Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Ski Servicing

Poster: A snowHead
What's the difference between a "full Service" and a "hot was and edge"?
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Chris, a full service is a base grind, hot waz and edge, is just waxing the base and sharpening the edges. It's not difficult to learn how to do it yourself, if you go to www.toko.com you should find some information.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
How often should a ski have its base ground?
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Chris M-J, how long is a pice of string, depends on how you ski, what the underlying conditions are like (lots of stones means redoing the bases more often) if you race you tend to get them done far more often, normaly I'd only have mine re ground every 4 to six weeks of skiing, waxing typically once every week to two weeks with hot wax, more often (sometimes daily) with a liquid wax, edges get tuned every few days in poor conditions once a week in good conditions, just getting rid of burrs etc
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
That web link for Toko should be www.tokowax.com

Anyone caught doing a hot waz on my skis will get a serious ear bashing from me Wink
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
you kinky git.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Chris M-J, The important differences are a) a grind will wear your skis out faster, and b) shops will charge you more for the priviledge.

The bases of your skis need grinding to make them flat. You can check this yourself with any straight edge/true bar. Ski shops use automated repair machines that fill any holes in your skis, and then re-grind the whole ski base. If you repair the holes yourself, you do not need to grind the ski.

The basic tools to repair and wax skis cost less than £100 - or about 4 services. It's an easy way to save money, and you'll soon find you can do as good job as you'd get from a shop.
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Chris M-J, Get them done in resort at the end of your holiday. Say you want a wax and edge and ask the ski tech if he/she (well, it is possible but I've never met a female one) thinks they need a full service. If he doesn't, (and that's most times), he'll say they don't, as they don't need the business there.

In England, however, ski service shops don't get much business and will be more likely to "recommend" a full service. And as ski, said, your skis will wear out faster.

This is from my, and friends, experience.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
No offence ski but there is no way that if you fill your own gouges you can still get a finish comparable to a good service by a shop to get your skis flat again.

Agreed that you dont always need a full base grind. But if you have to fill any holes, you are better off getting the shop to do it and getting a full service whilst you're at it.

Why? You say yourself that "the bases of your skis need grinding to make them flat." This can only really be done if you grind them. So, to go fill hole with a bunch of p-tex yourself and then expect them to still be flat is pushing the imagination a bit. This is why shops grind the bases after p-tex fills. If you don't, your bases will no longer be flat. Simple as that.

P-texing yourself is more of a temporary measure. If you want to ski tomorrow and the shop can't get them done in time, then I agree, fill them yourself - the skis will then be skiable, but they won't be performing at their best.

The other situation is when you get smaller scratches and dings in the bases. You can feel that they are there, and affeecting your skis performance, but are to shallow to fill - the ptex just gets knocked out. Tkae them to the shop and they will actually 'clear out' the scratch, make it deeper and therefore more receptive to the addition of new ptex, or give the bases a grind and remove the blemishes in this way.

Servicing skis is like servicing your car - if you have all the tools and ability, you can do it yourself to keep them running fine. However, every once in a while you need to get a full MOT from a pro!
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
JonL wrote:
No offence ski but there is no way that if you fill your own gouges you can still get a finish comparable to a good service by a shop to get your skis flat again.

I don't see why not, I can. It really rather depends on what tools you've got doesn't it?
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
ise, likewise, I've never had any problems getting my bases flat after filling the scratches, but it does take the right tools and a bit of practice Laughing
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
A lot also depends on the skill/care of the shop, skis don't always come out with flat bases after a service. It's not difficult to fill with p-tex and scrape flat. One thing is for sure ski servicing costs a lot less in a resort than it does in the UK.
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
actually, I meant to add it takes me some time Very Happy Grinding the bases is destructive of course as well.
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Thanks again. I will opt for an edge and wax. Not sure I will ever get into doing the job myself as I dont get to ski as often as some of you (maybe 2 x 8 day weeks a year).
Also my ski's, which I found in a tombola stall, are Rossi CObra's, supposed to be good but the ski school guy suggested that I will outgrow them in a year. I will probably not be able to justify to myslef the purchase of new ski's and will end up renting thereafter.
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
We needed our skis sorted after thin snow in La Plagne last new Year. The guys in the ski shop were excellent, even telling us to knock on the door at 5am in the morning as we left, and they would be there for us. Despite a couple of gouges, all they needed were waxed and edged, nothing major required.
ski holidays
I am just about to spend a few hours repairing the pre Christmas damage to our skis in preparation for our next outing on 13th Feb.

I am wondering if the black p-tex candles I use ( Toko from Snow and Rock ) are the best product I can get to repair my skis with. What do the repair shops use? Also is p-tex a generic name and are there other/better brands available to Joe Public?

CP
latest report
CP, depends on how big the gouges are, P-Tex contains a high proportion of wax so it's best fro small repairs. Most service locations have better quality plastics. You're going to La Rosiere so you could ask Richard the Ski Olympic ski-tech in the Roc Noir to service your skis overnight, I think he charges about 15 Euros or go to Twinners opposite Chalet Oliver, very good for all servicing and they'll do it overnight as well.

Last edited by Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person on Mon 31-01-05 15:11; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
David@traxvax, Thanks I will probably do that if we get there!! The injury I sustained in Les Arcs before Christmas, sprained medial ligament, flared up yesterday result of refereeing an under 10's football match. I have to see the Doc on Wednesday to get the go ahead or not.

CP
snow report
Hope you're OK.
ski holidays
David@traxvax, I have the blessing of my GP to go, providing I take it easy and wear an industrial strength knee brace. She was actually very pleased with the progress made in terms of mobility of my leg. Important thing is I am now covered for insurance purposes as I have taken the advice of a medical practioner for an existing injury and this is recorded on my medical records.

So to get back on the subject I am a happy bunny and will be filing, filling and waxing skiis on Saturday.

Cheers

CP
snow report
CP, just in case the cabinet medical is in the Chalets de Rosiere near the Plein Soliel hotel. I hope you don't have to consult M le Medecin but if you do he speaks excellent English. There is a Massuer whose practice is in Le Tyrol apartments. All within hobbling distance of Chalet Oliver Little Angel
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy