Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

need help choosing resort for 21st march

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Okay, here's the situation. We just got back from Cervinia and absolutly loved it, now we wanna go again for a cheap last minute trip before the season ends. But where should we go?

We're both lower intermediates, happy to cruise on blues and easy reds (like cervinia). I've had a look on the net. The common ones that keep popping up are as follows

Pas de la casa (Andorra)
El Tarter (Andorra)
Macugnaga ( never heard of this place before?)
St Johann
Les Deux Alpes
Ellmau
Sauze D`Oulx
St Wolfgang
Kitzbuhel
Soll

So basically you can see why i need help, there's too much choice. Our priorities are good skiing, good snow and if possible somewhere that is not over priced (hate having to get a motgage for a pint of beer) plus something to do in the evening would be nice. We found Cervinia was a bit quiet in the evenings. Any help is very much appreciated as i need to book something soon!

Thanks peeps
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Mac-Daddy, none of these, go to La Plagne instead. Stay in Belle Plagne if you can. (Surprised you found Cervinia quiet at night.) If you want all night booze-and-music go to Le Ceyenne for Margaritas and Mexican food, then The Saloon Bar for drinking to dawn (good music and dance floor).
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Thanks Jonpim, but i was kinda trying to avoid france, as i'm really looking for a cheapie. All the ones i listed are available for under £250 Half board 3* per person. La Plagne is nearly double that, is it really woth double the price? are all the resorts i mentioned no good? I went to Andorra last year (Arinsal) and thouroughly enjoyed it, though i expect i'd find the skiing there very limited now since i have improved. I guess i'm just being a big cheap skate Very Happy
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Nothing wrong with big-cheap-skate (more to spend on essentials such as beer and pizza). Friends went to St Johann at half-term. Mum thought it OK, 2 teenage lads thought it way too small and boring. Ex-wife went to Sauze D'Oulx many years ago. Then was Benidorm-on-Alps. Very lively, but cheap. She and student friends had a great time. Recently tried to move upmarket. No knowledge of how this is working. Nearly went to Les AlpsDeux once (cancelled coz of illness): I understand it is actually Une-Alpe-et-demi. (or is it un alpe?)
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
St Wolfgang, Macunaga & St Johann are all very small - haven't been to them but they always seem too little to bother for a whole week.

Ellmau/Soll are part of the Ski Welt - a great area for intermediates, nothing scary (there's only one black) and you can get a real sense of travelling round, had a great time there in March a couple of years ago.

El Tartar is part of Soldeu, which is a great skiing area and linked to Pas de la Casa now so you can ski the whole area - if you enjoyed Arinsal you'd love Soldeu as it's much the better area.

Sauze is also a great area for intermediates - but beware the bargain places can be well away from the lifts down a damn great hill and you can't get on the buses for love nor money in the morning rush!

Don't go to Les Deux Alpes if you not up for France, it's really not all it's cracked up to be the skiing's o.k. but can get really crowded if snow conditions mean the lower ridge is closed - a real possibility later in the season.

Never been to Kitzbuhl so I can't comment but I've heard it's pretty good.

Hope that helps
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Pas is wild- be prepared- but theres a huge ski area now its joined with Soldeu

Arinsal is fine your level of skiing because you can just hop over to pal where theres a lot more reds

It is veeeerryy cheap- try First choice- Full price self catering is about £250
the lift pass is cheap, shopping is good- and the snows good x
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Come to Soldeu. Me & my 7 girl buddies will be there then so we'll look after you!!

Get a quote from First choice then head to Iglu. They'll do their best to beat it
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
thanks for all your advice peeps, very much appreciated. I think i'm leaning towards Soldue at the moment, especially as Arinsal was so great last year, when we had perfect accomadation, good food and cheap beer Wink If i can't get into soldue i may even try Arinsal again, as we didn't get to see very much of PAL. Guess the only downer about andorra is the transfer from Toulose, but it's a small price to pay. Can anyone recommend / steer me away from any particular hotels in Soldue, we'll be going half board. Thanks again everyone, you've all been very helpful.
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
We stayed in the Euro Ski Hotel in January. Half way between Soldeu & El Tarter. Lovely hotel & facilities, with it's own mini-bus (x2) that run continuously to the El Tarter lifts during the day. The only reason that we would not return again to this hotel, is because of the bar prices. Being halfway between the two villages it has a captive audience. E5 for a spirit & mixer…. I’d return to the villages with glee – but it would have to be a cheap deal for this hotel! Confused
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Hello The Mac Daddy

This is my first time - which I sppose makes me a SH virgin, but I'm with Jonpim with La Plagne and Belle Plagne - we went for Crimbo last minute (all in with wine and ensuite jacuzzis, etc for £350). The ski-ing is nice and easy with wide pistes and lovely little tree-lined runs and the off-piste is fab - even the blacks and I really don't like blacks that much! We also used the new gondola to go over to Les Arcs - great ski-ing there for intermediates.

ps - does anyone know why I can't use the smilies?
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
E5 is the norm for Andorra I think - was the same in most places in Pas anyway, but the measures are at least doubles if not triples compared to uk measures, so not actually that expensive in the long run. Cool
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
I've found a cheapie for Soldeu, in hotel Austria? 3 star, half board. Anyone been here? is it any good?

TIA
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
I stayed at the Austria appts across the road. Its up the hill from the main station so you'll be on the ski bus every day (free). There's a nice little pub called the snail & quail just by you. Appt rooms were clean & comfy. Didn't like their breakfast much tho so not sure what the rest of the food is like. There's a nice pizza place nearby if you get stuck.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Cheers eeyore, but i just read that this hotel is 2km away from the village and the ski lifts etc so i think i'll be looking for something a little closer.
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
I got a great deal on lastminute.com for Courchevel 1650. Sorry to add further complications Laughing
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy