Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Resort dilema: your opinions please

Poster: A snowHead
Having recently experienced the ridiculous overcrowding in French resorts whilst they have their winter holidays in Feb I have vowed never again to go again during that period.

I normally get my first trip in late Jan/early Feb, and then sometimes another in March.

However, the other half has a new job in a school so can only take holiday when the kids are away. Her wanting to come limits me to mid feb, which is of course the French holiday time.

Normally I go to the typical large french resorts, 3V, Paradiski, etc.

Probably a silly question, but is there anywhere that doesn't get stupid busy mid feb? Anywhere else in Europe (with reason)?

Plan B, tell her it's all too busy anywhere that time, too expensive, and that I'm going with the guys like I normally do and she can stay at home and look after the cat.
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Plan B
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Plan B is actually Plan A
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Ski Tyke,

In my experience:
La Rosiere - France, La Thuile - Italy

There will be plenty of others.
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
edde, two consecutive years at half term I have been to:

a) La Thuile, Italy. Linked with L* R*siere in France, and worthwhile easy day trips to nearby Pila and Courmayeur.
b) Valloire, France (actually stayed in Valmeinier, which is one of the towns linked by lift and piste into the area).

Both were pleasantly and surprisingly uncrowded. Barely ever really queued, not to nightmarish extents anyway. Five or ten minutes tops. A bit of traffic on the pistes of course.

Valloire/Valmeinier was by far the better skiing of the two. Seemed much much greater in extent despite both areas being quoted as around 150km piste.

I'd recommend either of those areas for a not-a-nightmare half term getaway.

A thread of mine that I started last year along similar lines, from where I got the Valloire idea: http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?p=973748

The other consideration at that time of year, as well as crowdedness, is cost.

We did the La Thuile gig completely independently, and used SnowTrex for the Valloire trip. Both came in extremely cheaply (somewhere in the order of £750 per person total spend).

In any case get those flights booked right now if you're using scheduled flights. They'll go up in price, and may sell out.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
edde, Gressoney la Trinite. Get a night in the Rifugio Guglielmina. Go heliskiing for less than you can pretty much anywhere else.

http://www.hoteldufour.it/index_e.asp

http://www.rifugioguglielmina.com/en/firsthome
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
I went to Zermatt for February half term this year. It wasn't too bad at all, busy obviously but bearable. Queues up first thing could be avoided by an early start and there were few big queues up the mountain.
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Colin B, I can imagine that being alright. We went at the other dreaded time - New Year - and it was totally fine.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
pretty much anywhere will feel quiet compared with the big Tarentaise resorts during February half term
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
The ones I mentioned felt quiet, period. The same level of congestion and queuing as an average January trip.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
edde, have you considered choosing a high resort and going at Easter school holidays, instead of half-term? That is our plan for next year. Seems to be plenty choice of resort - we are trying to decide between Saas Fee and Obergurgl, neither of which are likely to be too busy (I hope!). Plenty to choose from in France I think too (sorry, not too familiar with the high French resorts!)
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
edde, Agree with paulio, La thuile, we went half term in 2008, and it is very quiet in the week,
(have been lots of other times out of high season and it is very empty, how they make any money i don't know...) did not really queue at all, and at lunchtime you could be on your own on the blacks down to la thuile. La Ros side is quite a bit busier (except on saturday when la ros was empty!) Did sunday to sunday in planibel apartments, you can book them independently, stay in the monte bianco ones as they are better. Kitchen is minimal 2 rings and a fridge. Watching the different "policemen" turn up everyday, park in the main square and go skiing was interesting, plus the army and others night skiing race with headtorches. Nightlife........there is not really any
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
edde, I had very good reports for St Gervais last winter from a group of 20-ish at half term. Lifts, slopes and town were all much quieter than any other resorts they had endured (sorry, experienced wink ) at half term. Prices of accommodation are lower than many resorts too.

A SnowHead lived in St Gervais for the season with her family, and said the same thing
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
This thread is making me wistful. I love the process of researching and finding about little off-radar places, sourcing good deals and so on, and I'm not doing it this year Sad
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Val Cenis perhaps? It isn't that big compared to the mega-resorts, but it is amazingly cheap and never crowded (and you can use buses to ski other small resorts in the valley).
latest report
You could have a look at the Espace Diamant. Les Saisies is fairly busy in the French holidays but Notre Dame de Bellecombe and Praz sur Arly (part of the same area) much quieter. The fast new 6 man chair "Crets du Midi" was empty every time I used it at New Year last season - just skied straight onto it. The Arly Valley has quite a short season, but February should be fine. Very French area, varied skiing. But not a place for someone who doesn't cope well with drag lifts. Twisted Evil
snow report
Plan B
snow conditions
Plan B if you really want to stick to The Alps. Or Dolomites is a very big area (340km of piste) and is less crowded simply as less British people there and virtually no French.
Big self plug here ( Embarassed ) Half Term (13th Feb) fully inclusive - flight, transfers, liftpass, 3 * hotel near piste, half board, ski hire/carriage, etc etc £790 ex Gatwick or £690 (6th Feb) as other week but also with free ski school - you just ain't gona get anything like that in a French big ski area
ski holidays
Wayne, I sent a party of 12 your way about a month ago and they booked with you. Must be worth at least a free trip next year wink
snow report
Don't limit yourself to Europe.

I was looking at one of the tour operator websites at the weekend and for an extra 300 quid (for two) you can have 2 weeks in Jackson Hole vs. 2 weeks in crappy France.
ski holidays
Colin B,
We really have cut back the costs as much we can whilst still staying finically viable, so even groups of 50+ (we get a lot of them) don’t get free places. Sorry.
We do fully understand why other companies charge a lot during half term. OK some are just taking the p**s but most ain't. It's just that they have so many costs during low season that they have to claw back obvious losses during high season, hence the high costs. As we only operate during high season we don't need to claw back any losses, so the prices are cheaper. Not a plug just want to point out that not all TO’s are not as bad as some sections of the press (daily mail, etc) make them out to be.
latest report
Wayne, Only kidding Smile. My friends are well pleased as with booking such a large party so late they were being quoted horrendous prices elsewhere.
snow report
Colin B,
bug ger - should have charged em more Blush
snow conditions
Arno, Yeah - I had clients last winter who thought it wasn't that busy here, when I was wearing body armour and a helmet - I can't imagine how bad it must have been where they've been before. Shock
latest report
I think i'm probably the snowhead that Anniepen, was referring to. On the quietness. prety village, plenty of mileage, stunningly beautiful and easy access fronts I'd endorse her recommendation. The only busy spots during the whole of February were the very central runs and lifts in both St Gervais itself and Megeve, all of which are fairly easy to circumnavigate for most of the time. - and when I say busy I mean a 10 minute queue for lifts. It's not overly challenging though if that is on your criteria list.
snow conditions
Annie wrote:
I think i'm probably the snowhead that Anniepen, was referring to.
You are! Very Happy I was preserving your anonymity wink
ski holidays
We've done a February half term trip to the Aosta Valley in Italy. We stayed in Aosta, hired a car and skiied Pila, Courmayeur, Cervinia, La Thuile/ La Rosiere* and Cervinia/Zermatt.

By comparison with France at that time of the year (* I know La Ros is in France...) it was quiet on the slopes and we had no problems with queues.

1 lift pass covers all the above resorts (and a few more as well) and offers more than enough skiing to keep even the keenest of piste bashers happy!

Aosta is a lovely Roman town - but a far cry from your average ski resort. There's a pedestrianised centre, Roman ruins, lots of choice of restaurants and (quiet but very cheap) bars - and a 20 minute gondola ride links Aosta to the skiing at Pila.

All in all, highly recommended!
snow report
I'd suggest the Les Sybelles region. It's a large area rivalling the biggest of the major areas. We stayed in La Toussuire which is a nice quiet fFrench resort, but probably the liveliest of the four linked villages. You can also stay in Le Corbier which is in some of the major tour operator brochures. La Toussuire resort review here http://ski-concierge.com/blog/la-toussuire-resort-review/
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy