Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Instructor Training? Really need your advice thanks!

Poster: A snowHead
Hello, I have just found out about the free instructor training at my nearest John Nike slope (Llandudno). It would need me to go up there once a week for 13 weeks, it is about 50miles away from my house.Puzzled

The reason it is free is that when you pass, they want you to teach a mimumum of 4 lessons a month. It is only recognisd within the other 6 John Nike slopes so i doubt it would meen much abroad.
Apparently it is a good base for people who do go on to take there BASI qualifications.
ANY thoughts or advice would be greatly appreciated, and id love to hear from someone who has done it/knows someone who has done it.snowHead

Thanks Puzzled snowHead
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
no experience with JNL but it seems like a you do the training which they cover the cost of in return for you working for them and making them a load of money in the process...do you get paid for these teaching hours when you do them???....it may be better to pay for a training course somewhere that is linked to BASI then you have no ties or comittments to a centre which is 100miles round trip away....because you can be sure that your 4 lessons a month will be spread out and it will cost you more in fuel than you will ever earn

good luck

oh yes and welcome to snowHead 's
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Hi, i would get paid for the lessons but i imagin that it woudnt cover the cost of my petrol.
The thing is the company are building a slope in my home town but it wont b finished for a few years. when it is done, i would transfer to that one.

as its a 13 week course, in 13 weeks time it will be beginning of oct and i will be starting to look for chalet work etc in the alps.

i wonder if i could be cheeky and do the training, then dissapear to the alps for the winter?

thanks again
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Don't forget all the Nike Slopes are covered with Perma-Snow (some love it some hate it) not Dendix.

Welcome to snowHead 's
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Soph_boarder wrote:
.......The thing is the company are building a slope in my home town but it wont b finished for a few years. .....

... or maybe never. Companies run out of cash, or go bust, or markets can change. I would not plan on the slope being built near you, rather treat it as a bonus if it happens.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Soph_boarder, It doesn't sound like a very good deal to me. The qualification would mean nothing anywhere else, so you'd be better doing a recognised one elsewhere. Good luck and welcome to snowheads.
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Soph_boarder, Where abouts are you - there may be other options ?
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
easiski wrote:
Soph_boarder, It doesn't sound like a very good deal to me. The qualification would mean nothing anywhere else, so you'd be better doing a recognised one elsewhere. Good luck and welcome to snowheads.

I agree with this

Soph_boarder,
Basically if you want to be a ski teacher go for it - it's great fun. To do this (in the UK) you need to join BASI and go through the training system - there is no other way, unless you want to start doing some other country's qualification.
Check out the BASI website www.basi.org.uk there is lots of info there.
Remember that to be a ski teacher you need to be qualified by a national association (like BASI, AMSI, CSIA, etc). Nothing else is worth the paper it's written on.

Good luck, hope it all works out.

PS - don't forget that if you want to teach snowboarding you will need at least one pair of brown trousers at least 3 sizes too big wink
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
I don't see the harm if its just a toe in the water though I can't imagine they need a 13 week course to turn a competent snowboarder into an instructor. The key would be ensuring your 4 hour a month obligation could be scheduled on the same day & what your lock in period is if you're planning on going to the Alps anyway.
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
sounds like a lot of hassle for not very much to me. investigate doing a BASI 1 - you have to pay for it but it gives a lot more flexibility and they usually run courses pre- and post-season so you could, for example, do it in Tignes before starting your chalet work
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Hi

Thanks everyone for the advice, i have since looked in to the BASI level 1 course and i think i am going to do it. I didnt realise how cheap - i say cheap but i thought it was thousands rather than hundreds - it is.
It will probably work out cheper than spending god knows how much on petrol for 100miles everyweek.

I think i will try and book in for a course in manchester chill factor in october, as i am just inside the north wales boarder.

And its funny Wayne says that coz i was just looking at sum oversized baggys yesterday on internet! It must be ment to be!

Tkanks for all your help

Toofy Grin
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Soph_boarder wrote:
And its funny Wayne says that coz i was just looking at sum oversized baggys yesterday on internet! It must be ment to be!

Don't do it. Beware of the boarding beast; let the light of the ski illuminate your way through the shadows of the baggies and boards my child and all will be well in your life. Many have succumbed to the lure of sliding around on an ironing board, take heed that this way lays madness in your soul. Yea I say, hold on to the light of the ski.
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Soph_boarder wrote:
Hi

Thanks everyone for the advice, i have since looked in to the BASI level 1 course and i think i am going to do it. I didnt realise how cheap - i say cheap but i thought it was thousands rather than hundreds - it is.

I did my basi L1 last november in zermatt. Doing it in some fridge in the uk is for sure cheaper. Do L1 then use this john nike thing for your 35 hours ski school experience. Get the L1 license then use the nike thing again to get your 70 hours shadowing (paid). Then tell nike to go do one and get your L2. Stop at L2 unless you want to ski and get into the world of ski radius and leg extension.
If you can board ok and cope with switch down easy runs then L1 is a doddle, providing you arent me and have too many bad habits.
One of the things I learnt from that course is it doesnt matter how good you are, under video analysis you will suck. The other thing I learnt was how to board like a demi god and throw away the shackles of turning.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Quote:

The other thing I learnt was how to board like a demi god

but did you actually learn how to teach people to board?
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
pam w wrote:
Quote:

The other thing I learnt was how to board like a demi god

but did you actually learn how to teach people to board?

I did, that was the one thing I wanted to do the course for, I assumed my boarding was already unimprovable, I was wrong. Explaning something that should be natural is hard, the course certainly taught me that.
snow report
Quote:

Don't do it. Beware of the boarding beast; let the light of the ski illuminate your way through the shadows of the baggies and boards my child and all will be well in your life. Many have succumbed to the lure of sliding around on an ironing board, take heed that this way lays madness in your soul. Yea I say, hold on to the light of the ski

Im sorry but i quite like it over on the darkside, with the baggies and boards, feels a lot more chillaxed

So if i can ride switch as well as i can ride regular i should be ok then?

I only took it up in oct last year, do people think im trying to be to adventerous in trying to get my L1?
I am going boarding 3.5hrs a week now in a ''Fridge''.
I just ove it soooo much! Toofy Grin Toofy Grin
ski holidays
Soph_boarder, just be able to ride switch a little bit, it will help teaching people when they are goofy or regular and you are the opposite. You dont need to be able to be super good switch, if you can do an easy run (blue or red, whichever is the easier, I forgot again) then you are laughing, one or 2 on my course could only just do turns switch.
I had people on my course who were L2 skiing and doing L1 snowboarding after a month or 2 of boarding.
L1 isnt hard although I bitched, moaned and cryed before I did it.
snow conditions
Soph_boarder, There is a discussion here from when I did the BASI Boarding L1 at Tamworth a couple of years ago.
latest report
Thanks alot everyone, its nice to know i dont have to spend the next 3 months riding switch to perfection.

And thanks david, i will look at your discussion when im not in work!

thanks again Toofy Grin Toofy Grin
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy