Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Jasper accomodation/ Marmot Basin skiing.......Advice please.

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Hi all,
I'm considering Jasper as an option for next Jan/Feb and was wondering if anyone had any info/opinions?. Particulary with regards to accomodation. I know the cheaper options are in the town (Astoria, Whistlers etc) with some hotels futher out (Sawridge) and obviously there's the Fairmont which is quite a distance away from town (hotel bus into town?) Any snowheads with first hand experience of any of these, good or bad?
Also anybody down the 5+ hour transfer from Calgary and lived to tell the tale?? Shocked I believe that Edmonton is a shorter transfer but with less choice with regards to flights?
Any info would be appreciated, paticulary skiing Marmot Basin snowHead
Cheers.
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
We spent a week in Jasper about 5 or 6 years ago. At that time, a week was enough, but since then they have opened significant new terrain. It was the quietest place I've ever skied, I think, and that was during UK easter school hols. SFAIK, all the hotels in Jasper are a short drive from the skiing at Marmot Basin; there's probably a bus of some sort. I think that we stayed in the Chateau Jasper; it was fine, nothing special, not in the same league (or the same ownership, SFAIK) as the Chateau Lake Louise, but perfectly comfortable. It lacked a really good bar, IIRC. That was a few years ago, of course, so it might be very different now.

We stayed the previous week in Banff and broke our journey on the way back in Banff (I wouldn't have bothered, but our chums didn't fancy the early start which would have been needed). The drive from Calgary to Jasper is fine, very straightforward (drive west to just beyond Lake Louise, turn right along the Icefields Parkway and there you are), and could easily be done in a oner. The only problem might be that the last part would probably be in the dark, so you'd miss the spectacular scenery and if the weather was poor, it might be a bit tedious. It's worth stopping at the Columbia Icefield.

5 or 6 years ago, the skiing was very enjoyable but a bit limited, as I've said. It's bigger now, and I believe that the newer stuff is at the more interesting end of things. It's the usual N.American model; you ski all over one face, and a spur or two, of the mountain. There were only one or two places to eat, IIRC. I'm not sure that 2 weeks would be ideal, even with the newer stuff; you might want to think about combining it with, say, LL or Banff, which has the advantage of breaking the journey in one direction.

The town is pleasant but was not as much fun as Banff. The surrounding area is astonishingly beautiful; it's worth taking a day to have a look around, maybe do a bit of snowshoeing, that sort of thing.
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
The drive is spectacular!

I drove it but not for the purpose of "getting through" to Jasper in the winter. It was part of a spring road trip after skiing. So my prospective was different. It took us 5 hours just to get from Banff to Jasper, because we stopped so much.

Just budget enough time to do it all during the day so you get to see the scanary.

We stayed at Chateur Jasper. Just another hotel. Spacious and comfortable, as expected.
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
First time I visited Jasper I flew to Edmonton (about a - tedious - 4 hour transfer: Calgary is even longer) and stayed at the Astoria. This was pretty comfortable, breakfast was substantial, and the De'd Dog bar - about the only night life in Jasper - is on the ground floor. There's a regular ski bus that goes from all the hotels to the ski area (about a 15 minute drive).

At that time I was pretty much a novice skier (it was my second trip ever), so the limited nature of the ski area didn't really worry me.

The next time I visited, it was several years later, and for only a couple of days as part of a longer trip to Banff. As abc says, the drive from Banff to Jasper is a spectacular one, up the Icefields Parkway. This is something you definitely need to do during the day. The second time I stayed at the Sawridge. - Again, this was quite comfortable, although this might be disputed by Mrs A, who chose those few days to go down with the flu, so was confined to her room the whole time, guzzling Tylenol. Unfortunately, the hotel were in the throes of recarpeting most of the rooms (winter is low season in Jasper) and so she was subjected to a continuous background of hammering throughout the day. Not what you want (although of course it wouldn't have mattered if she'd been healthy, and ths out on the hill).

The second time, I definitely felt that the size of the area was a limitation. This was before they opened up more terrain, but even so, it's still a relatively small hill, and you can pretty much ski it all out in a couple of days.

It's certainly worth a visit, but I'd strongly recommend making it a small part of a road trip, or a longer stay at a larger centre, like Banff, especially if apres ski is important to you. Jasper is a small town, and there's not a lot going on there.
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
WE stayed at Jasper Park lodge for part of our honeymoon in 2001 and I can really really recommend it- a special place to stay

Have also stayed at Becker's chalets which were fine- but not sure they are open in the winter.

The drive from Calgary to Jasper may or may not be OK, It is spectacular that's for sure, and I wouldn't do it in the dark straight off a flight. Try to do it in the day in a winterised vehicle
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
We've stayed at both the Jasper Inn and The Sawridge twice each.
Both good hotels.
Both about a 10/15 minute walk out of the centre.

Would stay at either again - cheapest would win.

We've always flown to calgary. sometimes the banff road to Jasper is open (middle of January) and the five hour transfer actually is very easy. If the road is shut you can add another hour/hour and half to go on the Edmonton road. Again time passes easily enough.

If you're really unlucky and the flight gets diverted to Edmonton then this can be tedious. If you can't land at Calgary then you can bet that the banff road to Jasper is shut. So you have to wait for all the coaches to come up from Calgary and then its about four hours on the road to Jasper. The tedious bit is waiting for the travel company to organise the transport and sort themselves out (this prompted the only written complaint I've ever made to a travel company it was that bad). Edmonton airport staff however are the best in the world at coping with this!
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
excitableboy, I assumed that you will be hiring a car; apart from the convenience, you'll be able to drive to and fro the skiing as you wish and take advantage of the scenic drive along the Icefields Parkway, have a look at the Columbia Icefield and avoid a possible wait at Edmonton (assuming that they have a enough hire cars for all the diverted passengers, should be Ok in Jan/Feb, I'd think).
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
excitableboy, Whistlers offers bigger rooms but the Astoria really is a cool place to stay. Both are downtown, as is the Athabasca.

Most of the lodges are a good half mile away (Saw/Jasp/Tonq) which though not far, at minus twenty night after night might make you lazy.

The JPL is too far out, and expensive, for most.

Nightlife is mainly "older" and "Canadian". Which, for me, is no bad thing. De'd dog bar (Paul/Wendy/Katzi/Rico) microcosm of local life, but bit cliquey.

Marmot Basin..........................Now I can't quite get this "limited terrain/ok for a few days" thing that keeps cropping up. There is loads, if you can do it, but it can be a bit bare. There isn't any new terrain (that I'm aware of) but there is a new Express Quad this year from the base to Paradise ridge.

Good quality slope time, no lift queues ('cept weekends/hols). Forty minute ride up by bus (from town), about twenty-five by car.

Nice town, not as plastic as Banff, and far cheaper.

Jasper seems to get under your skin. Weird. Going back late Mar'10, fourth time.

Have posted other Jasper stuff, if you search.

John.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
I'd agree with the 'gets under your skin'. We've been four times in the last ten years. Going to Kimberley BC this year for a change - but I'd move to Jasper tomorrow given the chance (and the funds!)
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy