Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Of no interest to skimottaret * ;-)

Poster: A snowHead
I've just spotted that BASI have put next season's courses up on the web site.

(* unless that ISTD beckons...)
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
FlyingStantoni, what are you thinking of doing?

Scott reckons he's done. But then said that Coach 3 might be interesting. And maybe have a go at Eurotest just for giggles. ISTD teach might be doable as well. Wink
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
rob@rar, The Coach 3 is a couple of weeks earlier than it was last season, may make some difference to the conditions.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
rjs, did anyone do the Coach 3 course last season?
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
rob@rar, they've only run one haven't they?

Does anyone know if the ski radius regs are being enforced this year? Can't see anything about it on the website. Was thinking of having a go at a couple of courses, but having to buy new skis too may just make the cost too much Crying or Very sad
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
beanie1, I've heard rumours that it's going to continue to be "a recommendation" for the forthcoming season, but not seen anything official. The worst thing about the new regs is that it's almost impossible to find a sensible ski which meets the radius regulations. I've tried the brands that I can get a decent discount on and nothing in their catalogue fits the bill.

Time for you to speak to the horse's mouth...?
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
rob@rar, I don't know of anyone who did it. I checked the website fairly often last season to see how many had signed up, particularly after the UKSS L4 course had been cancelled, I think it showed 6 places taken during the week before.

I had been in Tux the three previous years in May and found it too soft for race training, I had thought about just going on the course and not skiing but it seems a bit of a waste of money. Hopefully it will be down to a harder base for those on the L2 next weekend.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
rob@rar, I agree. I can understand the thinking behind it, but they just haven't looked at what's available in the market. The option seems to be GS or a more off piste type ski, neither of which are suitable.

Maybe I'll just turn up on my slalom skis then, although wouldn't want to start by rubbing the trainer up the wrong way. Confused However, saying that I know an awful lot of instructors who use slalom skis as their all round ski of choice, so it's hardly unusual.
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
beanie1 wrote:
The option seems to be GS or a more off piste type ski, neither of which are suitable.
Exactly. I have a pair of Elans which I'd like to use (recommended to me by a Trainer) which are almost BASI legal (17m rather than 18m), but I really wouldn't want to use a pair of GS skis or anything much fatter than 80mm. See what you can find out...
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
beanie1, What is wrong with a really short pair of retail 'GS' skis ? The Salomon 2V in a 164 might work.
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
rjs wrote:
beanie1, What is wrong with a really short pair of retail 'GS' skis ?

I'd rather use something else for bumps and variable snow.
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
rob@rar, That is what most of the people on the bumps course with skimottaret in Tignes seemed to be using, didn't see anyone damage a pair.
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
rjs wrote:
rob@rar, That is what most of the people on the bumps course with skimottaret in Tignes seemed to be using, didn't see anyone damage a pair.

My rather meagre bumps technique needs all the help it can get, so I prefer a softer ski in bumps and something slightly wider for variable snow. Even a retail GS ski doesn't score too well on on these points compared to the ski I'd be happy to use.
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
9X Oversize, or can people not get them cheap?
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Sideshow_Bob wrote:

Not cheap enough. That's the only ski I've found that might fit the bill for me, but I can't get a pair for a decent price.
snow conditions
rob@rar wrote:
Sideshow_Bob wrote:

Not cheap enough. That's the only ski I've found that might fit the bill for me, but I can't get a pair for a decent price.

Here: http://onebelowzero.com/proddetail.asp?prod=65083
ski holidays
Spyderman, it's the 2008 model I'd be after. It's very different from the 2007 model, eg waist size went up to 80mm from 67mm.
snow report
rob@rar wrote:
Spyderman, it's the 2008 model I'd be after. It's very different from the 2007 model, eg waist size went up to 80mm from 67mm.

I'm told that you want the 09/10 model rob@rar - I've been told by someone who would know that there are delam issues with the 08/09 skis. The new model has a tip "bumper guard".

I'm on a promise of a deal - I'll let you know if it comes off.
latest report
rob@rar wrote:

Telemark L1 (possibly November in Zermatt) and an ADC2 (outside chance of December, but probably March or May).

But I need to negotiate some unpaid leave first.
snow conditions
FlyingStantoni wrote:
rob@rar wrote:

Telemark L1 (possibly November in Zermatt) and an ADC2 (outside chance of December, but probably March or May).

But I need to negotiate some unpaid leave first.

I'm doing the ISIA Teach in November which is on the same dates as the Telemark L1 so we could share travel and accommodation costs if you want. I'm also thinking of doing ADC2 in March or May, most probably May.
snow report
rjs, yes that is what I was thinking of, unfortunately finances are tight at the moment, and I would really prefer to be using a ski I'm used to before doing a course. If I do a course in November I won't have had the opportunity to try out any new ski in advance (plus any ski I order on the BASI deal may not even arrive in time!).
ski holidays
rob@rar,

Don't know if these are of any use to you

http://www.sport-conrad.com/index.asp?disp=artikel&art_nr=70406047

http://www.achat-ski.com/produit/2820-rossignol-radical-r9x-world-cup-os-fixs
snow conditions
RPF, thanks, those are the skis, but I'm hoping to get them a bit cheaper than that. It's difficult to justify replacing a perfectly good set of skis with something very similar because of a rule change (which might not be enforced this year) unless the new skis are a real bargain Smile
snow report
rob@rar, those will be about £300 on the BASI offer won't they?
snow report
rob@rar wrote:
My rather meagre bumps technique needs all the help it can get, so I prefer a softer ski in bumps and something slightly wider for variable snow. Even a retail GS ski doesn't score too well on on these points compared to the ski I'd be happy to use.

Just my opinion so may be rubbish but I think that you can either ski in bumps or you can't (thats para-phrasing Phill Smith's much used comment - If you're at the standard you'll pass, if you're not, you won't). The skis you use "may" make it a little simpler, not to such an extent that it will affect the outcome of an ISIA tech bumps section.

It's a little like saying that this or that this or that set of skis will help you go faster round the posts. OK at the "very" top level it will knock off of a fraction of a second but at ISIA tech level the skis are not the main thing to focus on.

To ski bumps better just get into them and practice. OK if you have a set of skis that you feel will good on then use em, but look at yourself 1st and the skis 2nd.

I noticed that on my tech that some of the people who failed in the bumps "could" get down them (other couldn't). But that's not what's needed for this level. You need to be able to "ski" them (and show it) not just get "get down" em. Changing the skis would not have affected the result.
snow conditions
Wayne, (here's me sitting on the sidelines) I reckon you're right.

IMHO bumps technique has little to do with the skis you're on (210 DH boards excepted). BuUt then I'm old skool and think that "all mountain" means FIS slalom.
ski holidays
David Murdoch, that's my all mountain ski of choice currently, and I'm yet to find something I find unhappy skiing with them, I even teach beginners with them. 3 foot powder maybe, but they're fine in about a foot which is the deepest I've skiied them in, and all other variable conditions.

The BASI argument is that they're dangerous at high speed.
ski holidays
rob@rar wrote:
I'm doing the ISIA Teach in November which is on the same dates as the Telemark L1 so we could share travel and accommodation costs if you want. I'm also thinking of doing ADC2 in March or May, most probably May.

I'll let you know when I find out about the leave rob@rar.
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Quote:
It's a little like saying that this or that this or that set of skis will help you go faster round the posts. OK at the "very" top level it will knock off of a fraction of a second but at ISIA tech level the skis are not the main thing to focus on.

I'd have to disagree here, but it is only about the gates or in real steep/deep bumps, most other areas I'd agree with you. Even at a relatively low level (BASI 1-equivalent) the one place people will notice a major difference between different radius skis is in slalom courses. Some courses can be more-or-less pure carved on slalom-radius skis but GS or straighter all-mountain planks will have to be pivoted a fair bit, which requires different skiing techniques. Some of the guys at Hemel on a Monday have bought slalom skis and their skiing and performance through the gates is much improved. I also find my LPs or my stock GS skis much more difficult in zip-line bumps than my SL skis, so much so I could easily stay in the zip-line on a dual-bump course on my slalom ski sat VT this last EOSB but could only get about half-way down on my LPs.
latest report
wot he ^^ said, and even skis of a similar radius can behave completely differently in gates based on stiffness - my current 155 SL skis are way more secure and responsive than my previous pair despite being 2m longer radius. And a pair of SL skis in bumps are a completely different animal to my normal (off-piste) skis, largely due to the different edge grip and flex patterns.
snow report
Sideshow_Bob, GrahamN, Yeah you’re probably right about the posts Madeye-Smiley
But still best way for rob@rar, to get better in the bumps is to just get in there and do em. Would recomend a week's course with snoworks with Lee as the teacher but most important thing is to just get in them bumps and do em, over and over again until it's fun (aquired at isia level)
latest report
Wayne, What skis are you taking next week ?
snow report
Wayne wrote:
...but most important thing is to just get in them bumps and do em, over and over again until it's fun
Yeeesss.....except my best ever afternoon of bumps skiing was after having spent all that morning working on balance exercises (from Fastman's DVDs) - on simple blue pistes. IM(limited)E, THE best training for bumps is working on centring and balance position adjustments.
ski holidays
Wayne, you will get too tired hammering bumps all day , do drills on piste, rut lines and maybe 4-6 bump runs a day max

derek chandler of R21 is the best bumps teacher in the cosmos
snow report
I did a bumps week with Derek/R21 a few years ago and I'd agree with skimottaret. Derek was very good. Especially so considering the poor weather conditions that week.

I would recommend the rest of the R21 team and their race training programmes as well.
snow report
rjs, Blue ones Blush (Salomon Aero's - why ? coz I love em, there are the best skis ever made - IMHO wink ) As this ain't a tech or teach I think will be OK ? as can't see any criteria for coach 2
skimottaret, Nah, get in em, and whizz around. When I wuz a lad we never had pistes, rut lines n stuff, and that wuz when we wasn't down-t-pit
snow report
Wayne, it might be worth checking with Basi about ski criteria, becaue last year there was definitely a requirement for a GS ski with a minimum radius of 18m (?, I think but could have been 21m).
snow conditions
LaserStock, it was 18 i seem to remember which i thought odd as the tech course was meant to be 17M.. dont think it matter to much exactly we just got told to have "GS" skis on....

oh i forgot to add i have no particular interest in this subject, it just caught my eye Toofy Grin
ski holidays
skimottaret wrote:
oh i forgot to add i have no particular interest in this subject, it just caught my eye Toofy Grin

As if we believe that rolling eyes
snow report
skimottaret wrote:
derek chandler of R21 is the best bumps teacher in the cosmos

I raise you Claude Decagny, ex-French moguls champ and one of the best (non-racing) coaches I've ever worked with. He picked up issues with my bumps and general skiing others failed to spot and didn't take the all-too-easy way out of focusing on the weakest skiers in a group.

Last edited by Ski the Net with snowHeads on Sun 19-07-09 13:19; edited 1 time in total
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy