Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Austrian Snow report Winter 2009/2010

Poster: A snowHead
Flachau's snow-blowers
I made a promise to myself that €500 was enough on a pass for the season... but now maybe a cheeky little €30 may come into play for an early one! (Passes don't kick in until the end of Nov).

I recon Flachau are going for an earlier than planned opening too... they are blasting away on the blowers tonight from top to bottom.... no messing!

I took these from my patio door - sorry about the camerea shake, no tripod at hand!
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Flachau by night taken from Radstadt
Bit closer...
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Ischgl this evening.
http://www.ischgl.at/en-service-webcams-tyrol.htm
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
flangesax wrote:
Passes don't kick in until the end of Nov

Two years ago my season pass def worked in mid nov, i seem to remember then they made the date the pass start $earlier than initially advertised. Fingers crossed.
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Flangesax, looks great in Radstadt. I'm in Obertauern in Feb. Bit off subject, but I have a couple of Friends arriving in Radstadt by Train in Feb. Whats their best way of getting up the hill to Obertauern? Presume Taxi, but could be a bus.Appreciate your answer.

Cheers Smile
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Reiteralm announced today that they will have an early opening around the weekend October, 26 (Austrian national holiday). I guess, Schladming will follow suit. It is the same situation as two years ago. It was perfect skiing then. And much fewer people than at the overcrowded glacier resorts (it seems that Germans go only to the glaciers around October, November Smile).
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Just like two years ago, Turracher Hohe seems to be the first one to open this Saturday.
Schladming resorts may follow next week-end which is a three-day-holiday in Austria.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
the small area behind us is going to un-officially open on Friday and officially open on Saturday- so also the first in Austria!! It has 1 meter of snow now!!!

http://www.hochkoenig.at/Bilder_und_Videos/Bilder_erster_Schneefall.htm
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Even Lech and Zurs have 60cm .....

http://www.tiscover.at/at/guide/5,en/objectId,RGN7at,selectedEntry,home.html,folder,SNOWREPORT,selElem,1,parentId,RGN7at/snowrpt.html

and saw a few flakes of snow dropping here in Vienna while just over a week ago we still had summer temps.
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Schladming to open some lifts this weekend

http://translate.google.co.uk/translate?prev=hp&hl=en&js=y&u=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.planai.at%2Fwinter%2Findex_6638_DEU_HTML.php&sl=de&tl=en&history_state0=

Looks like season pass will be good from 7 nov.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Serfaus webcams here: http://en.serfaus-fiss-ladis.at/news/wetter/

The one at Masner looks well wickid wink snowHead snowHead
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Don't want to rain on anybody's parade but as is often the case with the weather at this time of year - temps drop for short periods and then it warms up again. It normally takes a few cold snaps before winter firmly sets in. (e.g. Rain is forecast for Schladming from next Wednesday and temps are back up to double figures)

http://www.wetter.at/wetter/oesterreich/steiermark/schladming/

and Obertauern

http://www.wetter.at/wetter/sport-freizeit/berg-wetter/oesterreich/salzburg/obertauern-gnadenalm

If you are comming over in the near future the glaciers (at over 2500m) are a much safer bet than sub 2500m ski resorts. Hintertux with ca 110cm snow base is the one to go for at the moment.
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
DB, i'd tend to agree. I spoke with my local chap in Bad Gastein this morning and they're predicting 15 degrees next week. Not good.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Looking out from my balcony I can see somebody has put turns in all the way down from the Galzig to the village..... mid Oct...!!
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Quote:

I made a promise to myself that €500 was enough on a pass for the season... but now maybe a cheeky little €30 may come into play for an early one! (Passes don't kick in until the end of Nov).

flangesax, what's the cheeky €30 you're referring to mate? I spotted that if you buy the Super Ski Card before the 4/12 you pay €510. From what I can see (on the website the passes run from 7.11.09 till 02.05.10)

http://www.salzburgsuperskicard.com/
latest report
Snowing fit to bust here at 800m on the north side! Settling on the green stuff but not on the roads. anything above 100m is well and truly covered but it will all disappear next week when the northerlies change to westerlies Crying or Very sad

At least it is looking good for the opening races next weekend at Sölden. Smile

Any one else going to be there? I'm definitely going to be there for the men's race on Sunday
ski holidays
Yes, of course this October snow does not hold on in lower regions. Nevertheless it is a reminder that winter is about to come this year again Smile. And of course, there is nothing wrong with a short October skiing tour somewhere in the Eastern Alps near Vienna Smile.
ski holidays
RandyAlp wrote:
And of course, there is nothing wrong with a short October skiing tour somewhere in the Eastern Alps near Vienna Smile.

And the slopes? Semmering-Hirschenkogel has 40-50cm fresh snow so far, all the snowguns are on full blast. They want to open as soon as possible. It is quite close to Vienna.Smile
ski holidays
Sleipnir, I think that the start date are pretty flexible.
The offical date on a super card form last year was 25/11.. 2007/08 was 10.11 This year was sposed to be around the 25th too... but it has rolled back a considerable amount!

What I meant was that even though I am a snowHead I am not prepared to fork out a day ski pass before my season pass kicks in!

Super passes are €510 - but when you are a local you can reap the massive benefits!
snow report
kerekip wrote:
RandyAlp wrote:
And of course, there is nothing wrong with a short October skiing tour somewhere in the Eastern Alps near Vienna Smile.

And the slopes? Semmering-Hirschenkogel has 40-50cm fresh snow so far, all the snowguns are on full blast. They want to open as soon as possible. It is quite close to Vienna.Smile

Actually I hoped that they would open the resort this weekend. However, according to their website the start will be on Friday, October, 23. Let's hope the Foehn will be only in the West (or even not at all Smile.

P.S.: Some years ago this little resort (1000-1300m) on the very eastern fringe of the Alps was the first Austrian non-glacier resort to open its slope (it was around October, 26, national holiday, too).
snow report
RandyAlp wrote:
Yes, of course this October snow does not hold on in lower regions. Nevertheless it is a reminder that winter is about to come this year again Smile. And of course, there is nothing wrong with a short October skiing tour somewhere in the Eastern Alps near Vienna Smile.

Unterberg are only showing 10cm but Schneeberg looks to have 40cm (on Bergfex.com) although it looks like this weekend is the time to get it.

http://www.wetter.at/wetter/sport-freizeit/berg-wetter/oesterreich/steiermark/hirschenkogel
snow conditions
twoodwar, if they are coming from Salzburg airport then get a taxi transfer - its around €41 pp return which works out less than the train/taxi, plus its quicker.
snow report
Flangesax, no they are into Munich, and Train to Radstadt. I assume its taxi for around 20 Euro pp ?

Cheers
ski holidays
Friends have already been touring in Austria near Innsbruck, the snow looks great.. probably some föhn coming next week though. But at least it was a sign of a coming winter.
latest report
Still snowing in Alpendorf and forecast to continue for next few days. Yipee! Cool

www.alpendorf.com/webcam-sankt-johann-alpendorf.html
ski holidays
Schladming's first day of the season

http://translate.google.co.uk/translate?u=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.planai.at%2Fwinter%2Findex_6656_DEU_HTML.php&sl=de&tl=en&hl=en&ie=UTF-8

Nice one, shame the forecast is set to warm up next week, but good to see the white stuff.
latest report
waynos, looks awesome. Keep the faith....I'm sure the white stuff is here to stay.
ski holidays
vman, not with Föhn coming in mid-week Vman! Evil or Very Mad Crying or Very sad We are forecast 16°C as of Wednesday but cold at night thank God!

At the higher levels it will stay but this weekend seems more of a publicity stunt than anything else - BUT more power to them!

I'm thinking of going over tomorrow to take part - why not as the weather is so shoite I can't go paragliding as planned, so at least I'm in the mountains! rolling eyes NehNeh
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Samerberg Sue, I can't deal with this negativity!! I thrive on enthusiasm. People must burn coal and take to the skies immediately and get this global dimming thing going on Very Happy
snow conditions
djfletcher, Early March seems a long way off before we join you, at this rate we may have to get a heli lift in! Very Happy
ski holidays
We got our first ski tour for this season. Mixed weather conditions with some light snow showers but even some minor sunny spells as well. Snow was somewhat wet but was perfectly skiable. It was awesome to do the first lines since June. Pretty stoked now.

(More photos: Ski touring opening in the Vienna region)
latest report
Here's a view of the bottom stations of the cable-cars in Fieberbrunn yesterday. Not really enough snow for skiing yet and no signs that they are thinking of opening the lifts (I couldn't tell whether the snow cannons had been running - don't think so).

snow report
RandyAlp Nice pics - like your website too, the "Deep Powder At The Tauplitz" post reminds of some deep days I had in and around schladming last season. Can't wait to get out again, maybe in a couple of weeks, fingers crossed.
ski holidays
waynos wrote:
RandyAlp Nice pics - like your website too, the "Deep Powder At The Tauplitz" post reminds of some deep days I had in and around schladming last season. Can't wait to get out again, maybe in a couple of weeks, fingers crossed.

Thanks for your kind feedback. Those days in Styria last February were really epic. It was dumping like crazy. I am hoping for a repetition of similar dumps since I have ordered some pretty interesting skis for these kind of dumps.
ski holidays
vman, I think those of us who live here permanently have a different view because we know that at a moments notice we can change our minds and take advantage of conditions! Sorry I "burst your bubble". Embarassed We's just spoilt out here! wink

Last night I got my skis out sorted out my gear, fully intending to ski Schladming this morning - this morning, one look at the live snow cam, I decided not to! Work tomorrow through to Wednesday in the office cuts the options but pays the bills! Then definitely Sölden next weekend for the World Cup opening weekend - whether to ski or just watch is just the silly decision to make!

Just hoping that these conditions are a sign of things to come this season as I am coughing up for the Kitz Super Ski season pass!

Very Happy
latest report
RandyAlp, nice pics, I skied this resort two years ago, renting skis in the shop which is in your last picture Smile

Planai, Hinterstoder, Hochkönig and Turracher Höhe opened this week-end. Unbelievable that Turrach as a non-glacier resort finished the previous season only five months ago!
snow report
Here's some footage(in German) of our local ski area on Saturday, poor visibility but lots of snow! - http://ondemand.orf.at/bheute/player.php?id=sbg&day=2009-10-17&offset=00:05:02
snow report
Link to nice photos from the opening in Schladming last Sunday:

http://translate.google.co.uk/translate?prev=hp&hl=en&js=y&u=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.alpinforum.com%2Fforum%2Fviewtopic.php%3Ff%3D46%26t%3D32922&sl=de&tl=en&history_state0=
snow report
My Friend just Mailed me from Soll.....its SNOWING Smile
snow conditions
I want to know how you lucky people live in or near the Alps and earn a living? Where did I go wrong stuck here with just 6 days a year to play in the snow? Puzzled
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy