Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Austrian Snow report Winter 2009/2010

Poster: A snowHead
Snowed all day yesterday in st johann in tirol, super conditions, cloud today but visibility looks good.

Last edited by Poster: A snowHead on Sun 7-02-10 20:23; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Not too much snow in Schladming yesterday so headed down the road to Zauchansee. Was a good 20-25cm fresh powder in the back bowls. Was wind compacted at the top but once down a little the powder was very nice. A tad further north is Dachstein West area, the other side of the Dachstein range, was reported to have had over 40cm of fresh in the vallleys. The snowfalls are so local.
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
look like another day of powder in mayrhofen today
had a few inches the last few hours
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Just back from 10 days in Austria, it was icy for the first few days but snowed on Tuesday, Thursday, Friday and Saturday to make for some fabulous powder conditions, skied mainly in Tirol region in the resorts of St Johann in Tirol, Fieberbrunn, the Ski Welt and Kitzbuhel, and on Saturday skied Kleinwalsertal in the Allgau region of Bavaria, with even more powder snow. It was fairly cold all week and looks like it will stay cold so anyone going out soon should have great conditions.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Peter Ross,

Yep, we were in Kitzbuhel from Thursday and it was fabulous powder at the side of the pistes. Not so nice when you faceplant and got to dig yourself out, or when you take the wrong route as one of the group found out! Toofy Grin

We "opened" a couple of piste on Saturday morning as well on our way to the Skiwelt Cool

Bar some lower "home" runs, the conditions are fantastic...
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
The run from Ellmau side down to Brixen im Thale from Zinsberg was a nasty icy narrow busy one on Wednesday, everywhere else was fine bar the Streif in Kitz!
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Any thoughts on the forecast for next week....looks warmer?
Out in Saalbach 12th Feb I know too far out but would like a good lead into our trip.....
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
awesome conditions today in the Dienten / Maria Alm area... powder everywhere and as usual very light crowds so had a great day out.. esp as from lunch the snowy conditions turned to bright blue sky. forecasts seem to indicate more snow on the way this week so looking good. bad gastein (where i've been skiing rest of the week) has finally topped up in the last few days and is also now pretty good. north side of stubnerkogel off piste runs yesterday were very good.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
RetroBod, freezing level only up to about 1000m and lots of snow so things should be good for you on the 12th
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Speedster wrote:
bad gastein (where i've been skiing rest of the week) has finally topped up in the last few days and is also now pretty good. north side of stubnerkogel off piste runs yesterday were very good.

Sounds good!! Hope it keeps going, off out there soon!

Kersh
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Some pics from Kitzbuheler Alpen and Kleinwalsertal last week

Hahnenkamm start gate

Mausefalle jump

Hohe Salve, Skiwelt

Fierberbrunn freeride

Powder day Riezlern, Kleinwalsertal (Austrian/German border) just north of Lech and Warth

Roof clearing last Saturday Kleinwalsertal, so much snow!
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Some serious snowfall at Zauchansee and Schladming today. As they say in BC "puking". Probably 20-30cm fresh snow on the hills. Some road chaos around Schladming, an accident on the main road from Schladming to Ramsau which forced me to take a minor back road so put the chains on, first time ever with winter tyres.Just as well as the back road was pretty snowed up and has one awkawed uphill corner. Temps were just below freezing, so quite heavy snow lower down, no rain though. Supposed to clear up overnight and a warmish day tomorrow, hopefully not too warm as I can't get skiing til the afternoon Crying or Very sad More snow forecast for the weekend, may get a decent base for some off piste around schaldming at last. Though Zauchansee is well estanlished and is skiing fine.
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Warmed up a bit yesterday after the big snowfalls from the day before. Didn't get skiing til mid afternoon, skied at zauchansee and did a few offpiste lines. The untracked was a little heavy from the warming up but still very nice. Today was like spring, temps well over freezing, slight fohn wind (warm southerly). Nice conditions, still some wet-ish powder around. Due to snow tonight and all day tomorrow with cooler temps. The warming is probably not a bad thing as it will settle the last snowfalls quicker.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Anyone else reporting from Austria? Snowing hard here in Schladming this morning, started between me, with some help, finishing a crate of schladminger at around 12:30am and 3am when I needed to release a buld up of said schladminger (the local brew). At least 10cms in town so that nornally equates to at least double of the hills.
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
pretty big snowfall in bad gastein overnight and now continuing through the day. yesterday we had temps of like 4/5 degrees which usually indicates snow on the way and it has delivered. had to scrape about 15 cm off the car earlier and more to come tonight apparently. going to go and try out my favourite tree runs on the graukogel now.. expecting it to be good Very Happy
latest report
Dumping like mad here (near the Wilder Kaiser) and also in St Johann im Pongau, just peeked at the web cams. Yesterday was Föhnig with the wind backing round to ESE later on and couple that with a very active depression in the Adriatic over the Venice/Trieste areas, it usually means a big dump. Unfortunately for the snow shovellers it is a bit wet and heavy due to the warmer temperatures. It will also put the avalanche warning level up to a clear 3 and prbably up to 4 in some places. Temperatures are due to drop down below zero again next week.

waynos, a thread giving ostensibly the weather forecast for the whole of Austria is a wee bit of a misnomer as not only does the weather vary considerably over the whole country, it can also be very different from one valley to the next! Yesterday lunch time I was skiing in clear sunny conditions in Wagrain but could see that the Dachstein area was having a very grey day, as was the Hochkönig area in the other direction!

Sue wink
latest report
A good amount of fresh snow today at Planai, but very wet Crying or Very sad Higher up was still fun but lower down was more like wet concrete. The piste were entertaining as they were turned into wet mogul fields. The mountains huts were rammed, I guess most people here were drinking rather than skiing. The snow pack looks pretty bad off piste in the tree line where until last week there was very little packed snow. A few times on steeper pitches the snow cut away. On closer inspection there's a 40-50cm quite well bonded layer on heavy snow from the last 4-5 days sat on 10cm of rotten ice crystals. Kept snowing most the day, snowing now.

Avalanches reported here in Obertauern, Rendl

http://www.kleinezeitung.at/nachrichten/chronik/2286777/zahlreiche-lawinenabgaenge-oesterreich.story
snow report
Samerberg Sue
waynos,
maybe we should push this one?

http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?p=1412865&highlight=amade+austria#1412865
latest report
flangesax, Well we wouldn't want to flood our favourite areas with a tidal wave of the great unwashed exiting from France would we? Toofy Grin Toofy Grin Toofy Grin

Think of the linguistic problems they all might have! Laughing They might just be assumed to be too arrogant to enjoy the area rolling eyes

Servus!

wink
snow conditions
Just back from Innsbruck, and at the resort Kuhtai it started snowing on Friday at 5pm and was still snowing in Innsbruck at lunch time today (Sunday) when I left. Saturday was boot deep powder on the piste and knee deep powder off the sides and even waist deep in some places. Light as flat as a pancake but boy was it good fun. Managed to get first tracks on two pistes from two separate lifts from resort level, then want back to the first lift to find that only two skiers had been down that piste since my 'first' run, so almost fresh tracks again Very Happy

Any one heading out to the Tirol will have a great time Very Happy

edit - it was that fine soft power that floats up in the air when you bang a hard turn in Very Happy
latest report
Looks like southern Austria (Carinthia) got hit with heavy snow last night, some resorts have already reported up to 60cm fresh. Much of Austria has seen ample snowfall in the last 24 hrs.

http://www.bergfex.com/oesterreich/schneewerte/?sort=BergNeuschnee24,DESC
latest report
Obertauern here we come - roads permitting!
snow conditions
griffterski, Obertauern seems to have good snow from November to May, it has to be one of the most snow sure resorts I know, it's a lovely ski area, you'll love it. The roads to it are usually well cleared, as it's motorway nearly all the way. Have fun Smile
snow report
griffterski,

Just in case you don't already know, the road is high and has steeper sections. The road is well cleared although I've struggled with traction even with winter tyres.
ski holidays
Peter Ross, awesome photo of the start of the Hahnenkamm! I'll never forget Franz Klammer flying down that...

Would love to go to Kitzbuhel just to ski down it (albeit somewhat slower!)
latest report
Good news bad news. Good news = lots of precipitation predicted, bad news = it's warming up and many of the low resorts are expected to see rain at lower levels.

http://www.wetter.at/wetter/sport-freizeit/ski-wetter/oesterreich/tirol/soell-skiwelt

http://www.wetter.at/wetter/sport-freizeit/ski-wetter/oesterreich/salzburg/saalbach-hinterglemm-leogang

http://www.wetter.at/wetter/sport-freizeit/ski-wetter/oesterreich/salzburg/flachau
snow conditions
Kappl/Ischgl was great at the beginning of last week, very cold, but later in the week it started to warm up and the snow was getting a bit wet and heavy.

Last week we got up on the Tuesday and the car thermometer was reading -14 in the village at 8.30. It didnt rise above -4 that day

The day after it was reading -3 in the morning and was up to 8 degrees by the afternoon.

When we left on Friday, there was some serious melting going on especially down low.
ski holidays
Sollophonic,
It was cold again on Saturday and snowed a bit friday night saturday morning. The runs back down to Ischgl were still rock solid saturday afternoon. Could do with more snow though the depths were not great and a decent thaw will cause serious damage .
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
DB, a tad strange as i normally use the hauser kaibling wetter forecast

http://www.wetter.at/wetter/sport-freizeit/ski-wetter/oesterreich/steiermark/hauser-kaibling

which is only 15-20km down the road from flachau and is showing much cooler temps. Is the flachau forecast for the hill or town?

Forecast have been changing loads each day recently so hopefully things will be cold enough to avoid the dreaded "r" word.

looking further out (highly risky I know) but shows a big drop in temps and snow

http://www.netweather.tv/index.cgi?action=ski;page=9;type=winter;country=Austria;resort=Haus+in+Ennstal;sess=#forecast

Anyhow the warm temps are good for the avi situation should help settle the snowpack.
snow conditions
waynos, I'm with you on this - too varied to call! We have had a really strong Föhn storm blasting through since yesterday but when that breaks it will go back down again.

The weather systems right now are battling it out and the north side of the Austrian/German Alps is the battleground! Very cold and snowy to the north and warm and sunny to the south, but could change at the drop of a hat (or Föhn!)

I'm booked into St Johann-Alpendorf* for the 20th -27th March and am not expecting to have any problems, as I have skied this area much later (endo f April) and had loads of lovely fresh untracked powder. Basically I'll wait and see, but not panicking at all.

4*S hotel at the foot of the main gondola for 458 Euros half board, including 6-day ski pass! bit of a bargin you could say!!!! wink Laughing Laughing
snow report
I'm really confused - I have 6 sites saved in favourites and not one of them agrees on anything other than something is going to fall out of the sky on the 27th Madeye-Smiley The forecasts for Soll seem to range from snow, staying below freezing, to rain or sunny and +4, all at the same altitude on the mountain (don't care about the base!). Beginning to think the best forecast will be when I draw the curtains back on the 28th and look outside rolling eyes
snow report
sharon1953, forecast have been all over the lace for a few days now. Looks like something good for fri / sat. Looking further ahead (risky) seems to be getting colder again next week. See these wiggles for schladming area

http://www.meteociel.fr/cartes_obs/gens_display.php?ext=1&lat=47.5&lon=13.8

Best thing to do is cross everything
latest report
waynos, Well we off to Soll on 27th, lowest resort we have ever been to, so seeing the +temperatures is filling me with fear!! Sad
snow conditions
Hi to everyone here

Going to Kirchdorf on the 13 March, what are the chance of skiing do you think?

It has been quite warm for the past week or so and the forecast seems to be for temperatures to be stay above 0C much of the time, some days with rain. Some sites show a snow base depth of 125cms, like J2, but some are showing as little as 50cms top and 20 bottom

I have been told not to worry as there are high resorts a short bus ride away, but they all seem to be showing thawing temperatures
ski holidays
to sharon 1953 and fallguy

I am going to soll saturday and from experience i have no worries!! I went to schladming 9th jan and 6th feb ...plenty of snow and had a great time on both occassions. last season was in austria 4 times and it got a lot warmer than forecast for the coming days for instance in kitzbuhel temps were plus ten....no probs skiing to resort ....last april in schladming after snow at the start by mid week temps were 23 degrees at mid station but still fine to ski to resort ....in the past have skiied kitzbuhel with lot lower snow depths than now 5/45 and still pretty good......so in essence try not to worry i love skiing and get out a lot and admit to avidly watching the forecasts
snow conditions
seany1, Thanks, might bump into you then! The depth doesn't really concern me too much as I know its pasture land and doesn't need to be deep to be skiable. But the couple who are skiing with us are not so good on heavy snow, and one of them prefers blues to reds, which are often the lower runs - I guess I'm worrying for them really as they had their eye on Mayrhofen initially for this season, and much earlier, but agreed to Soll to be with us, so guilt is setting in! I don't think Mayrhofen is having it much better though, but to add to my guilt, we use Snowbikes (due to knee injuries) and they perform at their best on spring snow!
ski holidays
I remember 2 years ago in schladming it hit +20, but was still skiable and a week later it was cold and snowing again. Forecast still saying colder and snow for weekend then warm again then cold again, so changable. Today was nice and warm, so went for a ski tour a few miles up a quiet valley away from schladming. Around a 5 hour tour, mostly upwards, didn't see another person other than my ski buddies. The ski down was interesting as it had warmed up and the snow was wet! Mainly stuck to the forest track we skinned up but jumped off a few times and conditions were hard going. The lower part of the ski out required some free heeling to ski tour down, as the snow was pretty wet.
ski holidays
many thanks for your replies but its been +3 or 4C during the day all last week and although it snowed on the 20th it has also rained which is a killer for snow.

It is going to be warm all week this week and the forecast is to stay above freezing during the day all next week and 0 or just below freezing at night. do not know much about snow making but I believe it is unsuitable weather to make snow as it needs to be well below freezing
snow report
fallguy, I would expect to be skiing till April in the areas around Kirchdorf, though the snow may well be soggy at times and valley runs may start to break up. However, there is often new snow in March or April, though the forecast for the next week or so is rather for warm temperatures.
snow report
Lastest reports are predicting that winter is coming back, cooler temps and snow expected next week.
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy