Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

The dreaded single supplement...

Poster: A snowHead
I've just finished booking my skiing holiday next week. There are two of us going, but there is a slight problem, I snore like a rhinocerous, and my friend is quite a light sleeper, therefore I need a room to myself, my friend is willing to share. We wanted to go to the 3vs (see other thread) and stay with Mark Warner, but they have an unusual policy when it comes to the single supplement on their late availablility deals. Basically the single supplement for a Mark Warner holiday is £200 off the price of the second holiday. This means that if you are booking a late availability deal, and the discount if greater than £200, you have to pay the full (discounted) price twice to get a double room. So to stay in the Tarentaise in Meribel, it was going to cost £1138 for one week, as a late availability deal! When I rang up to question this policy I was told that they had to charge that much because single people stopped them from filling the hotel to capacity.

I don't mind paying a reasonable single supplement for the privilege of not having to share, but I don't see why it should be so high with Mark Warner (effectively £569) especially when with Scott Dunn it's only £350. With Skiworld it's only £100 this week.

So we've decided that if it's going to cost a fortune then we might as well have some luxury, so we're going to Zermatt with Scott Dunn, each with single occupancy.
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Kramer, like you I don't mind paying something reasonable but for late availabilities these figures are ridiculous. I got fed up with T.O. ripoffs and have recently done my 1st independent trip (and mid week travel to boot). The French hotel in Plan Peisey charged 20 Euros p.n. single supplement which, if you think of it as the price of 3 beers, ain't too bad. Since the basic H/B rate was only 58 Euros p.n. I was pretty happy with the deal.
Enjoy your trip snowHead
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
kuwait_ian, I do independant trips in the summer, but have stuck with package tours in the winter for some reason, probably convenience. Up to this week I've not had a problem with it, usually because if I've actually been going on my own, and so have been able to wait until the very last minute, say that I'm a smoker, and then offer to room-share - you hardly ever get taken up on the offer, but still manage to avoid the single supplement. The problem this time is that there are two of us going, and under no circumstances is my friend prepared to share with me!

It's not that I can't afford it, it's just that I refuse to pay it when it's such a rip-off. I even rang my girlfriend to see if she could get next week off work, because I thought that if I was going to end up paying for two holidays then two people might as well enjoy it, but no luck.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Kramer, I'd share with you (have ear plugs, will travel), but I've already paid for a holiday the same week in St Gervais. And it's a bit far to go every morning from the 3V to the lift in St G.....

TO's are shite for single sups tho, aren't they! Seeing as there's bvgger all chance they'll be able to flog it to anyone else at this late date, it's a rip-off that they're asking you to pay for the fact that they can't fill the room. They should be paying you!
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Manda, much as I would love to go on a skiing holiday with you, I suspect that my girlfriend would exercise the executive veto. Crying or Very sad
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Reminded me of funny situation last year - where I met my skiing companion for the first time at 4am in the morning before driving down to Gatwick together. We had been assured that it was a twin not double room - but then when we arrived at the chalet - yes it was technically a twin but the beds were very close together!!! I don't think he ever did tell his girlfriend how small the room was!! Fortunately we did get on, and although i was worried about the likelihood of him snoring - it turned out I was the rowdy one and didn't stop talking in my sleep!
(p.s. not as random as it sounds - we had mutual friends in the same resort even though we didn't know each other. couldn't get a holiday with the same company as them, but we did get a very good deal with a different one to the same resort - just flying out a day earlier!)
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Kramer,
Have a look at :

http://www.solosholidays.co.uk/

caters for the single traveller so you don't get stung for SS

Rich
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
On a non-TO trip to les Carroz last w/e, the singles paid Euro 38 a night, the doubles Euro 29.50 (both without brekkie), a supplement of roughly £6.50, not too bad.
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Quote:
Kramer, Have a look at : http://www.solosholidays.co.uk/
£599!!!! for POLAND?????? In the middle of March? And that's for a late special. Normally £660 and upwards.
You've got to be joking? Shocked
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Manda, I just looked at it as well - £1299 for Whistler at the end of March, OR £300 discount if you share a room...
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Type23, I've had a look at them before, basically they quote you a price with a single supplement and then reduce it if you offer to share. To be honest the price for their more expensive ones are not much cheaper than I'm paying to go with Scott Dunn.

richmond, I think that your idea may be the way to go.
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Kramer, no way are they as cheap as they should be!
Grindelwald 5/03/05 - £815 £80 supplement for Twin Room for sole occupancy
Going: 12/03/05 - £969 Reduction £130 for Sharing Twin Room
That's a lot to pay for company Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
I have no intimate experience of the rhinocerous snoring, but has your friend tried earplugs which only cost a few pence?
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
£1.29 for a set of 3 at Boots. Probly cheaper at Superdrug.
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
snowball, he had such a bad time last time, that he's not willing to risk it again. He used to go to bed with a stash of empty evian bottles to throw at me during the night.

I've also started to use anti-snoring strips as well, which help somewhat, but he's not for turning.
ski holidays
Kramer wrote:
richmond, I think that your idea may be the way to go.

In that case, I commend 'La Chaumiere' in les Carroz to your attention.
snow report
Well you guys
I've stayed at this Hotel and it's excellent, built for the aristocrats from the Hapsburg Empire who went to Bad Gastein for the Spa treatments.
Just get a flight to Saltsburg and a tranfer to Bad Gastein (car 1 ½ hours or the train to the center of town) and you get to stay in this place with NO SINGLE SUPPLEMENTS.
Villa Excelsior
The owner Christof really nice guy and very helpful.
Bad Gastein has some great skiing and not expensive.
You dont even get charged to have a pee!!!!!!!!!!!
ski holidays
I can't help thinking if you owned or ran a hotel you might look at the supplements differently. Rooms that aren't fully occupied are a direct loss for the hotelier. Any single supplement less than 90% of the room cost looks reasonable when you think about at busy times.

You'd not expect a discount for an apartment if you were the only person in it would you?
snow conditions
ise,
Quite agree with that, although the hotel I mention above has single rooms, a legacy from when it was used as a spa/health resort I think.
latest report
Manda needs 3 earplugs? Now that could explain a few things..... Shocked Laughing
snow report
Slowplough, I've used quite a few hotels/pensions in Austria over the years I lived in Germany and actually rarely paid a single supplement at weekends, maybe never actually. These would be places with single rooms and/or places who specifically wanted custom like mine, i.e. repeat weekend business over some years. I'd not have expected to be able to do that in major stations at peak time though.
ski holidays
ise, but the cost of the room is only part of the total package cost. I'm not complaining against a reasonable single supplement, I just feel that the amount that Mark Warner are charging is ridiculous.
ski holidays
Alan Craggs, I've only got 2 ears - can't imagine where the 3rd plug would go. Shocked Razz You'd think that, wot with English being my first language, I'd be able to write it correctly. Must be a fault with my keyboard....... wink
snow report
Kramer, is it so odd? Clearly you've got a way better deal and that's the one anyone would take. But aren't Mark Warner just saying they're pricing their travel at 200 quid? This may be telling you something about the underlying holiday price as much as anything.
ski holidays
ise, if that's the case how come other companies can afford to charge less for a single supplement? I rang Mark Warner today, and they're not completely sold out for this weekend, surely filling a few rooms with singles is better than not filling them at all?
latest report
Kramer, search me, I'm just saying when you start to look at the figures you can see where they're coming from. You're comparing two different things.

On the one hand you're quoting a single supplement which seems to be an absolute value and another that seems to be a function of the of the holiday price. They're only comparable because they're both coming out of your wallet....which is good enough of course. Financially, I see the logic for the supplier to use a deduction like that. Sounds like Mark Warner are overcharging to start with to me Very Happy
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy