Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Saas Fee lift system

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Having last minute nerves about booking Saas Fee for 3rd April next year. Going with wife and daughter who will be 5 years old (competent snow plougher, ready to move on).

The highlight of our last trip was all three of us being able to cruise the mountain together in the afternoons. I am concerned that there are so many T-bars here. While I shared a T-bar with daughter last time (rather than sending her off on own) it was not a pleasant experience and I would not like to do it all holiday!

Are there many suitable runs (blues, maybe easy reds) which we can get to without being dependent on the T-bars? I can see one or two that might be suitable, but are we then going to face long queues for the gondolas and chairs?

Many thanks for any help.
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Umm. Yes and no. My experience is limited to last year and falling off the T-bar from hell. V. embarrassing.

The T from hell is from Morenia to Felskinn. You can take the gondola from Morenia to Felskinn though. It depends how competent you all are. The blue from Felskinn down is OK...bit narrow at the top. The blue from Morenia down is OK if you can do reds. Basically, some of the blues are much more red than blue. The Platjen blue we were recommended not to use...way too icy in Jan. Might be fine by April.

There are button lifts on the nursery slopes on the right - and some nice runs for beginners (like me) on that slope. Turn left at the top and cruise back to the lift round the trees and half pipe (which is mostly unused). The wide area of the blue (halfway down from Felskinn to Morenia) is good once you know what you're doing.

Morenia - great place for food and drink.

It is a nice family resort - but I won't be going back until those damn Ts are gone!

Queues in Jan - very few.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Hmm - as a non lover of T bars I think you'll miss out on the most suitable runs in Saas Fee. The Feechatz slope is ideal for families (long, gentle, wide with amazing views) but also served by the longest t-bar in the world! If my memory serves me correctly this is actually a fact. However, this t-bar is very gentle. For me the t-bar from hell was 'Allalin' that ran to the top of the mountain, just below the top station of the mountain railway. It's incredibly steep, and icy when I was there. I felt that my life was in danger riding it. Also, the map shows a blue run from the top of the mountain. I couldn't find this, and ended up stuck on a terrifyingly icy and overcrowded piste that clearly wasn't a 'blue', before levelling out to the main glacier runs.

IMO, if you can reconcile yourself with t-bars you will find enough runs there that you can enjoy with the family. Without T-bars you'll find your options seriously limited. I personally didn't like the Morenia area - It seemed rather crowded and scarred by ugly ski lift pylons and buildings. The rest of the area is, however spectacularly beautiful as is the village. I'm very picky about the looks of my holiday resorts, and Saas Fee came out on top.

As a competant skier I really enjoyed Saas Fee, as did my partner who was a beginner at the time. I won't be going there for a while though, as while it couldn't be better for 1st/2nd weekers, there are very few progression runs. If you're looking for high mileage, easy cruising you might want to give Saas Fee a miss, especially if you can't face the t-bars.

Last year we went to Grimentz - another wonderful place! I think that would be much more suitable for your group. Lots of wide, fast blues and reds (my now third weeker partner could ski from top to bottom), and almost empty pistes! There are also no t-bars in Grimentz, however there are some in the resorts with which it shares a pass. The scenery, whilst very lovely, is not quite as amazing as Saas Fee. However the village is even prettier.

Alright I'll stop rambling - let me know if you'd like any more info on either place.
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Draybs74, Welcome to snowHead s. Is Grimentz suitable for April?
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Depends when in April I suppose, as there's no glacier. However there is ample sking between 2000 and 3000 metres. The only problem with Grimentz would be in white out conditions, as there's not much easy sking (if any, coming to think of it!) below the treeline. This wasn't a problem when I was there, as it was surreally sunny and warm all week (13-20 march 2009). The snow held up well over about 1800 metres. If you have a car, Vercorin is on the ski pass and has quite a few tree lined runs. We were carless when we visited, which worked quite well for the other resorts, (more so Zinal than St Luc) but not Vercorin.
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Draybs74, welcome and thanks for the info. We are now committed to SF in April which, all in all, I am very pleased about. It sounds great.

We can manage T-bars, just not all day! I am pleased to hear that the long one is gentle - I had always thought IT was the one people refer to as the "T-bar from hell" but the replies here have set that straight.

Now, next question is how to get my mates to commit to a boys trip in middle of recession. Not looking good so far.....
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Yes, once you accept it's shortcomings, which are lots of T bars and slightly limited mileage you'll fall in love with the place! Really (IMO) the only t-bar to watch out for is Allalin, not the long, gentle Feechatz. The scenery is absolutely incredible - think village surrounded by huge mountains with several tumbling glaciers. The village is pretty whilst modern and fully functioning, and the locals really friendly. It's got quite a genuine sort of feel, for such a famous resort. I really enjoyed the sking too - in no way was it secondary to the setting. Have fun! Sigh....
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy