Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Austrian Snow report Winter 2009/2010

Poster: A snowHead
Just got back from Saalbach/Hinterglemm last night. Saalbach the snow was getting thin and icy, but up towards Hinterglemm and Lengau it was better, especially higher up. When we left there yesterday they'd had a good dump overnight so I'd expect conditions to be better this week.
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Another amazing powder day in Schladming. Awoke to heavy snowfall, up Planai gondola at 8:30. A day of skiing knee deep powder around Planai and Hauser. In places the fresh snow was probably 50cm! Was very few other skiers around so was finding stacks of fresh lines all day, lots of great lines through the trees. The snow eased up late morning but stayed cloudy. A few showers came through late on. The temps are set to go up over next few days with very warm temps by the weekend. Hopefully will still be some powder for tomorrow.

Friend aged 9.

Another friend, aged 7.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
wife aged???
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
flangesax, Very Happy

Short video of the amazing powder in the trees at Haus from yesterday.

http://youtube.com/v/0fR0sjIP1lQ

A bluebird day, good freeze overnight Very Happy

Avi risk up to 4, reporting 120cm fresh snow in some parts of northern alps with styria.
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
looks sweet. hoping its gets slightly colder that predicted for next week. but there seems to be enough snow around to have a decent week in the sun in saalbach
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Kuhtai slopes for me by mid day on Friday for me so hopefully I should find the pistes in tip top condition, hoping for a bit of spring style sliding rather than frozen pistes so the high freeze line sounds just right for it Very Happy
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
After 2 days of deep winter, heavy snow, wind and cold today started and finished with clear blue skies and spring temps. Was well above freezing on most the mountain. Skied at Haus today, stayed quite high, though the summit chair was closed due to high avalanche risk. Skied many tree runs, which out of the sun was holding the powder quite well. Anywhere facing the sun the dry fluffy powder of yesterday was transforming to wet cement. Looks like spring is set for the next week, longer range forecast show return of cold and snow.

snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
im guessing all the forcasted showers in saalback over the next week is all at resort level. so higher up will be snow showers.

waynos, thats the type of skiing were after looks epic
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Skiied Reiteralm today, above 1700m ish pistes were rock hard, good spring conditions, the lower slopes taking a pounding though by 11ish. Resort is very quiet. If anyone is coming out this way, do yourselves a favour and get up there early, the temps are going up to double figures at the week-end, although Monday and Tuesday snow is forecast, its still a slush fest by early afternoon. Racing over in Saalbach sat and sun so I will post back then. When I got in my car to drive home the temp gauge was reading14 degrees at 11.30am Shocked Sad
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
waynos, Hyup... you managed to find 2 piccies where I wasn't hugging a tree!... good find!

Was out to day at Schaldming... trying to get this skiline prize thang... anyhow.. .50km skied... 12km vert on lifts....
This mornig it was fantatic spring condition. Top pistes are in great shape. Hard work below about 1400m, thick and porridgy but still nice and skiable!
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
well with the forecast changing every day for saalbach im looking forward to a good week out there be it hot sun or snow or what.
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Kuhtai, blue sky day yesterday, south facing nice and choppy, north facing crisp and grippy. Not one queue all day yesterday. Same today Very Happy
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Blue sky day and very warm
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
waynos wrote:
, longer range forecast show return of cold and snow.

I hope your right, out in Stuben on 10th April and starting to count the days....
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Skiied Saalbach(Schönleiten) today, and it was not good.At 11am +9 degrees Shocked Pistes were all shin deep in slush by noon. Valley run is green.If anyone is here stick to the northern side, Zwölferkogl, or Schattberg, they are in better shape.The best snow in the region though IMHO is still Zauchensee/Wagrain/Flachau.
snow report
DAB, Thank you for that - that's more or less exactly where I am based for the next week! Toofy Grin Toofy Grin Toofy Grin

It is supposed to cool down again by Tuesday I've been told. I must admit to thinking I#d over packed as I drove past Bischofshofen and the car thermometer was showing 21°C at 3 o'clock this afternoon Shocked Shocked

Mind you I could just take the mornings for skiing and the afternoons simply use the saunas and swimming pool etc in the hotel spa area! Followed by a huge afternoon tea of coffee/tea, cakes and beer! Cool
snow report
Samerberg Sue, I glanced up at the slopes of St,Johann as I drove by today, pretty brown Sad It was SO hot up there today, LB had a GS race in Saalbach, it was a fiasco,2nd run at 14.00!!I swear he skiied through puddles! I like your plans for the afternoon!!!May join you as I am back here on Thursday, just have to check with LBs trainer if they need me!
latest report
Samerberg Sue, God I hope things improve we are booked in for Galtur/Ischgl 10/4 - usually do Zermatt in April but this year we thought we would have a change - beer is cheaper in Austria - that did come in to the equation Toofy Grin
ski holidays
snowbandit, http://www.bergfex.at/ischgl/wetter/

You will be fine wink
latest report
DAB, - Thanks for that - I will still carry on praying to the snow god - oh lead me not in to temptation - just give me powder - POWDER!!!!!! Toofy Grin
snow report
very hot today in Kuhtai, but temps have dropped enough for a bit of very light snow. Just finished my first night boarding, most interesting !! All pistes holding up quite well
latest report
DAB, it was raining or trying to this afternoon. I've been skiing here for over 20 years on and off and I have never had that happen, even at the end of the season. Crazy weather - I skied with the pit slits open all morning and then gave up shortly after 2.00pm as it was just no fun.

The slopes you can see from the B311 are the town slopes and they are now closed for the season. The base on the Alpendorf slopes is holding up surprisingly well, but it is very heavy by 11:00am. I don't think it even froze last night as it was soft when I did a couple of warm-up runs at 9:00. We should see temperatures more down to normal later tomorrow or Tuesday. The sooner the better as far as I'm concerned.

Now I'm just checking my email etc before sloping off to the sauna and steam bath to get clean for dinner this evening.

I'm in the Berghof if you want to leave a message. I'll PM you with the details.

Sue
ski holidays
It is certainly very springy! Zauchensee'snorth facing side (blue 9 and the like) is holding well. Very heavy though. I recon it will hold out nicely until the official closing date in mid april.
It certainly wears you out though...!!
latest report
just to show it is not all doom and gloom, this was yesterday morning in Kuhtai

snow report
Skied lech today from 8 45 till last lift at 5 pm. Various conditions all over the mountain but predominentally wet snow apart from above about 2000m
covered most of the area around lech today and though the snow was not the best is was still good enough to give a good days skiing. Covered the white ring ski route this afternoon and witnessed an avalanchce on my last run returning to the car. The slope on the mountain above car park 4 avalalanched and the noise was tremendous just like thunder. The slid stopped about 10 m short of the footpath above the car park. Pity I didn't have my video cam at the time.
snow report
Samerberg Sue wrote:
DAB, it was raining or trying to this afternoon. I've been skiing here for over 20 years on and off and I have never had that happen, even at the end of the season. Crazy weather

Yep had small rain shower when I was in altenmarkt this afternoon. You never had rian in 20 years! Wow I must follow you around. I've had rain in all sorts of places at all times of the season, rain in late march is not that strange, is it?

Conditions sure are warm such a contrast to earlier this week. Got to say I really enjoy skiing deep slush, particularly big slushy bumps. Best done in short sprints of high speed, agressive turns. Would much prefer cold and powder but can't have that every day I guess. May try Obertauern tomorrow as looks like more precipitation about. My trip comes to an end this wednesday, so looks like I'll be ending the season with more slush.
ski holidays
Does anyone know what the conditions are like at kitbuhel right now? seems it's been pretty warm but the temps are dropping towards the end of the week. Doesn't look like they'll be any new snow for my Easter trip though Sad
ski holidays
Kitz has 90% of its lifts open.

But the snow is getting battered by the sun and rain.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
randomhals wrote:
Does anyone know what the conditions are like at kitbuhel right now?

Skied the Hohe Salve range (Skiwelt: Scheffau-Brixen-Hopfgarten-Söll) yesterday. Snow was pretty soft and heavy but skiable and it was possible to ski back down to Scheffau. It was very misty for most of the day but maybe that wasn't such a bad thing, for at least it wasn't as warm as it was when the sun came out late afternoon. Here's a picture I took on the last run down to Scheffau in the afternoon.

Today it is very sunny and warm.
snow conditions
My last update for the season, though I may pop back out in a couple of weeks for a few days. What a day! Headed up the Dachstein cable car with a couple of ski mountaineering friends with the aim of getting to a hut on the grosser gosau glacier which is accessed by a ver ferrata (pre-laid steel cables that you hook into) climb over a 80m - ish shoulder. Started with a small skin to get to the shoulder. Looked darn shear to me, not that I looked up too much, found best to take one step at a time. Clipped into the cable and started ascending. Was somewhat nervous but felt pretty safe as was clipped on. Got to the top then the decent to the glacier started, the steel cable was buried in the snow, my friend got out a rope and I abseiled down, blimey it was shear in places and the terrain simply dropped a long way to the glacier via a cliff. We found a nice place for lunch and decided time was not favoring our original plan so headed back up and over what we just did and then skinned back up across the halstatter glacier to the dachstein cable car. Weather was clear and sunny, temp in the south-ish faces was a few dgrees positive, stayed freezing on the north faces.

Really is some incredible terrain up on the Dachstein, I really need to make more of it, something for next season. The following link details some of the tours
http://www.derdachstein.at/dachstein/en/winter/Ski_Tours.html

I don't like ladders, wtf i'm here?

Another busy day.

Met some bird, didn't say much.
snow report
waynos, Great shot's - nice to see the "Pocket Rockets" still in service.
latest report
snowbandit, added some fritchi freeride+ this season to the pockets and they've just had there first service for last year. still a great ski at 8 years old.
snow report
waynos, Fantastic photos!
ski holidays
After a week or so of high temps it looks likes we will still end the season on a high!
I don't think I saw one person on the liste without a rather racoony tint to their faces last week - it was incredibly hot and sunny... but then last Thrusday night it snowed...

This was certainly 'the wrong type of poweder' from about 1200m to 1600m but then was quite light and fluffy (up to 20cm ish) above.
Then the sun decided to come out.... and another few days of factor 7000.

A couple of days ago it all changed again... there were some very heavy winds bringing the cold front in. Cold enough for me to realise quite how hard I was clinging on to the gondola whilst taking the Mozart lift in Wagrain.... seeing trees blowing at such an angle that they are only about 2m off the cable is a tad worrying!

So then this brough the snow in again over night and most the next day.
Areas above about 1400 are looking very good throughout Amade having been hit with this fresh stuff. Even the lower wet snow has packed down very well into the pistes.

So after some very heavy going it looks like no areas will close early and the season should end on a high!
snow conditions
Looks like heavy snow has set in again this pm based on webcams and an email from a pal out in ski amade area.
http://www.hauser-kaibling.at/de/wetter-schnee/webcams
snow conditions
Silly snow waynos!!

Went for a meal at Romakeller in Altenmarkt - no snow.... went outside after th emeal and there was a good 4cm all over my car!
The valleys are all white again throughout the Amade area... POW DAY TOMORROW WOO-HOO!!
snow conditions
flangesax, enjoy it, i may pop down to the fridge in MK to get my weekend fix! Off to a smoke free pub now, the wonders of being back here.
snow conditions
Just got back from Obertauern...

I left Radstadt covered in about 4cm of snow.
Went up and had a fanatastic morning with great conditions both on and off piste... blue skies and powder NehNeh NehNeh

Got back home at about 1pm to find a very green valley again.... woudn't know that from Obertauern though!
ski holidays
flangesax, Am currently in Filzmoos. Skied Flachau today with typical spring like conditions. I am considering a trip up to the Dachstein Glacier-is this worth the effort? Is there merit in skiing this area? How does it compare to the other more accessible resorts? Any advice much appreciated!
latest report
clem156, depends a bit on whether you are contemplating some of the ski tours?

http://www.derdachstein.at/dachstein/en/winter/Ski_Tours.html

And if you were you might want to have a look at http://en.krippenstein.at/ too.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy