Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Board bag, what type

Poster: A snowHead
Had a quick look at board bags but not sure what to get .
I found a nice pretty burton padded back for £25 on one website but is it best to pay the extra and get one of these 'coffin' bags Puzzled
Whats airport policy on bags?
Do they weigh them ? Can you stuff as much as possible in them or is it just board and bindings?
Does anyone know of any good deals at the moment?
Its a shame that snowheads dont sell one with the logo on then i could show everyone that i am a member of a gr8 website community
I have never travelled with a board before so dont know and positve info welcome.
Andrew
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Depends on what & where you fly - I backpacked round Chile & Argentina with a lightweight backpack style one & would go for that if I was concerned about weight limits.

On the other hand my coffin roller is great- board, skis, kit everything in one bag - drag round airports, stations etc easy ,but do have to watch for weight limits on planes.
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
As fatbob. Have both.

A sleeve is good where you're weight limited (most charter flight).

A wheeled coffin is good where you can go up to 32kgs (most/some scheduled).

So check, in advance, on your allowance.

If you're not flying, if you can fit a coffin in choose that. But be warned, you normally end up taking loads of cr@p you don't need or use, 'cause you can. And even with wheels, it can be a pain to lug around.

John.

Last edited by Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see? on Sat 4-07-09 10:20; edited 1 time in total
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
andybabes, yeah, as fatbob says, watch the weight limits. different airlines have different restrictions.

do a search on the forum as questions have been asked on the subject before and extensive answers have been given about many of the airlines.

the only problem with stuffing the coffins is that they can become quite heavy (and dangerous!) if fully loaded and are awkward to get around tight corners. it's probably a good idea to keep the max weight to 20kg.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
A padded sleeve provides enough room for 2/3 boarding pants, boots, slim boarding backpack and a few extras (socks, towels, etc)! Coffins will provide for a for some larger extras but they do look a bit more hassel to lug through a rammed Geneva airport, negotiating corners/other peoples luggage/kids sitting in the middle of the floor refusing to move with 3 metres of luggage behind you cant be much fun (please note I've never used one).

For those reasons I'd save the extra £100 on a coffin and go for a padded sleeve!
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
manicpb wrote:
A padded sleeve provides enough room for 2/3 boarding pants, boots, slim boarding backpack...

Oh and last year a pair of snowblades...they were'nt mine! Embarassed
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Coffins are a pain to get in a small rental car, difficult in hotel lifts...i've had a couple now and won't be getting another one, the airlines are getting really strict about heavy bags. We had the handles slashed off one of ours by baggage handlers too. Sleeve all the way!
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Love my coffin bag, but as firebug, says, major issues with getting in the car as do not fit in the ski box to get to Gatwick - ie have to load it there. But keeps the board very safe with all the extra padding from clothes, etc.
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
We just bought two Dakine Tour bags from REI.com for 80€ including postage. Mine fits skis, board and all the rest of my stuff except for ski boots and helmet.
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Have a cheapo (£7.99) Lidl bag for two years. I could fit board/bindings/boots plus the odd clothing item.. I thought it was the perfect size. Easy to handle at airports and in cars, and can still take a few things...
It all came apart on my last trip of the season this year tho, so need a new one now and will go for the same type/size..
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
My Lidl padded sleeve will take my board, boots, bindings, all my boarding clothes and some other clothes. I then take a hand luggage sized ruck sack (which i use on the mountain) and wear my boarding jacket/fleece etc. This will give me maybe four/five days of clean clothes and boarding gear, (most of my trips are that duration) after that I may need to wash a few bits and bobs at the end of a full week or wear some clothes twice. A rammed full sleeve weighs about 14kg and falls within the normal flight allownaces and I do not need to pay for any other check-in baggage.

Coffin bags are beiginning to be a hassle with repsect to weight etc and almost every occassion I fly my board bag is weighed
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Kruisler, same as me - it is starting to get battered (big pocket has split) - but I will get a few more trips out of it with some gaffa tape stuff to the rescue

Mine is yellow, what colour is yours ?
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
rayscoops,

Red. Very Happy

First the long "over the shoulder" strap went, then I realised a few areas of stitching here an dther where showing signs of giving up, and finally one of the shoulder straps snapped off (at the stitching..) as was putting the board on my back at stansted coming back from my last trip of the year. Board kind off fell back and I nearly clobbered the guy behind me...
Basically it is as if the stitiching/material has gone all brittle..
The bag served me 3 season though effectively... At £7.99 that's a bargain... and at that price I am notfaffing about with duck tape ( I do enough f that on my VW van!), I just get a new one if they still do them... Toofy Grin
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Kruisler, mine is going the same way but all straps are still ok. I bought mine a few years ago when you mentioned you had one. It has probably cost me an average of 50p per trip so far and will be keeping an eye out for another one from Lidl Very Happy

edit - all my other bags have fallen apart in some manner after a few trips, and even my coffin bag, which got run over by an idiot at Gatwick when i was leaving the carpark to get to the airport at 5 am in the dark; the zip was bust but i superglued it together and gaffaa taped it up where it would not close Very Happy
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
rayscoops, Kruisler, what colour is your handbag ??????? you will be swapping stilleto styles next wink
snow report
DebbiDoesSnow,

Can't you let us girls have some fun then?
latest report
I got my sessions padded board bag for £20 from the Maxx last year..... their stock can be a bit hit and miss as I'm sure you are aware though but worth keeping a look out!
snow report
DebbiDoesSnow, bi-atch Little Angel Laughing
snow conditions
i use a padded or wheelie bag depending on who im flying with
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy