Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Should mountaincraft be an essential part of ski school?

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Reading about the fatalities from avalanches on this site and others makes quite depressing reading. It is the inevitability of such fatalities following certain snow conditions Sad

I was just wondering whether everyone attending ski schools should be forced ( for one hour ) to learn basic safety in the mountains. It could be done at the end of the week, prior to a certificate awarding ceremony ( to ensure that this theoritical session is not skipped ).

I am not suggesting that it would prevent all such accidents, but it would raise awareness of the dangers. When I learned to ski 10 years ago ( in Italy ) no mention was made of this knowledge. Yes, the majority of my skiing has been on-piste. As would be the case with the majority of people, I guess.

Perhaps a lower insurannce premium could be available for people who have passed the course upon production of a certificate.

Views please or should the " laissez faire " situation persist?
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
I don't think that you can force people to learn something that they don't want to. The logistics would also be a nightmare, what language would the talks be given in? If you sit through a talk in a language that you don't understand do you still get a certificate?

It amazes me that people don't understand that quite apart from the dangers of avalanches, the mountains can be quite dangerous places. The weather can change rapidly, as can the temperature. It doesn't take too much to become lost, even in a resort that you know well. I think that people assume that you can get there on a package holiday, people will look out for you. Thank god that the resorts take the opinion that if you choose to ski, then you assume most of the inherent risk yourself, and that people are quite capable of making decisions themselves. The responsibility for an individual's safety has to remain with the individual IMHO.
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Kramer, well put, I agree. I guess the thorny issue is third-party liability, but I still lean to the view that compulsory lessons would be a bit of a logistical nightmare, and might not deter all those with a tendency to irresponsibility.
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
I'm not sure about teaching everyone "mountaincraft", but I do think that all snow users should be made aware of the Responsibility Code at the START of a ski trip. Many more accidents (and near misses) occur on slope than do due to avalanches, and most could be prevented if people knew and obeyed the responsibility code.
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Wear The Fox Hat, most of the tour operators that I've been with recently have made people aware of the code at the start of the trip, it's just that people don't bother listening.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Quote:

I don't think that you can force people to learn something that they don't want to
. Oh yes the State can - witness schools, driver's licence schemes, etc, ad nausem. I too am amazed that there's no insistence by resort management that ski schools provide basic mountain knowledge as it pertains to skiing/snowboarding as part of a normal lesson. I would've thought there would be pro-active legislation encouraging resort management to ensure such information is practically forced (in some way or another) down lift user's throats. Certainly this responsibility shouldn't be foisted onto Tour Ops.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
oohh, I see that this is nicely shaping up to be a debate Cool

Whilst I can see that personal responsibility is primary to an individual, I also think that more should be done to educate people of basic mountain use safety. The ski schools, because of commercial/linguistic pressures will cut these corners if they can get away with it. You could argue that people will continue on to behave irresponsibilly or ignore advice but that IMO should not overide the need to properly educate people in the safety and dangers aspect of going up into the mountains.

Ski schools tend to concentrate in learning the practical and fun aspects of skiing, and probably perhaps of the linguistic problems, put a lesser emphasis of safety and responsibility in the mountains. Ski schools could carry a kite mark " approved safety ski school " or whatever. A 1/2 hour video, in the language of your preference, could be played at the beginning/end of the week. Probably would need government, possibly Local in the allocation and approval of licences, to succeed. If there are any French bureaucrats reading this thread ..... I can see them drafting the relevant legislation. Which would be not too different from say the London black cab licences issued by the Carriage Office.

Think of the savings in hospital resources, lower insurance premiums hopefully and more responsible skiers/boarders ( mostly ) on the mountains. Normally I would not argue for state involvement as private business can usually do better in most cases. But the net benefit to the public in this case would seem to out-weigh the private benefit of laissez faire. The smoking ban in Ireland is a case in point - but that's another argument for another thread snowHead
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
BTW - governments of english-speaking nations hate to meddle if private business can and is doing a reasonable job of protecting consumer interests. They tend to meddle only at the last minute, when private business is clearly failing to do so. Dunno about Continental governments (would think the French one at least would be a bit more pro-active). I'm with hibernia on this one - protect away, o' governments of Alpine nations!
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Last time I travelled on a resort transfer coach we were shown a video of a begginer learning to ski. perhaps they could show us one on mountain safety and avalnche awareness .
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
I lose count of how many times and in how many places people are told not to go off piste without a guide. People don't do it out of ignorance, it's through stupidity. If you hire a guide, or join a guided group, mountain safety and avalanche awareness is always part of the introductory lessons. If people choose not to listen, or lie about their competence, then it's their own fault.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
I don't think you can force ski schools to teach mountain safety/awareness, but all ski teachers should, at the very least teach some. Unfortunately many skiers don't want to know all the interesting bits about snow conditions, avalanches, skier safety etc. I think it's urban life making most people feel that we've beaten nature and are now in charge. I wonder if the Tsunami in SE Asia will change peoples' feelings on this?

Actually I do personally try to make sure all my students have some basic knowledge, and if possible point out a (previously fallen) avalanche, explain a little about the stability of snowpack etc. Also weather conditions .........

However hibernia, 's idea about a kite mark would just mean that all independants wouldn't be able to qualify. How would we pay the required amount for the subscription? OK for big ski schools, but little operators? Then we wouldn't be able to attract clients because our(and their) insurance costs would be too high.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy