Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Indoor insurance

Poster: A snowHead
Having seen my life flash before my eyes during an 'interesting' drill courtesy of Sir Rob, I thought I'd ask intelligent snowHeads (any out there?) what the situation is with accidents on a dry/indoor slope. I always get insurance before going on holiday and whilst I'm sure slopes have insurance, is it to the same standards? I can't find any small print on the Snow Centre website but I also can't really find any year round insurance for skiing in the UK. I'm mad/bad/dangerous enough that a fairly serious accident seems entirely possible on a 150m slope. Shocked
Help?
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
CSki, when you're in the UK, I assume if you're a UK taxpayer and entitled to healthcare on the NHS you would receive any treatment from them. There would also be no costs involved with mountain rescue, flying you home, holiday curtailment etc so you don't need insurance in the same way you do when abroad...

With regards using your owns skis this might be covered on your household contents insurance.

I would imagine you sign or acknowledge a disclaimer of some kind when paying to use The Snow Centre.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
beanie1, true..... As a horse rider I've always had insurance in the UK in case of bad falls requiring physio or expensive dentistry etc, where the NHS might not suffice. I'd go so far as to say there are times I feel more in control of a horse than my own skis!
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
beanie1, The HNGBs (Snowsport England, Scotland & Wales) provide some cover to registered performers and coaches, I don't know of anyone who has claimed on it though.

I think this extends to affiliated clubs too but I don't know how it is costed (number of members ?).
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
rjs, for medical expenses?

CSki, guess you could do the same for skiing then for things like physio, but the NHS is good for emergencies. I don't think private medical insurance has exclusions for skiing injuries does it? Mine doesn't as fas as I'm aware.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
rjs, the SSE insurance is 3rd party public liability (and professional indemnity) only. For clubs, it covers all club activities, whether on snow or not, abroad or in the UK. It does NOT cover personal injury.
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
beanie1, From memory it does, the last time I looked at the policy it was similar to holiday/race insurance but only covered events organized by the HNGB or affiliated club.
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
GrahamN, OK, I haven't been sent a copy of the policy for a long time.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Seems unlikely it would cover personal injury - the premium would be astronomical when you think of the cost of private medical insurance.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
beanie1, I'm pretty sure it did cover personal injury at one point.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Never even crossed my mind and I'm on dry at least twice a week, often more, as well as using indoor slopes on a more infrequent basis. Additionally I do all sorts of silly things on the Scottish mountains (including ski them Shocked ) and again it's not crossed my mind but then I grew up doing that so take it for granted.

I have year round winter sports insurance but IIRC it doesn't cover the UK.
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
I have income replacement insurance. I need it because my employers do not pay any leave taken for injuries and only pay 3 three weeks per rolling year for illness. I really had to shop around to find a policy that covered injuries due to skiing, motorcycling, cycling, horse riding, etc. and the one I have covers any non-professional sport and any legal form of road transport. It's worth talking to an IFA for specific forms of insurance.

I have separate travel insurance for actual holidays, but the income replacement insurance still applies, i.e. if I have an accident on holiday, the travel insurance sorts out treatment, etc. abroad and getting me home, the income replacement insurance takes care of paying the mortgage and stuff whilst I'm not earning.
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
queen bodecia, who do you get that insurance from??? (and roughly (send a PM if better) how much does it cost) probably somehting i should be looking at
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
CSki,I think you should be covered by NHS services. In the event of a serious accident at Hemel an ambulance is called, and The Snow Centre staff would assist paramedics to evacuate the injured person by using the bloodwagon that lives at the top of the slope.

Of course the best thing to do is avoiding injury in the first place, so I recommend not closing your eyes and screaming like a girl...

Wink
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
beanie1 wrote:
CSki, when you're in the UK, I assume if you're a UK taxpayer and entitled to healthcare on the NHS you would receive any treatment from them. There would also be no costs involved with mountain rescue, flying you home, holiday curtailment etc so you don't need insurance in the same way you do when abroad...

With regards using your owns skis this might be covered on your household contents insurance.

I would imagine you sign or acknowledge a disclaimer of some kind when paying to use The Snow Centre.

Which leaves 3rd partly liability. Maybe household insurance would cover that.
snow report
rob@rar wrote:
Of course the best thing to do is avoiding injury in the first place, so I recommend not closing your eyes and screaming like a girl...

Typical instructor, yet more "Do as I say, not as I do" Twisted Evil NehNeh
ski holidays
Sideshow_Bob, when I close my eyes and scream like a girl I'm simply illustrating how not to do it. Sometimes negative examples can be as useful as positive examples Wink
snow report
I'm pretty sure (although I don't have the policy to hand) that my annual multi-trip SCGB policy covers dry-slope and snowdome skiing as well Puzzled
snow report
Yoda, quite probably - assuming there is no limit to the number of skiing days.
latest report
Yoda, As does DogTag....but trips in the home country are only covered if you prebook overnight accommodation for at least 2 nights, so day trips to HH wouldn't be covered. I'd guess that SCGB has a similar restriction?
ski holidays
homphomp, hmm yes I have looked up the SC site and that does appear to be the case - so if I live at the bottom of a snowy mountain and go skiing on it I'm not insured? What about third party liability in such a case? This is not good news Shocked
latest report
Good thread, and an incentive to look at the small print - which, on the 'physician heal thyself' basis, I'm regrettably lax about doing. Embarassed
snow conditions
My major concern is not personal injury or damage/loss for myself but my third party liability should I cause injury or loss to someone else whilst skiing (or indeed cycling or anything else for that matter). The SC policy (which is unlimited skiing and doesn't appear to specifically restrict "skiing" to "only on natural snow") doesn't actually appear to cover the majority of my skiing time rolling eyes Time to read the small print on household insurance and my slope instructor's insurance as Hurtle suggests Shocked
latest report
Household insurance will cover your personal liability ie if you damage someone else or their property and negligance can be proven, even if there are no damages to pay the insurers will pick up any defense costs.

As for your own personal injury cover, most accident and illness policies wil cover you 24 hrs a day, however the policy will need to have been written on the right basis in the first place ie did you say your a skier when you took it out. Your employers may have an accident and illness policy that covers you, worth checking that angle out, plus any PMI you have as part of your benefits package may pick up accidental injury.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy