necessary true. LDA has world class skiing at a very reasonable price, and I get annoyed to have all of France put into the same category - this has been going on the whole time I've been a snowhead, which is virtually from the start.

I am not saying you go to Courcheval for the snob value, but that it exists, and that courcheval is very expensive. Incidentally I was also shocked by the prices in Les Arcs, Tignes, Val D and Val T. Your contention that £915 was reasonable was what I was taking issue with. That sounds very expensive to me.
ski holidays
Quote:
I constantly read how expensive France is on this forum and it's not necessary true

Quote:
Incidentally I was also shocked by the prices in Les Arcs, Tignes, Val D and Val T

Quote:
Besides just in case the OP was looking to spend less than that then they could consider for example, Tignes, in late Nov/early Dec or early Dec with Inspired to Ski, with prices starting at £389 including flights and transfers and catered chalet accomodation, which is a 5 star chalet with indoor pool and sauna on Skiworld's rating (I can vouch that it is very nice and the food is good also) plus the £250 course fee, so all in would be £639 including the tuition which is fantastic.

My post requoted above about Tignes in this thread demonstrates that it is possible to have high standard accomodation and high quality instruction at a very reasonable price there.
snow report
I've just had a think about this and like rob@rar and IncogSkiSno I don't think I've spent any more money when I've visited The Three Valleys and Espace Killy than I've spent going anywhere else, including Austria. Yeah people can spend silly money on expensive lunches if they want but there are expensive restaurants in every resort like there are expensive restaurants in every city, and reasonably priced restaurants. I don't spend silly money on things wherever I go so I agree with the others that big French resorts don't have to be expensive unless you want them to be. Also the lift pass prices normally are proportional to the amount of terrain the pass covers, so naturally the Three Valleys pass will be more than the Espace Killy pass because it covers 300km more and so on and so forth. Smaller resorts are bound to have cheaper lift passes and I'm sure most people are well aware that that's a given when they are choosing where to go on their holidays.
snow conditions
CliveTT wrote:
have you guys ever tried tdc, all brit coaches running clinics out of Val and Tignes. i've heard good things about them and i think they're all BASI qualified?
had some private lessons with TDC in Nov last year - absolutely excellent...
snow report
CliveTT wrote:
cool might try them myself, going to Val early season and they have some early season clinics publicised - recommend anyone in particular?
my lessons where with James Stewart Hunter, who was on the Tignes side of the hill - I do quite like the look of their pre-season clinics myself...better go find those pennies down the back of the sofa..
snow conditions
magic_hat, have a look at staying somewhere in Serre Chevalier - Monetier if possible - and book some time with Gavin Crosby at EurekaSKI. I took some lessons in a small group (three people) a couple of years back - he had me finding the front of my boots very quickly indeed! I'm seriously considering taking the family back to Serre Che so I can get some more time in with him...

His wife Mel can help you find somewhere to stay as well if you need a hand with that.
snow report
Did I miss the bit that said must be in Europe? For what you are looking for I'd be heading across the pond...
snow report
stuarth, why? As listed above, there's numerous places that could offer this in Europe. Not to say don't consider N America too, but what the OP is looking for can certainly be found in Europe.
snow conditions
I'd recommend a Jagged Globe course for both value and content:

http://www.jagged-globe.co.uk/ski/offpiste.html

For example the Piste Perfection course based in the 3 Valleys is only £395 for the week - but you have to find your own way to Brides. (That's Mrs A in the team photo Wink )
snow conditions
magic_hat, i went to LDA 2 years ago and i found the resort to be pretty damn good, what were the poor reviews you were reading? apart from a slight bottleneck mid mountain (which can be avoided, especially if you are getting instruction!) it has some great runs for someone at your level.

The problem only comes if you can't ski the black runs back to the resort, which i expect is what the poor reviews are focussed on. But if you can ski them they're really enjoyable runs, and with lots to offer (steep if you want it, moguls if you want it, off piste if you want it etc etc) i loved it and would def recommend it. and you'd get the bonus of great instruction from easiski.
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy