Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Wanted: people working towards BASI 2 (alpine) for group lessons this winter, who knows where/when

Poster: A snowHead
I just got through my BASI 1 Alpine and now I'm hooked and want to do level 2 ASAP.

Hoping to find a BASI tutor, or well qualified BASI instructor at least, available for a week this winter to put in some work on it. But I don't much fancy doing it on my own, or paying for it on my own either!

Anyone in the same boat who might want to join me?

Will investigate where/when it might be possible, and post more when I know.

Cheers,

Emily
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
emilyw, welcome to Snowheads ... and many congratulations Very Happy Very Happy
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
masmith wrote:
emilyw, welcome to Snowheads ... and many congratulations Very Happy Very Happy

back atcha masmith.

trouble is now I have itchy feet to get on a mountain again. sitting in an office chair is making me grumpy!
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
emilyw, welcome to snowHead's and well done on your L2

Thats a good idea. Some regular contributors here have recently done BASI 2 so may be able to give sugestions. I think what you would need are courses that will work on fine tuning technique rather than just "follow me". A Warren Smith or Phil Smith (snowworks) course might be good. If you have a group of people with the same goals you could get them to gear the training to prime you for L2.
From what I know Warrens courses are more of a freeride bias and Phils a racing one. Both seem to be pretty hot on proper technique and get lots of praise here.
In the mean time it might be worth getting in contact with some of the snowheads who instruct at Hemel (Rob@Rar and Skimottaret). There are some snowheads get togethers and coaching days scheduled at Hemel for the next few months (including this Saturday). See the respective threads for details.
When and where are you hoping to do your L2.
I'm currently considering it but probably will do it as a gap course as part of a season trip or else out of season next year after doing a season.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
masmith, congrats to you too wink
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
RPF wrote:
... and Phils a racing one.

Not exclusively. Snoworks run race-focused weeks in the pre-season, but in the winter they run a range of piste performance, off-piste and backcountry courses, plus some adventure trips such as South American volcanoes and Japanese powder.
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Yup, Snoworks was the kind of thing I was thinking of.

Looking to do the L2 maybe end of 2010, haven't thought about where yet!

PS. anyone reading this who skis Cas, if you spot someone with very bright red hair, do come over and say Hi
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
emilyw, Snoworks run non-race weeks in the autumn too.
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
I read the listings on the Snoworks website, and some of those weeks would suit me fine, but if there were a bunch of us all working towards our level 2 we could get an instructor to ourselves and really hammer those level 2 requirements ... even better I reckon.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
emilyw, there's a BASI group on Facebook. I don't know whether it gets much traffic, but you could also try posting there to see if you can drum up any interest. NewGen (and Snoworks I think) run ISIA training weeks which might be suitable for what you're looking for, and skimottaret arranged a similar training week for his BASI development last season with Izzy Milne in Courchevel. Plenty of options out there, you just need to get the numbers together to make it viable.
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
good call rob@rar, just posted on the facebook group. cheers.
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
emilyw, I think you are doing the right thing trying to get a group together and then approaching someone directly rather than just rocking up on a general course. Most trainers are very up for this sort of thing as long as you have enough in a group.

I put together a group for an Adaptive L1 course of around 6 people and BASI is running as a special course for us tomorrow.
I also got a couple of people together to do an ISIA tech prep week and found a basi trainer to do it no problem.

I think you need to figure out where you want to do it and then track down a trainer in that area. Personally i would start indoors with regular training sessions, split a few ways it could work out cheaper than a mainstream course and you will get exactly what you want.

There are a few that do professional development courses such as R21, Newgen and snoworks.
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
skimottaret wrote:

I think you need to figure out where you want to do it and then track down a trainer in that area. Personally i would start indoors with regular training sessions, split a few ways it could work out cheaper than a mainstream course and you will get exactly what you want.

Now there's an idea. <puts thinking cap on>
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Top Tip - try and get someone how is a current BASI trainer or tutor (like Becci at BASS or Lee at Snoworks) that way you'll be sure to get the correct ideas about what will be needed on your course.
Lee = http://www.snoworks.co.uk/i-skiing/one_to_one.html
Becci = http://www.britishskischool.com/morzine/instructors.htm
There are lots of other people
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
emilyw, Look here http://www.mccannix.com/courses_description.htm
Andy does exactly what you are asking for, I know he does it in Andorra and I have also met him in Gridelwald doing courses there.
ski holidays
Emily - are you still looking for people to do Level 2 training? I am too. I would suggest trying BASS at Val d'Isere. Steve Angus was doing instructor training at Hemel, and has now gone out to Val. He circulated a farewell email to people he had instructed at Hemel (me included), and perhaps a group will fix something up with him. Another possibility is World Class Skiing (Alex Leaf and others), which is pretty focused towards instructor training, I think. Snoworks with Lee or Emma is fine if for a specific Level 2 training week, but I'm not too sure if a general all mountain week is focused enough. There are others in the BASI course directory.

I'm not too sure about circulating other people's email addresses but perhaps you are still in touch with some of the people on your Level 1 at Hemel?
snow report
TonyH, emilyw, welcome to snowHeads!
latest report
I would second World Class Skiing. I did a course with them last year, it was great. There were lots of L1 instructors on the course. I think they also run weeks specifically geared towards people working towards BASI exams, so suggest you drop Alex an email.
ski holidays
Another vote for Alex Leaf
World Class Skiing - Jan 2010 - Mayrhofen
snow report
emilyw, Hi, First you are doing absolutely the right thing to perpare properly - means you will get more out of the Level 2 courses, not just pass it. There's lots of input for ISIA level too on the Level 2 courses. But you'll get the most benefit & enjoyment if you are safely at Level 2 when you go on the course. Any current BASI Alpine Trainer would be perfect. Lots run specific, scheduled groups for BASI quals at various levels. Lots of different BASS schools have these, but suggest Helen & Peter at BASS Chatel. Also Giles & Paul at 'tdc' Val d'isere/tignes. Have fun!
ski holidays
There's an excellent trainer half Austrian half English, Toby Fishel, email him at tobias@carveski.com he often coaches for BASI courses. He'll do one to one or groups - his prices are good and will often do just for the love of it...... very unusual and very effecitive! Cipria
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy