Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

where to go next jan for good snow and lively resort?????

Poster: A snowHead
im organising a trip for me and 5 pals, were all military so bars and gud apres is a must, but looking for good slopes aswell, so any comments welcome, and im new to this first time organising a trip so advice is always welcome.

cheers
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
raf mark, welcome to Snowheads. snowHead Not being military, am not an authority on bars, but plenty of people here are. When are you planning to go and what kind of budget? And where have you skied before.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
pam w, I think the "When" is at least partly covered by the thread title Smile

raf mark, If you are looking for good night-life and good slopes, you won't go far wrong with most of the larger Austrian resorts. Some of the mega French resorts would also probably suit, but would tend to be more expensive.

But you don't say what level(s) of skiers (or boarders) you are, so it is difficult to know what would be "good slopes" for your group.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Saalbach or Mayrhofen?

Welcome to snowHeads! snowHead
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
alex_heney, quite right! Embarassed
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
cathy, Going off the username of the OP they may have decided to avoid Saalbach.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Quote:

Going off the username of the OP they may have decided to avoid Saalbach.

EHHHHHH??????? Am I missing something about Saalbach?
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
raf mark, St Anton
http://youtube.com/v/mYjO1Vvoa5E wink
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
St Anton.
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
well most of us have been to france avoriaz, but that was the last week of the season, to expensive we found, goin les contamines at xmas but that is organised expedition, also ive done austria, Oberstdorf-Kleinwalsertal, that place was good skiing and gud nite life. budget would have to say mid range, dont want to spend the earth on it, so we have alot of experience so runs of all kinds would be good
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
oh been looking at jan 10th ish as that seems to be cheapest!
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
raf mark wrote:
well most of us have been to france avoriaz, but that was the last week of the season, to expensive we found, goin les contamines at xmas but that is organised expedition, also ive done austria, Oberstdorf-Kleinwalsertal, that place was good skiing and gud nite life. budget would have to say mid range, dont want to spend the earth on it, so we have alot of experience so runs of all kinds would be good

I would second the suggestion above of Mayrhofen as ticking pretty well all the boxes for your stated requirements.
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
whats ppls take on italy?
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
mountainaddict wrote:
Quote:

Going off the username of the OP they may have decided to avoid Saalbach.

EHHHHHH??????? Am I missing something about Saalbach?

The RAF ski championships were held there this year.
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
raf mark wrote:

Some Italian resorts might suit, but nightlife isn't always as active as Austria.
snow report
so austria is the way to go, what sites are good to look at booking a holiday then? yhea dont fancy the champs, gona do it one year but im out of area in march so cant go due to work
snow conditions
DIY it. the transport links in Austria are easy and pretty cheap.

I would say Mayrhofen will def be the best place for you. There are plenty of groups of girls there too.
snow report
Hi Mark

For a group of guys looking for great nightlife and good snow, how about trying Pas de la Casa in Andorra??? I know lots of Snow Heads on here don't rave about skiing in the Pyrenees, but Pas is a decent height, plus is part of Grandvalira for just about 200km of slopes, and Grandvalira have invested loads in snow making just in case! There's a really good selection of slopes including 22 blacks.

When it comes to nightlife, Pas is really lively, plus cheap drinks in the bars and supermarkets. They regularly have lots of top DJs, including Hed Kandi once a month!

Have a look at www.grandvalira.com for the official low down on the resort, and for an independent take on the resort, try www.pasdelacasa-andorra.com

Jayne wink
ski holidays
raf mark, another vote for austria... am hoping to head there in Jan too. Been to Saalbach which has excellent apres-ski... we're less fussed about apres-ski as long as the skiing is good and varied and there are some options come night time.

Some suggestions on my site if that's of use? Ratings are of course pretty subjective!
ski holidays
raf mark - I have two apartments in Saalbach, if that's any use to you. It takes a lot of beating! See www.chaletatman.vpweb.co.uk
Let me know if you need any advice about flights and transfers, etc.
snow report
raf mark wrote:

Love Italy.

Several areas that fit your criteria, and most peoples budgets. Sauze D'oulx/Sestriere/Milky Way could be a good choice, and easily drivable.

John.
snow conditions
raf mark,

For Apres Austria is usually the livliest, though Val d Isere and the like are quite lively too but very expensive.

You might consider Solden - plenty of bars there, and probably cheaper than St Anton

When are you going and will you be looking to book through a TO ?
latest report
well that was the other part unsure who to book through, any comments? and thnk you so much to ppl who have added to this thread, all comments help loads
snow conditions
Another vote for Mayrhofen...
The skiing there is great!

A lot of the big tour operators go to Mayrhofen, so its probably worth looking at package prices.

If you want to DIY it, one place to look for accommodation is www.zillertal.at here. Fly into Munich or Salzburg, then take the train. Look www.oebb.at here for train times. From Munich you would have to change twice, in Munich East and in Jenbach. From Salzburg you would change once in Jenbach. Costs around €40-45 one way from both Munich and Salzburg. Its also possible to fly into Innsbruck which is closer, but flights are more difficult to find and often more expensive. From Innsbruck by train is around €10-15 one way, changing once in Jenbach.
ski holidays
where is the best place then to book if i want an all in one? internet or high street?
latest report
Get a big pile of brochures from the main ski tour operators, then sit down and confuse yourself rotten....

it's easier to do comparisons using the paper brochures than on the internet, I think.
ski holidays
yhea thats what am trying to do, nitemare
latest report
raf mark wrote:
yhea thats what am trying to do, nitemare
rafmark - don't know if Saalbach or Hinterglemm are still options. If they are, save yourself alot of time and trouble and just look at flight prices to Salzburg on Ryanair and Easyjet's websites. When you've decided on possible dates, log onto www.saalbach.com and use its very user-friendly search engine to search for accommodation (assuming my place isn't suitable for your size and make-up of group). It should be a comparative doddle, compared with the way you're doing it. (A couple of weeks ago I managed to book flights with Ryanair for self and wife for £16 return including taxes and charges and with free check-in! Although that special offer has probably expired, you may still be able to find good deals). Also consider www.lhu.at , www.pensionenzian.com and www.penhab.webeden.co.uk- friends of ours. Once you've found suitable accomm to match your favoured flights, it's just a question of arranging the transfer with www.transferservice.at - 99 euros each way for up to 8 people, and your personal limo and chauffeur - that's 40 euros each for 5 of you. The websites are in English if you click on the union jack. Let me know if any further advice is needed. Or of course you may have decided on other options - like Mayrhofen with First Choice![quote]
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
I really like the Espace Killy (Tignes & Val D'Isere) - in fact so much I bought a place in Tignes.
There is easily enough to do there for a week and it is snow sure.
ski holidays
raf mark, one reason that the resort/holiday comparison business is a nightmare is that there really isn't anywhere that has everything. Just decide what's NOT important to your group, or least important. One of the things I always struggled with is ease of getting to slopes. Are you willing to use buses? Want to walk right out the door and onto the piste? Happy to walk 10 minutes in ski boots? And you need to decide what kind of accommodation you want - bed and breakfast, hotel half board, self catering, catered chalet, etc. And if a catered chalet, do you want one which only has your group in it? Are you willing to share bedrooms?

And what's the budget for flights, accommodation, food and lift pass?

The answers to some of those questions will narrow down the choice, and therefore make the process easier. Otherwise you keep going round in circles (yes, I've been up at 2 am poring over brochures in my time wink ) We now have our own apartment so the choice is easy. And if anyone decides they want to be within walking distance of several lively bars, tough. Evil or Very Mad
ski holidays
i know i have only given a short bit of info on what we want but good skiing is a must and a few gud apres ski bars would be good, use of buses is not a problem and walking in boots is not a problem. a chalet would be nice for just us, but if we were to share with some other people that would be a new experience but self catering is ok to. budget is not a problem, but want a good deal and not be ripped off.
ski holidays
raf mark, As others have suggested consider Mayrhofen. Cheaper than France, good apres ski, decent skiing and plenty of British girls who I'm sure must like men in uniform. wink If you book independently and fly into Munich you should be aware that the German train service offers a considerable discount for group bookings, applying to a minimum of 5 people. Munich to Mayrhofen at Easter was £34.50 return.
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy