Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Austrian Snow report Winter 2009/2010

Poster: A snowHead
boyddegs, Are they sure? looks a bit warm and sunny? Puzzled

http://www.panoramablick.com/index.php?nav_id=184&kat_id=3386&cam_id=2829&lang=de&action=showkat
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
boyddegs, highly unlikely today as we have Föhn winds - from the south/south west and warming up as they come over the Alps. According to my usual weather site it's +10°C right now in the village and +3°C at 1369m And the satellite pictures and web cams show that it's a glorious sunny autumnal day in fact!

It did snow at the weekend though, quite a lot in fact as the web cams show!

wink
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Agreed.

It looks like everything in Austria below 2000m will get battered over the next 1 to 5 days.

Rain and sun will wash away most of the early snow:

http://www.saalbach.at/Weather-up-to-date.95.0.html?&L=1
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Saalbach Hinterglem Looking VERY good
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
stanton,
Valley Middle Mountain
Snow heights 10cm 50cm 80cm
New fallen snow 5cm 15cm 20cm
A foretaste of things to come, but, though it pains me to admit it, they are right - it's far too warm and the ground isn't yet frozen, so it can't last. However, on the postive side, the locals report that it looks gorgeous and they are excited about it, and part of the system is opening for skiing this coming weekend - the earliest start ever. Alas, the webcams won't be a pretty sight next week though.
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Lower slopes at Saalbach already browned up. They were white yesterday:

http://www.saalbach.at/Live-Cams.94.0.html?&L=1
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Leogang reports 70cm snow on the top at the moment. After operating this week-end they stop the lifts for inspection and maintenance. Planned re-opening is the end of November.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Kuhtai, my favourite little resort from Innsbruck, has had a good dump !! and with the skiing from 2000 to 3000 meters the snow should be staying around perhaps Very Happy

http://www.schneegarantie.at/index.php?id=79&L=1
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Looks like the cold weather is coming back in approx. one weeks time.

http://www.wetter.at/wetter/sport-freizeit/berg-wetter/oesterreich/tirol/arlberg-galzig

http://www.wetter.at/wetter/sport-freizeit/ski-wetter/oesterreich/salzburg/schmittenhoehe/
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Cooling down again, more snow forecast early next week in Obertauern. It is as we all know very childish, but it does make me smile! Smile
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
rayscoops, I know off subject but noticed you are located in Swansea and have as a favourite resort Kuhtai nr Innsbruck. We live in Pembrokeshire and just wondered how you find best to get to Innsbruck from SW Wales. Flights from Cardiff and Bristol seem to only go to france, driving to Stansted is ok but if driving that far might almost as well drive all the way?
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
pembsflyer, Bristol, Easyjet, on a Friday (typical flight Fri 05 Feb 07:00 arrive 10:05, dep. Sun 07 Feb 11:00 arrive 12:05).
Kuhtai is not really a favourite resort of mine, but it is the biggest resort around the area (40km of piste with loads of safe between piste skiing and it has just been linked by bus to another resort on the same ski pass Very Happy ) and the village is at 2000m with skiing up to 3000m, there are no druken Brits and it does not feel like you are in Surrey with snow. As a family type resort it is perect, as an easy place to get at 20 odd km from the airport it is perfect for a weekend getaway with Easyjet Very Happy
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
twoodwar wrote:
Cooling down again, more snow forecast early next week in Obertauern. It is as we all know very childish, but it does make me smile! Smile

That's fine by me! Bit the bullet yesterday and bought a Salzburg Super Ski Pass for the season (starts 7/11) so bring on the white stuff as I'm ready and raring to go..... wink
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Hopefully snow will come closer to bottom of valleys too. Top of mountains are perfectly fine already Smile Yesterday I had really beautiful day on Moelltal glacier, which with 4 days of Soelden makes already my fifth day of skiing in less then 10 days Smile But now all sorts of openings are startings, so it's going to get a bit crowded on glaciers. So lets bring some snow down to non-glacier resorts too! Laughing
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
OK, well I'm not in Austria Sad , but I can see white on the webcams again! Looks like it might hover around zero for a few days as well.

D
snow report
Kitzsteinhorn has a white start opening this weekend and saw 50cm+ fresh snow recently ...
Quote:

7.11.-8.11.2009
This special weekend heralds in the new season with fun on the slopes and fresh powder snow: the traditional "White Start", kicking off a totally white season. Whoever joins us can test skis from companies such as Atomic and Blizzard and gather tips from professionals to improve their skiing even more - all free of charge of course. The glacier awaits you!

http://en.kitzsteinhorn.at/news/events/index.htm?we_objectID=364
snow conditions
Dustings above about 1000m in the valleys around Radstadt... looks like it is settling in up on Flachau....
I knew the wetter.at site would be wrong (as usual)... a week with no cloud cover and v cold nights... then on come the clouds and the 'rain'... however it was rainy in the valley Sad
I WANT MORE!
snow conditions
Snowing and staying on my local mountain - the Hochries - a mehr 1600m. Snow level is currently around 1000m and due to drop further this week. There was still quite a local of snow left from the last dump so It is building up. Unfortunately it is a ski touring mountain with no pistes just Ski routes from the top! But I can sit and look at it from my front windows (too cold to sit on the balcony and look at it for too long now)

There has been a distinct east - west divide in the weather over Europe which can be seen on the real-time satellite pictures. France and western Switzerland are being influenced by westerly air flows today but have been more influenced by southerly ones over the past fortnight, so the ground temperatures have not been so low. The result was warmer moister air. In the eastern Alps there has been a more continental influence with generally colder air and ground temperatures so that when the warmer moister air meets it, it has dumped on to the cold surfaces - hence its sticking around for longer!

I've posted these links before but they are fun to watch if you haven't used them before:

http://www.sat24.com/frame.php?html=homepage

http://www.sat24.com/alps

http://www.meteox.com/h.aspx?r=&jaar=-3&soort=loop1uur

I also find the Met Office pressure distribution chart summaries interesting to observe. They are done at 12-hour intervals for up to 4 days in advance.
ski holidays
Dumpy-dumpy-do-dah!!

That is my new snow song (it is a bit like a rain dance but much harder to perfect)!

Proper chunky snow!! Garden is clear waiting for it!! Bought my passes this morning!!! I'm off out at the weekend then!!!! Big question is where to go!!!!
Anyone fancy a short trip??
snow report
flangesax, OK now I am properly jealous. Where you planning on going and where is open this weekend nearby?
snow report
Have a look at our cam- you can see the snow really clearly:-

http://austriasnow.camstreams.com/

lovely big flakes!!
latest report
flangesax, djfletcher, yep, this is it!! Very Happy Its covered our garden very quickly Shocked Thank goodness I remembered to change my tyres!
snow report
flangesax, maybe out the following weekend, provided the snow hangs around, which i'm sure it will.
snow conditions
Woo Hoo. Big Fat Snow!

www.alpendorf.com/skipanorama-webcam-alpendorf
ski holidays
flangesax, djfletcher, Where are you thinking of going? I'm looking at skiing this weekend as next weekend has been kiboshed by the need to be at an AGM being organised by my flying club!

I'm also looking at picking up my season ticket but I'm still undecided which one to buy - Salzburger or Tirol! Decisions, decisions decisions - what it is to be spoilt for choice eh!

http://www.hintertuxergletscher.at/de/skigebiet/38/Live+Cam+3+Sommerbergalm.html - any idea what Kaprun is looking like?

This is one of the cameras at Soll (awfully low don't you know! Laughing )

http://www.snow-forecast.com/resorts/Soll/webcams/latest

Forecasts I've looked at have temperatures going down again by the weekend with Föhn conditions on the north side the middle of next week
ski holidays
I will probebly head to Reiteralm - they have been race training there for the last 3 weeks or so and are now opening it up to the public... so should be a good base.
If the weather goes all sunny then I might just head up to Dachstein and play in the park with my board...
Don't really care - but will stay pretty local!
snow report
I went to reiteralm today.....
FANTASTIC!!!

Excellent conditions from the top of the main gondola.
There was enough piste open plus untracked pow (although a little thin) to have some great fun.
I am totally knackered now though... leg burn + panting.... still - got a bit of time to get a little fitter!

Schladming was open too today but only min-station up from Planai and the 4 man chair at the top. So not too much piste.

I do need to stress again quite how awsome the piste conditions are up there!!
ski holidays
PROOF!! A piccy from the email do-dah thang....
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
I honestly am much more attractive than that!
snow report
flangesax wrote:
I honestly am much more attractive than that!
He honestly isn't, the camera never lies Very Happy
snow report
come on waynos, you know you would!
ski holidays
flangesax, Laughing excellent!
ski holidays
Ennstal was a good place to go this weekend Smile.

Pics from yesterday at Hauser Kaibling.

Today it was starting to snow (not hard but continuously light snow) at around 1 p.m. Rain/snow level was about 1100m.
ski holidays
RandyAlp, which runs were open at Haus? Is ti from the top down to the pod and the funny chair, chair, chair , gondola lift?
snow report
flangesax wrote:
RandyAlp, which runs were open at Haus? Is ti from the top down to the pod and the funny chair, chair, chair , gondola lift?

The only lift open (besides the gondola to the mid station) was the Quattralpina chair. The photos are both from the area of the top station of this lift. The open pistes were the "red" runs skier's right of the Quattralpina. The "blue" run skier's left of the Quattralpina was officially closed but a great pleasure to ski (10-15 cm new snow on top of a man made snow base). According to today's webcams there seems to be about 5-10 cm (or possible more?) new snow. So maybe there will be some additional pistes opened up during the next days.
latest report
RandyAlp, nice pictures! Good to see. Just got two new snow tyres delivered. Winter's not far off. snowHead
snow report
Weather and snow report from the Gnadenalm in Obertauern.

Webcam from Obertauern Gnadenalm and the
wetterReport from Obertauern
snow report
Not quite Austria, but close. Spitzingsee, Bavarian pre-alps. Photo was taken at 1600m yesterday. Seems to be lacking somewhite stuff. Ski lift just visible (left, centre part of photo)

snow conditions
rayscoops wrote:
Kuhtai, my favourite little resort from Innsbruck, has had a good dump !! and with the skiing from 2000 to 3000 meters the snow should be staying around perhaps Very Happy

http://www.schneegarantie.at/index.php?id=79&L=1

still looking good even with the warm temperature Very Happy
ski holidays
stevev, don't forget we are getting a very strong Föhn winds this week - temperatures were way up yesterday in my village! All set to go back down to normal around the middle of next week.

What we need is a good strong blocking High pressure system over Scandinavia and a nice active wet low pressure cell over the Adriatic - the resulting mixture of ice cold northerlies banging into wet southerlies always leads to the best dumps of the white stuff in the eastern Alps. Currently it is the reverse picture and the snow is rapidly disappearing just about everywhere along the Alpine chain apart from the very highest levels. Remember the basic tenet - winds always blow from High to Low!

Here's praying for a return to "normal" November temperatures. I've only got 3 weeks to go to my first trip!

wink
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy