Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

"UK based" ISIA training

Poster: A snowHead
A few things have frustrated me as I've been working through my ISIA training. (Apart from my lack of skill!)

The first is the lack of off-season ISIA level training that's available in the UK - I end up starting each season trying to remember and recapture what it was that helped me develop my skiing the previous season.

The second thing that's frustrating is that all the winter ISIA training courses I've seen run during the week - which is a complete PITA if you're only got limited leave available.

The last thing is the unwillingness of BASI to run courses over two weekends. Although running courses Wed-Sun does at least make up for some of this.

I was discussing these frustrations with Jaz Lamb, one of the directors of BASS Morzine, last year and I'm pleased to say that he's decided to try running a "UK-based" ISIA training course this season, comprising of:
- three one day training sessions at The Snow Centre (Hemel) during the Autumn (Sept, Oct, Nov - two of which are conveniently on Snowheads ski club dates)
- three Saturday / Sunday weekend training sessions in Morzine during the season.

(Well, two out of three isn't bad).

Training will be with a BASI Trainer. They haven't finalised which one yet, but it'll be one of Andy Jerram, Jaz or Becci Malthouse - all of them are superb.

Details are on the BASS Morzine courses page.

Jaz may be willing to split the sessions up so that you can do either just the UK or Morzine training - he can be reached at (Jaz at britishskischool dot com).

You will have spotted my enthusiasm and I've signed up. I'm just opening negotiations with DaughterOfFrankInston.
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
FlyingStantoni, great that these courses have been organised, and if I was in the country I'd probably be keen.

However, I have doubts that they would really do much more than a weekly race training session would fto help towards ISIA. I think where I will pass / fail the tech course will be bumps, variables, ice steeps etc and there's not a huge amount you can do (barring zip lines at Hemel Confused ) in the UK for those.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
When I got Jaz's email I thought it should have been called the Stantoni Training Programme!
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
The two are definitely complimentary beanie1 - whilst doing the race training will help with skill levels they don't look for the precision that BASI want.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
beanie1 wrote:
bumps, variables, ice steeps etc and there's not a huge amount you can do (barring zip lines at Hemel) in the UK for those.

I'm anal and obsessive yes, but can I qualify the above - off season yes I'd agree. During the season there's lots to be done in at least one part of the UK ... namely Scotland ... and the variables, as you may know, are more variable than you'll get almost anywhere, lol wink

FlyingStantoni, nice one - I may well be interested! snowHead
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Quote:
they don't look for the precision that BASI want

You've got to be pretty precise with the gates, or else very fast at getting your hand down to block the gate from preventing you having children in future when you straddle Smile
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
FlyingStantoni, the better kids in our race club are all very precise in their skiing and drills. Not saying that there isn't a benefit to this course though, I'm sure there is!
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
beanie1 wrote:
FlyingStantoni, the better kids in our race club are all very precise in their skiing and drills. Not saying that there isn't a benefit to this course though, I'm sure there is!

Frankly, I need all the help I can get Embarassed
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Hi all,

The principle is to use the time at the Snow Centre to develop precise and accurate ranges of movement before taking those skills into the open mountain environment and applying them in the bumps, variables etc during the Morzine weekends. It is designed as a joined up programme. There isn't much value running bumps (or variables) if there isn't the accuracy in the core steering movements, consolidating and 'grooving' poor movement patterns will not bring success at ISIA or later at ISTD level. Let me know if anyone wants any more info or even a similar programme at other centres.

Good skiing to everyone.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
jaz, welcome to snowHeads Smile
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
There's two known people booked on this course now - anyone else interested?
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
I'm signed up snowqueen11 and DaughterOfFrankInston is giving it serious thought.
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
how did it go?
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
The first session was really good skimottaret. DaughterOfFrankInston was on fine form and showed all the rest of us up. Skiing on one leg? It's for girls anyway.

The session focussed on being absolutely balanced at the transition - fore-aft and and laterally - with momentarily absolutely flat skis. Not "sort of flat". Or "passing through flat on the way to the other edge". For me, at least, it made a huge difference to how early I get an edge. Less haste and more speed and all that.

I started out well; got worse; went through the pit of dispair and then rallied later on to the best short turns I've ever consciously and deliberately made. No less.

DaughterOfFrankInston started out cold and a tad grumpy and gradually ramped up to shredding up the slope. She's going to be better than me soon. (Time to take the telemarking more seriously!)

We've got a very nice group of five - all of whom will be doing the Morzine sessions. So, it's looking good.

Next session is on 10th October.
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
I was in, but now I'm out, I'm afraid. I took a fall at last week's instructor training session at Hemel, and have sprained the ligs in my knee, so I can't make the next training session on 10th October. There's no point in paying for two missed sessions, so I'm cancelling my Morzine trips as well.

A shame, as it looked a really good course.
snow conditions
Ouch, sorry to hear that snowqueen11.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy