Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Booster Strap - Yes or No?

Poster: A snowHead
I've just got a new shiney pair of boots. Balanced, zipfitted, only subjected to carpetwear so far; but I can't stop tinkering.

They're by Head and had some spanky extendable arms on the top two buckles to help the infirm shut the boot. But they seemed a bit of a faff and got in the way a bit; so a junior hacksaw did for them.

The new World Cup Zipfits give a firm hold, but space is at a premium within the boot; so laces and velcro ties have come off to help me close them without stuff getting trapped between the shell halves. I'll probably put them back in once things have settled down a bit within the bot.

Now I'm pondering whether to swop my old booster straps onto the boots; and this is before I even get to ski them.

I'm thinking, yeah get it done. But another part say I should give 'em a spin as they are. However, you can never tell how things work until they've had "mountain time" as opposed to "fridge time" so I don't know whether I can be arsed to wait. Confused

Ho hum, how long before the season starts again Sad
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
yes,
I've not used the booster with zipfits (yet). But find them really good on the stock liner in my current boot. I fasten them round the liner and got CEM to cut away the top of the cuff to make this easier to do.
The boots are much livelier and the liner feels much more snug on the shin than before than before. What I like best about them is that the boot responds immediately when flexed and rebounds when unflexed. Of course its a piece of urine to tighten or loosen them on the fly.
You probably know all that and just need some one to say Mosha Marc, get the finger out, put your booster straps on and be happy your gonna put them on anyway Little Angel
Just under 5 months till season starts Shocked
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Mosha Marc, having taken the velcro off the zipfit i would think the booster is a good idea....i would use it even with the velcro on the liner as both straps perform different functions to an extent

the inner one (liner power strap) wraps the liner close to the leg, the main power strap holds the liner and your leg to the back of the shell, it is this combination which prevents the "seat belt" effect when flexing the boot and gives a much smoother rebound
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Mosha Marc, Shove them on...Zipfits + Booster = much happiness snowHead
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Mosha Marc wrote:
They're by Head and had some spanky extendable arms on the top two buckles to help the infirm shut the boot. But they seemed a bit of a faff and got in the way a bit; so a junior hacksaw did for them.

Brave man, I've had Head for a few years and use the extendable arm a fair bit, are you sure your boots aren't too big Wink Laughing Twisted Evil
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Mosha Marc,

YES.

If there is any fresh snow at all your first trip, you're going to want them.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
I actually put Boosters on my new boots, found them annoying and took them off again - this could be because Nordia licensed the Booster technology and run their own version. I don't like putting the strap under shell (it's an back bottom, the 3 strap under feels unnatural), and the wider thickness of the stock strap felt like it was more effective with more surface area (again, also having rebound elasticitiy probably helped).

I'd probably attribute this to having really tight shellfit and foamed liners tho, on top of a stiff boot.

Sorry, to clarify, I had them on my old boots first and quite liked them - they were a shell size too big and only flex100 tho.

Last edited by Then you can post your own questions or snow reports... on Thu 2-07-09 14:15; edited 1 time in total
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Sod it, I'll stick 'em on toneet. Then we just need a few snowHead stickers on 'em and I've cracked it.

..oh, and try to thread that bloomin zipfit strap back in too. Embarassed

kitenski, oi! I'll send CEM up your way. And, as I said above, I'm sure they do help the more elderly skiier. Twisted Evil wink
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Mosha Marc, You may also find that the liner takes up less space in the shell if you put back the laces.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
DaveC, I found it also to be a back bottom under the shell, but with the top of the shell cut away it fits nicely round the liner. Does the nordica system go around the liner or the shell?
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
RPF wrote:
DaveC, I found it also to be a back bottom under the shell, but with the top of the shell cut away it fits nicely round the liner. Does the nordica system go around the liner or the shell?

It routes like a regular power strap in front, so your choice really: the elastic bit is in the back in a sort of Y configuration.
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Agree - I have leather wc zip fits. Ditched the laces and the velcro - there isn't room for them and added the booster. Just the job.
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Mosha Marc wrote:
....They're by Head and had some spanky extendable arms on the top two buckles to help the infirm shut the boot. ...

they're for folk with fat calves who can't shut the boot - trust me rolling eyes
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Sorry to ressurect a thread from a while back, but I wanted to aim a few questions at Mosha Marc, RPF, CEM, and others who know what's what regarding Booster Straps

Before last season I had a pair of HEAD Raptors fitted by our resident boot fitting wizard in Bicester. I skied them for almost 50 days and are very happy with them, although they are still snug......black big toe nails => check, shells ground out in certain places to allow for even minor imperfections in feet => check, boots are a pain in the butt to get on unless thoroughly warmed before hand => check.....you guys know the score Very Happy rolling eyes

I'm toying with the thought of putting some Booster Straps on them and just wanted to get peoples' thoughts about the difference they make

I'm a reasonably agressive skier, but only a little guy (72kg). I've taken out one of the screws in the back of my Raptors to reduce the flex from 110 to 105 and this has made a difference. I'm a bit of a fussy git and really like a nice firm connection between my footwear, be it a ski boot, trainer, etc and my foot/lower leg. The standard liners in my Raptors have not compressed so much so I can get the clips done up nice and snug, but there is naturally a small gap at the back of my leg when the boots are flexed.

I'm thinking that Booster Straps will help me in terms of getting a really firm connection between my leg and boots and that my skiing will also benefit from the flex and return that the straps offer, by really using this force to the maximum.

What are people's thoughts? Is it worthwhile throwing £30 CEM's way for the intermediate straps (don't answer that Colin!). How much faffing around is there to fit them? - have heard that there's a bit of cutting of the shell needs to get everything to sit well.
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
no need to cut the shell, some just like to understrap the booster rather than have it on the shell as well, fitting them is a doddle burn two holes throught eh booster to match the screwed on plate which currently holds the powerstrap on and swap
snow report
Sleipnir, The straps are well worth it. I have them on my Alpine and Tele boots - and would not want to go back. snowHead
latest report
CEM, on Andi's advice and with your permission, I took the laces out of my ZipFits, which certainly makes my boots easier to put on. However, the ZipFit velcro is very difficult to tighten, because it gets into an irrevocable muddle with the shell halves and it is also difficult to unravel the boot's own velcro strap from that muddle and tighten it properly. Obviously I don't need performance perfection or anything, but would you recommend either or both of removing the ZipFit velcro and installing a booster? If so, I'll try and make an appointment with you, if that's OK. Or maybe I should do that anyway, so that you can see the current strap muddle for yourself?
snow report
Sleipnir, I did put the booster straps on in the end, and have had over twenty days on the snow with them. They do make the fitting more snug, and also firm the boot up a little. I'm pretty sure I'd put them on any future boots too; so it's a Yes from me.

Fitting is really easy - in fact I posted a "How tis done" guide on here a while ago. I'll go see if I can find it.

Edit; here it is, in relation to old style Salomon boots;

Quote:
abj, ........and you win a prize!!

Salomon very kindly have placed a rear spoiler adjuster bolt at just the right height on your boots to double up as a booster strap retainer.

1. Drill out the rivets holding in you're old strap. In fact you don't have to drill em out properly. As you drill them they get hot, weaken the plastic around them and pop out.

2. Line up the booster strap where you want it to go. Easiest way; put on boots and put on the strap. Mark the strap where it lines up with the spoiler bolt.

3. Impress Mrs and entertain family by heating a girt big nail on the hob. 6" are good - as are pliers or grippers unless you don't believe in heat conduction in metals.

4. Push the nail through the strap in spot marked earlier.

The real issue now is; do you have the strap under or over the shell..............
latest report
Cheers for the responses to my questions chaps - much appreciated

So, the general feeling is that Booster Straps are a good investment, they do seem to make a difference and they are pretty simple to fit........making holes with a red hot 6" nail sounds like fun in anyone's book, but I'll probably wimp out and use a soldering iron wink

Sorry, but I have another question - but which one to buy?

I have read on the official Booster Strap site that it is better to start off with a softer strap rather than leap in with the Bode version. They said that you are more likely to feel the difference and the effect the strap is having. Also I'm not going to be racing or anything that extreme. As I think I menioned, I'm about 72kg and about 1.70m (5ft 7") tall so I'm thinking that this puts me in the realm Booster Soft strap.....anyone suggest otherwise, or is this the one I need to get from CEM?
ski holidays
Mosha Marc, and excellent instructions they were too!

Can't remember whether I said thanks at the time ... so, thanks! The Booster straps are still attached and doing the well!
snow conditions
PS: I went for strap over the shell Very Happy
latest report
abj, Cool
snow report
Hi, I noticed no-one replied to Sleipnir. I'm also interested in getting some Booster Straps but unsure of whether I should get the Intermmediate/Advanced (soft?) or the Expert (Medium?). The wording on http://wwwboosterstrap.eu/english/booster.asp# does not seem to match the wording on CEM's website: http://www.solutions4feet.co.uk/catalogue_main.php?catID=1065 but I guess the mapping I have eluded to is correct. CEM, could you confirm this ?

Anyway I'm 79Kg, good intermmediate skier and fairly aggressive. Do I get the Intermmediate/Advanced or the Expert ones ?

I'm assuming I get Expert, considering the real "expert" version seems to be the World Cup Booster Straps.

Thanks
snow conditions
You can always cut a layer of webbing out of the stiffest one and end up with the advanced etc, so there's no real reason to get anything but the stiffest unless you're certain you don't want it.
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy