Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Skiwear question from a newbie

Poster: A snowHead
hi there,

My first post although I have lurked a bit for a couple of years Smile I've very much a novice skier but decided now might be a good time to get my own gear as I've been borrowing a friend's. I tend to ski around March time in Austria and depending on the weather I either get far too hot or get Raynaud's in my hands, so I think I need a jacket with detachable fleece/inner layer and vents. I only ski one or two weeks a year so don't want to spend much, I have tried on and liked Columbia, Dare2be and some of the slightly more expensive stuff like Helly Hansen. I will probably get a cheap pair of pants as I keep warm with base layers. I fall over a lot Very Happy

The stuff I've been borrowing from a friend is fairly old columbia but I like the functionality of it all (pockets, clips for things and vents and the snow skirt), but would prefer a jacket that is cut more snugly and looks a bit more feminine. Budget is about £100, any suggestions for good online/instore savings at all or recommendations will be gratefully received!
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
NSB1977, Welcome to snowheads
Your best bet is to go to the ski show in October you won't get a better choice of kit any where and some at discount prices Toofy Grin
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
NSB1977, Welcome indeed.....get yourself down to TK Maxx for some lucky dip bargain hunting, or given that you are a fellow midlander, maybe Go Outdoors. Other discount retail stores are available, and probably just as good.....
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Hi, thanks for the welcome Cool

I thought about TK Maxx but have had zero luck in the past - I may well get the pants from there but the jackets have never been much cop - but still worth another look eh. Is Go outdoors the place in Tamworth on the industrial estate?

I like the Ski show idea too, thanks. Everything seems a bit expensive but it;s a good excuse to go depending on when it is!

Any particular recommendations for brands? Little Angel
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
NSB1977, Dunno about Tamworth, but there is one in Coventry and one in Wolverhampton definately....as I say, other discount retail stores may be available. You can also find some decent enough offers on the t'interweb - kitting yourself out for £100 should not be a problem....
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
You have to be tenacious with TK Maxx. Go at least once a week once the winter stock arrives. Anything decent goes pretty quickly, and it can seem like there's nack all worth buying. If you catch the right moment though you'll bag something great for £stupid.
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
NSB1977, Also check out the sticky thread wink
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
NSB1977, welcome, another vote for tk Maxx. my thinking would be to get a lightish jacket and layer under it. Usually this means a thermal top (and leggings in colder weather) and a thin fleece under the jacket. If its too warm get the fleece off. TKMaxx is usually good for base layers and thin fleeces too. Dont wait till your sweating like Gary Glitter in a Barney suit to remove layers as sweat will get cold and uncomfortable in fact it is probably best to go out with only minimal layers on and add more if your cold.
Arm pit vents are a good thing as March can be very warm.
The other thing with base layers they wick the sweat away from you so you dont feel sweaty this gives breathable jackets a chance to breathe. Shop around online you can pay way over the odds for these items but can get good prices too. outdoormania.co.uk and bargainboards.co.uk (if I remember correctly thats were I got some of this type of thing).

Does Raynauds come about from heat or cold? If cold you can get thermal liners for your gloves. Good gloves are a must as your hands will get wet and cold otherwise. Even in the best breathable ones I find I still get a bit sweaty so popping on the glove liners after lunch makes them feel like new.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
RPF wrote:
sweating like Gary Glitter in a Barney suit.

Hahahahaha, that's a belter.
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Thanks folks. I've got good quality base layers and some ridiculously expensive gloves and silk liners which didn't even touch the raynauds the first time I went (restriction of blood vessels when you get cold, which for me is just walking around tesco freezer section rolling eyes ). So I invested in an even more ridiculously expensive pair of mountaineering mitts which luckily I didn't need last time I went as I went to Zell/Kaprun in early April and it was 20 degrees C! As well as wrist warmers etc. Although I usually have good base layers and socks etc apparently the key is core body warmth hence me needing a decent jacket.

Sounds like TK Maxx is worth bothering with again then, hopefully they'll get some good stuff in at some point - unforch I don't get the time to shop more than once in a blue moon but I have plenty of time I guess - hoping to pick up a bargain at this time of year.

Thanks for your replies.
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
NSB1977, Very true a warm core and the body wont cut off circulation to the extremities in an effort to keep the vital organs warm.
You can get hand warmers that will fit into your gloves too. Ive never used them but see how they could be good on particularly cold days and they are not very expensive.
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
RPF wrote:
NSB1977, Very true a warm core and the body wont cut off circulation to the extremities in an effort to keep the vital organs warm.
You can get hand warmers that will fit into your gloves too. Ive never used them but see how they could be good on particularly cold days and they are not very expensive.

Those "teabag" hand warmers are brilliant imo.
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
NSB1977, It's worth bchecking out https://www.tchibo.co.uk one a week, about twice a year the sell skiwear very cheaply but it sells out fast. usually includes thermo regulating jackets, trousers, themals etc
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Thanks for the tips. I've got lots of handwarmers, they fit into the mitts nicely so hopefully that combination will help. I don't honestly think anyone who doesn't suffer can appreciate how miserable and painful it is compared to "normal" people getting cold! I've tried everything. I do get it badly though. Falling over every 2 minutes and standing still don't help LOL I really don't want it to ruin my experience of skiing and I'd like to go to Whistler or somewhere colder than Austria in spring!

Thanks for that link, sounds great, I'll check it out Happy
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
That linky doesn't work Anarchic...
ski holidays
Another vote for TKMaxx I'm afraid - providing you're not an unusual size you can get some good gear for a very reasonable price - helps if you can pop in quite regularly.
ski holidays
NSB1977, try this one instead, no snow gear at present. When they have it its all prety good though own baranded. TKMaxx as everyone says is good for branded kit . www.tchibo.eu

Last edited by Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person on Thu 2-07-09 18:23; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
TK Maxx is superb if you are a bit of a skiwear anorak, which I happily confess to being. If you nip in on a regular basis and know what you're buying, there are some stonking deals. ie. Dainese thermal jacket for the Missus @ £40,RRP £149. £300 Orage Snowboard jacket for £59. wink
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy