Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

French SIM Cards

Poster: A snowHead
Can anybody please advise me on PAYG costs on French Mobile Networks?.

We may have a couple or three trips next season and I was considering using our spare phones (unlocked) and installing French Sim cards as a cheaper option that using UK roaming facilities.

Bas
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
http://lmgtfy.com/?q=orange+fr+offres+pr%C3%A9pay%C3%A9es
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
^ Laughing

Orange mobicarte (PAYG) is 30 euros in the shops and 15 euros online. If you think you'll rack much more than that in roaming costs, then probably worth grabbing one. Virgin Mobile is also new here and their plans are substantially better than Orange, so that's worth looking at also.
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
There is currently a huge shake up going on in the European mobile phone industry as the OFT was receiving hundreds of complaints. Vodafone have just dropped there roaming chrges totally:

http://business.timesonline.co.uk/tol/business/industry_sectors/telecoms/article6289765.ece

Prob worth sitting back and seeing who else makes a move before the start of the season:

http://www.guardian.co.uk/technology/blog/2009/jul/01/roaming-charges

A group of my friends had a French PAYG phone which we all used however this was so we could give out a French number to potential employers and local women! wink

For a few weeks hols I'd prob just buy a phone card, but there may be a bigger saving than I realise so it may be worth looking into it a bit more!
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Note that you have to register for the cheaper Vodafone deal - it isn't automatic and, currently, only runs until the end of the summer:

http://online.vodafone.co.uk/dispatch/Portal/appmanager/vodafone/wrp?_nfpb=true&_pageLabel=templateBlank&pageID=OS_0099
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Also bear in mind that a foreign SIM will pick up any network that is available whilst a local one will only work with one.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Basil, Have you looked at http://www.sim4travel.com/

Same as having a local country SIM i.e. free incoming calls. I have used successfully in France and Austria. Saves having different SIMS.

Not sure how the prices compares to other operators now though.
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Basil wrote:
Can anybody please advise me on PAYG costs on French Mobile Networks?.

We may have a couple or three trips next season and I was considering using our spare phones (unlocked) and installing French Sim cards as a cheaper option that using UK roaming facilities.

Bas

Did a season last year and didn't really think it was worth as costs were some 40c / minute. I don't think I spent more than about 20 quid each month on calls and that was with quite a few 'meet at lift at 10:30 sms and 'where are you calls' but lets look at some recent figures and I'll ignore the Vodafone 'free deal', as it isn't necessarily going to be in place for next winter season

This PDF is a recent Orange.fr tariff plan from earlier this year, and it's 55c for a call and some 10c for a text which @ 1.16 euros to the gpb, comes to around 47p. O2 roaming gives a price of 35p per minute for all calls in zone (similar to the Orange deal). On o2 you're texts are free too, provided they're inside your bundle - you're charged at a rate of 4 to 1. It's 18p per minute to receive calls on O2 so if you both had O2 mobiles and one rang the other then you'd be paying 53p on O2 mobiles roaming (in total) compared with a 47p.

The French Prepays also have shockingly short validity periods (also in the PDF) but you'll need to topup with more than 15 euro for it to be able to last between trips.

Don't really think it's worth the hassle anymore, unless of course
(a) you need to receive lots of calls from home
(b) you need/want a local mobile if you're looking for work.
(c) you're going to be spending all day pretending you're Tarquin and Tabatha in Courchevel...No I'm on the white piste dahling...
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
you can go into the Carrefour pay €15 and walk out with a new handset & PAYG sim card - just thought I'd add current PAYG prices it into the debate.
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
What Marcellus said. Le Clerc do one too, and the money on it doesn't run out.
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Helen Beaumont, do you mean that the credit you put on the phone lasts a long time? We use our mobiles rather little, and have never bought a French SIM because of the ludicrous validity times - we'd have to try really hard to use up the credit before it expired.
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
pam w, yes. It doesn'r expire nearly so quickly. I haven't bought one myself yet , as LeClerc is quite a way to drive.
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
I don't think the Bouygtel credit expires in a short time either if you buy on line and get the right tarif........in fact just checked up the receipt from Mrs M top up for €10 which I did today and expires 16th March 2010..... I could have only topped up with €5 too!!!
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
marcellus wrote:
I don't think the Bouygtel credit expires in a short time either if you buy on line and get the right tarif........in fact just checked up the receipt from Mrs M top up for €10 which I did today and expires 16th March 2010..... I could have only topped up with €5 too!!!

A bouygues 10 E credit expires in 15 days. Shocked , that may not be important to you, you can keep your number for 8 months after.

http://www.carte.bouyguestelecom.fr/catalogueformules.htm
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
davidof, just relooked at the reciept and I will amend my previous post to say that the €10 I bought yesterday expires on the 14th September so that's valid for 3 months... my mistake.

Which is what the table you linked to says!!
snow conditions
http://www.leclercmobile.fr/ Link to LeClerc site, you might find the info you need on there pam w, I must look into it for next winter. http://www.leclercmobile.fr/formules/formule-mini.html is the one you would probably require. There appears to be a v small monthly charge, but you get 10€ of free credit which is valid for one year.
latest report
Helen Beaumont, I did look at that, but my eyes glazed over a bit at the sight of the complex tarif, which seems to depend on useage. I must have another look when I'm feeling stronger. snowHead
latest report
marcellus wrote:
davidof, just relooked at the reciept and I will amend my previous post to say that the €10 I bought yesterday expires on the 14th September so that's valid for 3 months... my mistake.

On the link I can only see 15 days for €10

10€ 20min 83 SMS 15 jours

are you sure the receipt doesn't mean you have to enter the code before teh 14th September?
snow report
TBH I am totally confused now... I see exactly what you're saying davidof, and agree with you on the €10 15 days validity from the site but............ bollox and double bollox I was looking at my receipt for €25 not Mrs M for €10 (I did them both on the same day).... she's going to peeved at me!

I've never looked before this topic... might have to reconsider what we do for phones Sad
ski holidays
davidof wrote:
marcellus wrote:

On the link I can only see 15 days for €10

10€ 20min 83 SMS 15 jours

On those rates that's 50c per minute ~ = 43p - kind of proves my point that it's not really worth it for short term stays..
snow report
Basil, I now use a sim4travel card, I did have a french SIM from Bouygtel, gave it up for two reasons, short expiry of credit and my french wasn't good enough to manage the top ups! We have a couple of sim4travel ones which we use in any country. With the french SIM we didn't use it enough and probably wasted some credit.manicpb, makes a good point in that roaming in Europe is changing and worth waiting to see what happens after the summer
snow report
marcellus wrote:
bollox and double bollox I was looking at my receipt for €25 not Mrs M for €10 (I did them both on the same day).... she's going to peeved at me!

well if it cheers you up I just bought a 60 euro recharge, thought I was set for 6 months, I don't call much. Tonight I'm in the French jura. Wife calls and chats for 20 minutes then an urgent work call, after about 10 minutes the phone cuts off. Very odd I thought. Tried calling out to get told my credit was out. My phone had locked onto a Swiss signal despite the fact that the Bouygtel signal was the strongest. So I got hit for roaming charges at whatever extortionate rate the French charge. 60 euros blown into thin air. My phone always locks onto the signal that costs me most !

bollox bollox and mega bollax. French phones are a total rip, hopefully Virgin, Auchan, le Clerc and co will shake things up but it is a bit of a cartel. 3G Internet charges are worse. We got stung for 600 euros on the work computer when the 3G card locked onto a French signal from Switzerland. That for an hours internet usage!
snow conditions
^ i feel your pain... the french mobile market is shocking. i've probably lost 150+ euros worth of credit over the last few couple of years purely because of ridiculous validity periods. what you get for contract phones compared to the UK and north america is just as bad.

i think the upstarts will push things along a little bit. a couple of weeks ago when i was looking for a new phone the staff in different stores were very forceful about recommending virgin mobile for longer validity, cheaper rates, etc. as much as they hate competition here sometimes, the big players will have to take notice.
snow report
Thanks all for your replies, interesting debate. Sorry I have not responded sooner but have been away. Think I'll wait and see what happens with roaming charges nearer the time, and consider some walkie talkies instead.
latest report
Quote:

it's not really worth it for short term stays..

we've not yet found it worthwhile for longer stays either - though I've not properly explored that LeClerc one. We put big top ups on our UK PAYG (Tesco Mobile) in case of emergencies which demand long talking but so far it's not happened. I just got back after 6 weeks, with a £55 credit to start with, and over £53 left when I returned. We use texts wherever possible (e.g. if delayed and likely to be late home from the airport) and use the apartment landline. There are still also quite a lot of public payphones around. But then we hardly use any credit in the UK either - half the time I forget to even take my phone with me. I guess someone who's used to constantly chatting on a mobile would find it irksome.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy