Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Ireland's first snowdome gets go-ahead, with 31 planning conditions imposed

Poster: A snowHead
An ambitious plan to develop a 60m Euro snowdome in the Republic of Ireland has been approved by planners, with 31 conditions imposed on its developers. The scheme would transform a disused gravel quarry and surrounding land near Newtownmountkennedy, County Wicklow. The developers promise two main slopes, a teaching area, landscaped tropical beach, a lagoon and warm water pools fed from natural springs on the site...

The local authority responsible has approved the plans, subject to the developers installing a number of support services, access roads etc.

This report from Business World.

-----------
The Irish Republic has a thriving ski community. The Ski Club of Ireland built a successful artificial ski slope, so the enthusiasm certainly exists for a scheme like this. Any comments on whether it will work, from anyone who knows the local scene?

Last edited by Poster: A snowHead on Wed 2-02-05 13:13; edited 1 time in total
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Fantastic, it's 15 min up the road from me.
I'd say it will do well. Kilternan ski slope is nearby but it is very limiting for anyone who wants to do more than beginner lessons or a quick refresher before a holiday.
This would be a genuine leisure alternative for us to spend our new-found wealth on.
It's about half an hour south of Dublin, in case any of you were wondering.
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
I think its a great idea and cant wait until its open. Just wonder how much a season pass is going to cost!!
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
i have a feeling it would work, depending on pricing of passes of course...... us up north would probably use it because there is basically nothing else

ad
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
I'd love to see it go ahead but I just can't believe there is a big enough market in Ireland to justify a €60m investment.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
That's great news !!

Although its a pity that they are building it so near to the only other ski slope in Ireland !! It might have made more sense to build it North of Dublin.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
I would be reluctant to use the artificial slope in Kilternan again after a nasty thumb incident so bring on the snowdome!!!
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
I've got a bad feeling about this. Thoughts of Millennium Dome springs to mind. I wonder have they done their feasibility costings as to the potential market. Yes there is an increased affluence in Ireland because of the strong economy. But the market is quite small with a base of 4 millon people with a historically low interest in skiing. Perhaps that is now changing - it is after all just gone 20 years since I lived there - so things may have changed a lot since then.

Any comments, particularly from residents from the Republic of Ireland, would be welcomed. snowHead
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
A developer was looking to get planning permission in North Dublin for a Disneyland style complex. That didn't sound very feasible either however it was probably a trojan horse so they could build loads of houses and never get around to building the leisure facilities.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Sonya, I expect that they're utilising the existing topography on the site in the Wicklow Mts; both to "hide" the development to an extent and to reduce the amount of earthworks. I wouldn't have thought there's too many suitable sites north of Dublin.
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
You might be right Peter - hadn't thought of that. The Fingal Disneyland was a more obvious red herring when it was announced.

hibernia, Skiing has really caught on in Ireland in the 25 - 35 year old college graduate band. Unlike in Britain, very few of us would have been skiing with our parents but I think we'll be the generation to make it mainstream. There will be little kids tearing down slopes all over Europe in 15 years time with Irish accents.
A snowdome would definitely boost the profile even more.
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
paddyblack There will be little kids tearing down slopes all over Europe in 15 years time with Irish accents.
A snowdome would definitely boost the profile even more.[/quote]

But in the process will that enterprise go bust?. Its seems very ambitious and I wish it luck to achieve a critical mass. But is that critical mass there at the moment that would make it a profitable proposition?

In a professional capacity I have seen too many companies go down the drain as their dreams exceeded their potential.

Would anyone from this venture care to comment on the prospects for this venture?
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
laundryman, probably true
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
hibernia, I've no idea if it will work. Their market seems very fragmented with an odd mix of faculities (golf, beach and the slopes). You're much more sympathetic to business than I am; I wasn't very concerned about their chances of making money - only on my chances of skiing the slopes. Very Happy Unlike the Millenium Dome, it's not being funded by taxpayers.
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
i have to say that i'm surprised about the proposed size, type and location of the venture - re the size, then surely something a little more like one of the Xscapes with complementary facilities such as climbing walls, childcare facilities (like NRG play warehouse in City West), cinema, bowling alley etc. located off the M1 Northbound/ close to M50 would have the best reach in terms of attracting the largest possible cross-section of the Irish population (north and south)

... think the tropical beach aspect is absolutely laughable
...anyone who has had the misfortune to be in Newtownmountkennedy will understand that it is several shades removed from an idyllic caribbean setting Laughing

still, it would be great to have an option other than the finger/elbow/shoulder/collar-bone munching dry slope that is kilternan
ski holidays
laundryman, you're probably right about the topography of the site. But there is more to running a snowdome than finding a big hill to build it / hide it on !!

I still think having the only two slopes in Ireland located in a few miles of each other is not a good idea Sad

But good luck to them Smile
ski holidays
Quote:

There will be little kids tearing down slopes all over Europe in 15 years time with Irish accents.

Arinsal four or five years ago was already full of gurriers in shell suits
ski holidays
Latchigo, no stereo-typing there then. Were they all called Paddy by any chance??? wink
ski holidays
http://www.snowpiste.com

check this irish snowsports site out. with webcams, snow reports etc.......

the weather reports - dec 2002 - are slightly out of date rolling eyes
ski holidays
anyone heard if this snowdome is happening in ireland.
snow report
I spend a lot of time working with the Ski Club of Ireland and they aren't aware of any movement on this project.
latest report
Thank you for your reply. Really wish they would get something of the ground as it would make life a lot easier and cheaper. Razz
snow report
I always seem to hear a lot of Irish skiers around St Gervais /Chamonix. But 60m seems a little bit short.
snow conditions
has anyone heard anything about the snowdome type thing in dundalk?
ski holidays
nicely timed in preparation for the ultimate prize

proper job

http://www.winterolympics2026.com/
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy