Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Zermatt.

Poster: A snowHead
Going there with Scott Dunn on sunday, never been before, so what do I need to know.
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
You've got skis, Zermatt's got snow, that seems to about cover it really Very Happy
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
ise, do the skis point up the hill, or down the hill? rolling eyes
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
get some twin tips, it's not so important.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
ise, bandits are definitely unidirectional.

As a Swiss resident do you have any other suggestions about Zermatt? How long is the transfer time?
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Quote:

Going there with Scott Dunn

Start with the cutlery at the outside of the setting and work your way inover wink
Would love to hear what SD are like when you get back.
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
The ankle?

Looking forward to the Scott Dunn experience myself. The tea in bed in the morning sounds great.
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
The transfer is about 3/3½ hours from Geneva. Be prepared for a lot of walking while there. Use the ski buses as much as possible to save your walking legs (and to reduce chance of falling over while walking in ski boots). The skiing is fantastic & the mountain restaurants are superb.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Frosty the Snowman, pass the port to the left?

Pete Horn, thanks for the tips.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
And, I should add, free internet access in the Paperella Pub so you can send daily reports to snowHeads snowHead snowHead snowHead
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Pete Horn, I would love to, but when I'm skiing, accessing the internet is very low on my list of priorities. Even if I set off into town heading towards an internet cafe, I soon get side tracked.
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
I popped in there on two evenings. Must admit snowHeads reports didn't go in. Embarassed

Off to Tignes tomorrow so signing off for now. Enjoy Zermatt.
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Enjoy Tignes.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Quote:

The ankle?
My Alzheimers, thought I had edited it out before it was spotted
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Kramer, try the North Wall bar. I went on Mr Goldsmith's recommendation and loved it. Found a lot of the Zermatt bars a bit posh for me, but I felt well at home in the North Wall. Also I never thought I'd find anywhere more expensive than Verbier.....until I went to Zermatt.

Do have lunch in Italy, and as referred to in previous threads enjoy the world's best on mountain loos at Trockerner Steg.
ski holidays
Eating in Italy definitely a good option to save a bit of cash.
Triftji mogul field meant to be one of the best- it's never been open when I've been there though!!!
Watch out for the National black run back from Sunnegga in the evenings, seems to have a habit of being very icy and strewn with corpses!
Otherwise Zermatt is fabulous, very beautiful and full of the 'beautiful people'!!!!!! snowHead
ski holidays
Kramer, if you decide to check out the North Wall, this is where to find it. (it's tucked away up a quiet street, on the opposite side of the river to most of Zermatt's attractions).
Click on the link next to that map for info. on Chris Patient, who runs the place and is an ace bloke.

Also check out the bars in the Hotel Post, and see a movie at the Vernissage cinema - unique.
snow conditions
Thanks for the recommendations guys.
latest report
Hi

First post - so here goes:
Drawbacks - the train transfer from Tasch, but first time its a piece of victoriana - from a time when brits were developing skiing , in daylight/ moon light its a stunning 1/2 hour.
The 3 main ski base stations are spread out so either walk or share a cab - a lot of cab sharing goes on - it social and you don't know which millionaire you may be sharing with Shocked
Positives:
Excellent skiing through an area that doen't seem to get too crowded ( a few minor queue points ) . Skii the trifjti bumps a lot ! Worth the pain.
The only other place with a mountainous setting like it is Chamonix - it is visually stunning. The Matterhorn and Ama Dablam vie for the title of th emost beautiful mountain in the world.
Stop for lunch : Food is done on the hill here like no where else. Toni's Grotte at riffelalp is v good, and there is a small place just below the Furgg cable car station that does great mountain food . Service in both is freindly and with a smile. Don't bother if its costing you, enjoy the atmosphere. [Edit] forgot the restaurant at fluhalp is very good too , but very busy, well worth booking or squeezing in for late lunch. If sunny and with live music on terrace well worth a stop for vin chaud before last run of the day Madeye-Smiley [Edit]
Finally go heli skiing - did monte rosa last year see here ,take a lot of pictures. this is big alpine mountains as they should be seen/skied.

Regards

Steve

Last edited by You need to Login to know who's really who. on Thu 3-02-05 16:35; edited 3 times in total
snow report
What a good report, thanks Steve.
snow conditions
stevepick, welcome to snowHeads, good opening.
snow report
stevepick, welcome to snowHeads.

Thanks for the reports, getting really excited now. Will see if the bank balance can stand up to heli-skiing.
snow report
 brian
brian
A few pics from last week:

Here comes the sun.
View from our balcony
Top of the White Hare, looking towards Findeln.
Panorama through the trees to the Weisshorn.
Panorama, Matterhorn round to Rothorn.
Me and the Matterhorn await a beer at the Suntrap on the run home.
snow conditions
Fabulous pics Brian, thank you.

Promised my partner of 10 years that if she married me I'd take her to Zermatt. Well we were married in september so we leave in 3 weeks and I carn't wait. Neither can she !

It is just about my favourite place in the world. Haven't been for nearly 15 yrs so I hope it hasn't changed too much. Guess the Matterhorn is still there so probably not. Little Angel

Last time, I climbed the Brigthorn and skiied round the back below Pollux and onto a tributary of the Monte Rosa Glacier. Best days skiing/mountaineering of my life.

Just hope I don't miss out on any 'home' skiing in the Lake District or North Pennines while I'm away. Laughing
snow report
brian,

Wonderful pictures! Lovely to see them. I'm sure I know where you are awaiting a beer on the run home! Nice little bar that one.

To all those going have a great time!
Normally we would be off there this weekend but this year we have our baby boy who is just 8 weeks so we are postponing! Hopefully we'll get there or somewhere before the end of the season!
snow report
sarah, show us a picture of the little one...

We have an 8 week old too...photos here. And some Zermatt photos too back from our other life, pre-baby.

http://cacavas.com

John Cacavas
Los Angeles.
snow report
Here are a couple of action photos from Zermatt (Feb 05):
Natural kicker, background Matterhorn, flying...what could be better?

(Almost) sticking the landing
snow report
Cedric, were you out there the same time as me?
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Kramer,

Never mind the skiing Smile where did you go for lunch ?? Toofy Grin
latest report
Kramer, I think you got there on Sunday 6 Feb and we were there Fri - Sun...noticed your post but I thought we would ski in Cervinia on Sunday...turned out to cross the whole of Zermatt and experience bumps, tree skiing, carving, powder AND that jump.

Did you enjoy it?
ski holidays
We're not all that technical, but my husband thinks he knows how to post a pic !

ski holidays
JohnnyC,

My husband just posted the above whilst I was away...

It's Matthew born 10th December 8lbs 1oz...just one day after your little one!

Thanks for all the info on the swiss fly/rail topic, the Zermatt transfer with luggage and baby too just wouldn't be possible!

We are undecided about whether to go to Zermatt as usual and try out Kinderparadies nursery for a few 1/2 days or to go somewhere like Val d'Isere with a tour operator who provides inclusive childcare.

Apologies to others for the topic becoming Zermatt & babies!! Laughing
latest report
stevepick,

Monday - Chez Veroni, Beef Carpaccio (best view in the alps).

Tuesday - Blatau, Crayfish risotto with truffles, Vanilla icecream with spiced berries.

Wednesday - Chalet Etoile (Cervinia), Osso Bucco (slightly disappointing).

Thursday - Zum See, Fillet of beef in peppercorn sauce (good but expensive). Le Mazot for dinner, Asparagus, smoked salmon and prawn salad, Lamb special on two plates, Selection of local cheeses (absolutely beautiful cooking).

Friday - Toni's at Rifflealp, Homemade Lasagne, Chocolate torte (excellent)

Saturday - Fluhalp, Veal sausage with rosti and onion sauce (excellent).

The crayfish risotto with truffles at Blatau was my favourite dish of all, it was absolutely outstanding. That restaurant was my favourite as well, the owner couldn't do enough to make us happy.

It's true what they say about Zermatt, I've never been somewhere where the on-mountain dining was so good, not even Lech comes close. Consequently as a result of the full english breakfast, and the lunches and the four course dinners every night, I've probably put on another two stone!

Last edited by Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see? on Thu 17-02-05 10:21; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
Cedric, I thought that it was great. A really good ski resort, the only problem being the lack of an on mountain route from the Klein Matterhorn back to Gormengrat. I will definitely be going back there again.
latest report
Kramer,
For next time...

You CAN get from Klein Matterhorn side back to Gornergrat without going down!!
It's not well known and it's not that convenient but it is much better than going all the way down and through the town.

You have to come down from Klein Matterhorn side as far as Furi main lift station where you can either go around the outside or come through the station and go down in the elevator, to come out the side of the lift station then take the track past Simi restaurant on your left (fantastic place you missed that one!!) It's fairly flattish and it's probably slightly uphill for part of the way, until you meet the road to Findelbach marked as a red line on the piste map. You then ski down the road to Findelbach station and get on the Gornergrat train from there..
If unsure ask any local they use it and are usually happy to point you the right way!
ski holidays
sarah, thanks for the heads up. I'll have to remember the Simi restaurant for next time. That's another problem with Zermatt, in only one weeks visit there are not enough days in the week to eat at all the great restaurants.
snow conditions
Kramer - thanks for the menus - needed to get a biscuit just to survive reading them!
Did you actually SKI at all??? When we first started skiing - we just skied all day till the lifts shut - having nothing but a mars bar for luch coz we didnt want to miss a second skiing - but as the trips have progressed - we have started to be seduced by the mid morning la mumba - lunch somewhere nice - and vin chaud.....
Went to Zermatt before the rot set in - really need to go back SOON... the crayfish sounds amazing - will file that recommendation!
Its such a dilemma isnt it - skiing versus eating. xx
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy