Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

The E.N.S.A. to take a huge rethink.

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
The ENSA, Chamonix' school for Guides has announced it is no longer taking potential guides, until they have reviewed their training and qualification policies after a winter that has seen 8 of their guides die in the mountains.
When I know more, i'll put it up. Blush
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Nothing wrong with ENSA
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
achilles, Every Night Something Awful wink
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Eight???

Jeez Sad
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
AS firebug says.

That is a sign that something is very wrong, or at least is a sign that something needs to be done differently by ENSA or by the guides when out and about.

Draw a comparison with F1 motor racing.
A few years ago there were deaths (often several) and very serious injuries every season. They raised the safety standards without compromising the races and now those events are almost unheard of.
Not being an expert I wouldn't dream to suggest what ENSA/Guides need to do differently, but I'm sure they need a long hard look at what they do, and how they do it. I'll bet they do make changes, and some people will live to tell the tale as a result, while guiding will continue to offer the type of experiences to its clients that it always has.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Maybe because they insist on wearing crevasse rescue gear at apres ski bars and attaching things to the outside of their backpacks... More ice screws =/= safer. Wink
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
I had one once recently was shocking.... don't think he was even fully qualified. Attempted to ski the Galcier Rond all the way to the Mt Blanc Tunnel and took some huge risks and couldn't even cope with some of the conditions... very poor and has made me ask for the very best ever since then.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
SMALLZOOKEEPER wrote:
The ENSA, Chamonix' school for Guides has announced it is no longer taking potential guides, until they have reviewed their training and qualification policies after a winter that has seen 8 of their guides die in the mountains.
When I know more, i'll put it up. Blush

The training programme for guides and mountain leaders (Accompagnateur Moyenne Montagne) is changing anyway for next season, are you sure you are not getting confused with that?

Although the fatality rate for guides runs at around 4-5 per season 8 isn't an unusual figure.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
davidof, No I just made it up, unless my friends from the ENSA are confused.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
SMALLZOOKEEPER wrote:
davidof, No I just made it up, unless my friends from the ENSA are confused.

Did you speak to Pierre Oudot about this? You do know that there has already been a reorganisation of the guides training scheduled for next season due in part to the 8 deaths this season but also due to the increasing accident rates since 2000 (9 deaths in 2004 for example).

I don't think the texts for the new curriculum has been finalized (ie signed off by the minister of sports) and this may be the cause of delays you mention in enrolling new guides. The idea of the new course is to eliminate candidates who will not make the grade earlier in the process and to focus on professional development to improve the level of trainee and qualified guides.
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
I'm not going to mention names buddy, sorry, not my style.

As far as I know, it was rumored(if it's rumors you want, I could do better, as I'm going to play for Real Madrid next season.) that the ENSA is to be closed entirely in the next 2 years.

Now that to me was ridiculous, so the info I been given is that they are going to sit down and seriously look at the reasoning in greater detail and see if the structure needs to be changed in order to prevent further deaths. No great revelation as such, but I think it goes along way that such an institution is prepared to look deeper into their role to see if they can improve their position and save lives. It could, of course be argued that no amount of training can prevent deaths due to many personal and emotional factors that come into play after the qualification has been attained. E.N.S.A., I believe are looking at the re evaluation processes perhaps needed to help these, often fragile egos cope with not only their knowledge and experience as mountain guides.

In my experience, a very responsable and forward thinking move for a French Institution.
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy