Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Solden or Obergurgl?

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Anyone been to these resorts? Any good points or bad points you can let me now about? Trying to choose between the two, with particular reference to beginners and 2nd week skiers.
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obergurgl is small village very nice, great skiing and reliable snow
Solden is bigger town for more to do off the slopes
You can get a multi day ticket that allows some skiing at each.

Skiing for all levels is great at both.
If you bring kids there is more to do in Solden after skiing
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Depends what you after.
As said before Solden is a much bigger town (and not very pretty IMV) with pretty extensive skiing. If the 2 weekers are on the timid side they may struggle
Obergurgl a lot smaller but very pretty. Skiing much more limited but probably better for beginners and 2 weekers and very good skiing for the 2 weekers at Hochgurgl.
It is possible the get a bus or even a cab and travel between the two if the better skiers want to shoot off to Solden.
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Obergurgl is a big playground ground which can host less experieced skiers quite well. People can ski the in between stuff and never be too far from anyone bimbling around on blues and reds.
I wouldn't call it an off-piste resort as such unless you get skins on... but I think it can handle mixed groups.
As with all things the beginners will need a degree of pluck about them..but that can apply anywhere. It is the nervous starters themselves rather than the resorts, anyway, IMV...

Apre starts just off the slopes and then goes really quiet later on.

What I saw of Solden on the drivethru, wouldn't make me research it too hard...but willing to be convinced..
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
rob@rar, dont beleive the Solden hype, the slopes are not difficult at all. the slopes are all a colour under the french resorts (Reds are blues etc). the lift pass is really expensive for what you actually get. yes there are loads of fast lifts and often 3 for the same two runs and are often well overcrouded. The runs bak to the bottom are always crammed 2pm onwards, awful condition and very dangerous.

The "apres" is eurotrash and cram packed in the lively bars and extremely smokey.

As you will see, i'm not a great fan of Solden. OG was prettier, but not a lot of skiing really.

Stick top france Very Happy
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Do both. What stopping you? The two are only 15 km apart.

Never ski them myself but did a reconnaissance trip when changing camp from Zillertal to Silvretta Valley. Obergurgl base station is 2000m+ so the snow has to be good.

Plan to there next season but may choose Schladming now as it is easier to change to Contina Ampezzo for the second week.
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
I had my first week's skiing in Obergurgl, eight years ago and really enjoyed it, both during the day and into the evening. The main nursery slopes are in the centre of the village but a short walk away from the main Rosskar lift area. I remember having a day and a bit down there before progressing onto the other nursery area down near the Festkogl gondola. This involves a very short, one or two stop bus ride from the village centre. I enjoyed learning to ski there as there are hardly ever any lift queues, even at peak holiday times and any bus journeys between lifts are very short. The ski school is very good and our instructor had us up on the main slopes by the middle of the week; the whole group seemed to have a great time. A second weeker should have no problem on the main blues around both Obergurgl and Hochgurgl. Obviously, I like Obergurgl and have been back loads of times since, most recently, for two weeks before Easter this year. As JT mentions, it's not really a big off-piste place but with a guide and if the conditions are right, it can be. Konigstal can be skied directly from the top of the Wurmkogl lift and Ferwalltal from the top of the Plattach lift. I know a guy who works there over the season (bar manager) and he took me down through Ferwalltal and it was amazing; a big dump of overnight snow and fresh tracks all the way down to the bottom and noone else around Very Happy
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy