Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Ryanair just gets worse!

Poster: A snowHead
From Bloomberg:

Main points, no hold luggage. The hold will only be used when the over head lockers are full Shocked
Potentially they may ban the carrying of ski's Shocked

June 23 (Bloomberg) -- Ryanair Holdings Plc, Europe’s largest low-cost airline, will bar passengers from traveling with anything other than hand luggage as it seeks to cut costs.
Ryanair plans to offer an “unlimited” allowance for carry-on bags that comply with government size limits while abolishing checked luggage from next spring, Chief Executive Officer Michael O’Leary said today. The airline anticipates savings of 20 million euros a year ($28 million).
“We’re going to move away from check-in luggage to more carry-on luggage,” O’Leary said at a press briefing in London.
“This isn’t the end of civilization as we know it, it only sounds revolutionary. I can assure you it’s not.”
Ryanair is already scrapping airport check-in desks for passengers from Oct. 1, compelling people to register for flights via the Dublin-based company’s Web site. According to O’Leary’s new rule on baggage, passengers must carry all belongings onto the plane themselves and only when overhead lockers become full will items be stowed in the cargo hold.
The U.K. Civil Aviation Authority said it won’t consider the case until Ryanair gives notice that it will go ahead with the change. BAA Ltd., which owns airports including London Stansted, Ryanair’s biggest U.K. base, said it will look at the proposal in more detail.
“Currently every airport has a different policy on hand luggage depending on their unique requirements,” spokesman Stuart Butchers said in an e-mailed statement. “These policies are negotiated on a unilateral basis between the airport operator, airlines and the Department for Transport.”

Ski Ban?

The transport department told Bloomberg News it’s only responsible for size restrictions on carry-on bags, which must measure no more than 56 centimeters by 45 centimeters by 25 centimeters. O’Leary said at the briefing that people may no longer be able to transport items such as skis, before adding that details have yet to be finalized.
Ryanair says that about 70 percent of customers already avoid checking bags. Passengers are currently allowed to carry aboard one item of luggage per trip weighing no more than 10 kilos. The carrier charges 20 euros to check in a bag weighing up to 15 kilograms at the airport. It has an excess baggage charge of 15 euros per kilo, so that a 20 kilogram case costs 95 euros to stow.
British Airways Plc, Europe’s third-biggest airline, said separately today that it was introducing a “Value Calculator”
on its Web site to allow people to compare its fares with prices at Ryanair and EasyJet Plc, Europe’s No. 2 discount carrier.

Additional Fees

Passengers can pay as much as 375 pounds ($615) in extra fees for a round trip with Ryanair and 79 pounds with EasyJet, British Airways said in a statement. As a full-service carrier, the London-based company says the price of its tickets covers free booking, ticketing, baggage check in and food and drink.
“The no frills carriers claim they’re always cheaper”
Richard Tams, BA’s head of sales for the U.K. and Ireland, said in the statement. “Our calculator shows they are not.”
Still, British Airways Chief Executive Officer Willie Walsh says in the latest edition of employee circular ‘BA News’ that charging for items historically included in the ticket price is “an area we need to look at.” He said the company will stop short of short-term measures that might damage the brand.
O’Leary said today he’s also freezing capacity growth at Ryanair’s nine U.K. bases in protest at travel taxes. A 10- pound tax on each passenger is making Britain “an uncompetitive destination,” he said, adding that the charge will cost jobs and hurt tourist revenue.
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
All good fun. I travelled on a few flights years ago on which you carried your own luggage out to the 'plane; Athens airport ran like that at one time. At least you know your luggage made it as far, if not actually onto, the 'plane.

If the BA 'value calculator' is correct, it'll be handy. At the times I want to fly on hol, Ryanair and Eayjet are usually no cheaper than BA and the like.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Did anyone go skiing before Ryanair ? How did we cope ?!
It's a big, cheap, flying bus, not aimed at skiers - yer pays yer money...
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
The ferry companies must love him.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Gotta like O'Leary's style... his target market moan and whinge like crazy but still stand in line to cough up more money and take more abuse.
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Jerry wrote:

I have long thought so. BA is a basket case with pricing wholly unconnected to its (lack of) profitability - so how long it can keep going remains to be seen. Easyjet has become the standard airline for European destinations, for me.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
^ precisely, does anyone actually use Ryanair to go skiing? Shocked
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
I feel sorry for those who have no alternative flights.

On ski carriage - IMHO, for the average UK skier, most of the time, taking your own skis is an unnecessary hassle and renting in resort will be a better total experience anyway.

Boots might be tricky in hand luggage but you can always wear team and put the trainers in the bag.
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Cannot see this working with a plane load of skiers to Friedrichshafen, LOL !!
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
achilles wrote:
Jerry wrote:

I have long thought so. BA is a basket case with pricing wholly unconnected to its (lack of) profitability - so how long it can keep going remains to be seen. Easyjet has become the standard airline for European destinations, for me.

???? not for me... I only go EJ if I have to and wouldn't go Ryanair at all...

BA and Swiss are the 1st sites I'd look up...after the train.

EJ are the last resort..
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
JT, to each his own. I used the train to get to the Alps in 2 out of my 3 trips last season. But that had a lot to do with avoidance of airport security hassle rather than being put off by any specific airline.
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Quote:

I travelled on a few flights years ago on which you carried your own luggage out to the 'plane;

Al Qaeda would love that!
"You packed your bag yourself sir?"
"I sure have ma'am!"

Can Ryanair really live simply off passengers with only carry-on luggage?
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Kruisler, quite so. Athens airport in the 80s was not the most secure place on the planet. Their only concession to security was a little tank parked outside the main building; other than that, it was a free for all, at a time when hijacking was quite fashionable.

As for Ryanair, I'm surprised that they think that ruling out people who need to take more than acarry on bag is good business, but they seem to have done OK so far despite business practices which many people would regard as counter productive.
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
I use BA wherever possible. Better value, less hassle, better service.
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
davejsy, have you got the link to this story?
ski holidays
beanie1, it's off my bloomberg terminal at work so no link I can paste on here. I'd guess it must be on the bloomberg website somewhere though if you do a search.

Quote:

I'm the same, shame they seem to be struggling a bit at the moment - guess it must be the same for all of them though, as RA cost cutting measures show.
snow conditions
davejsy wrote:
beanie1, it's off my bloomberg terminal at work so no link I can paste on here. I'd guess it must be on the bloomberg website somewhere though if you do a search.

Quote:

I'm the same, shame they seem to be struggling a bit at the moment

A bit??? Shocked

Quote:

British Airways makes worst ever loss

• Pre-tax loss of £401m almost double what many predicted
• Willie Walsh says he sees no signs of economic recovery

Quote:
- guess it must be the same for all of them though, as RA cost cutting measures show.

Nope (from the Half yearly 06 May 2009 results)
Quote:
easyJet is financially strong, with cash and money market deposits as at 31 March 2009 exceeding £1 billion

though the half-year figures could have been better, their situation is nothing like as dire as BA's.

IIRC Ryaniar losses stem from their holding in Aer Lingus.
ski holidays
richmond,

Agreed on Ryanair, they've done well so far so they must be right, but I can't help being dubious.
The article says that by Ryanair's own figures, effectively 30% of their passengers still check-in some bagages. Can they afford to loose those 30% or even just 10% ?
Will the cost savings really by so much that they can scrap potentially so much of their revenue?

Personally I use them only when left with no other options. I am flying for leisure 90% of the time, and usually for week(s) long trips or ski trips. So if they implement tha trule thay have lost me as a customer, irrespective of what I think of them...
latest report
I'll only use them like a bus service when I dont have bags for popping over and back from Ireland to England. I factor all the costs when I plan a ski trip and they have priced themselves out of the market for me and my skis, bikes, bags etc.
snow report
under a new name wrote:
I feel sorry for those who have no alternative flights.

On ski carriage - IMHO, for the average UK skier, most of the time, taking your own skis is an unnecessary hassle and renting in resort will be a better total experience anyway.

Boots might be tricky in hand luggage but you can always wear team and put the trainers in the bag.

I agree taking skis is a hassle, and I longer have to cart mine about, but when I did, as a person of petite stature (ok, yes a pixie!) finding suitable skis in hire shops was a nightmare. If I wanted something decent they were too long, if I got something in the correct length, they were usually meant for kids or beginners.
snow report
I sometimes think that he just does this for the publicity. It remains to be seen whether this or the toilet thing will actually be implimented.
ski holidays
Simples. Use Ryanair for short trips with an overnight bag only and other carriers for ski trips and longer trips. Works fine for me. Different carriers have different strong points after all.
ski holidays
Last time I travelled Ryanair there was no space in the overhead lockers as it was so I doubt they can effectively implement this change.
Is their cargo business more profitable than the passenger service? Perhaps they should just carry cargo in the cabin too.

Last edited by After all it is free Go on u know u want to! on Wed 24-06-09 13:12; edited 1 time in total
snow report
I shall be using Ryanair for the first time this Friday. I shall reserve any judgement or opinion until then.
snow report
queen bodecia wrote:
Simples. Use Ryanair for short trips with an overnight bag only and other carriers for ski trips and longer trips. Works fine for me. Different carriers have different strong points after all.

Yes. In fact it almost sounds like an implicit pact with easyJet.

You take the hefty luggage, we'll take the weekenders, and nobody has to get hurt, capiche?
ski holidays
paulio wrote:
capiche?

"capisce" or better, as it's one company to another - more than one person - then it's "capite"
snow report
Best thing about BA....?? T5 ..esp with club rights...Laughing
ski holidays
I'm travelling BA club on Friday, is the new exec lounge at T5 good then JT?
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
beanie1 wrote:
I'm travelling BA club on Friday, is the new exec lounge at T5 good then JT?

Very nice, although not quite as good as the Concorde Club Room (for 1st class) Smile
ski holidays
I heard there's a spa, do you know how that works?
latest report
beanie1 wrote:
I heard there's a spa, do you know how that works?

The Elemis Travel Spa (or is it Molton Brown?) offers massages and other kinds of stuff like manicures, aroma therapy. Each session is pretty short, but helps pass the time between check-in and blast-off. As soon as you arrive go to the Spa reception to book a slot as it's first come, first served (when you enter the lounge I think you turn right to head towards the Spa).
snow conditions
beanie1, I thought so... but whether I would pay for it is another thing...

Courtesy of Arno and Kitenski...in my case...
latest report
I dislike using Ryanair because they (and their kind) treat you like idiots. This further underlines the contempt with which they view their customers.

They really are the Ratners of air travel. Screw 'em.
ski holidays
under a new name wrote:
taking your own skis is an unnecessary hassle and renting in resort will be a better total experience anyway.
Cheaper, or a better experience ? I prefer the experience of being on my own skis, plus I'm not sure how, as a skier, taking my skis is an unnecessary hassle Puzzled

I went for a pint the other night - I'm sure the bus driver regarded me with contempt, but he was cheap and passing the pub, so I let it go. Wink Laughing
latest report
You get what you pay for. I think Ryanair will eventually go down the pan.
snow report
BA's value calculator...
http://www.britishairways.com/travel/value-calculator/public/en_gb

It always pays to shop around and compare the total cost.

As for M O'Leary and Ryanair, it surprises me that they have any repeat customers. The only people who fly with them are first timers and those with no choice.
snow conditions
bucking bronco wrote:
BA's value calculator...

Blimey:

Ryanair: £375.00 EXTRA*
Easyjet: £79.85 EXTRA*
BA: NO EXTRA CHARGE*

I knew Ryanair had loads of hidden charges but £375 Shocked

For me it just confirms my choice to avoid them like the plague because with extras charged at that level they're stupidly expensive (and by all accounts you're treated like cattle)!

Easyjet I can cope with (and often do!) and if the initial fare is cheap enough it makes them competitive with 'only' £79.85 extra charged.

However, BA are not as wonderful as they'd like to make out - I'm still smarting from being forced at Xmas to repack all my families bags in front of the check in on the way back to the UK because one was just under 0.5 KG over their 23KG single bag limit. This being despite the fact we were overall about 20KG under our total limit. Having a BA person sitting in front of us saying "computer says you can repack or pay excess on that bag" umpteen times didn't endear them to me I have to admit! Never had that hassle with Easyjet (or Virgin, which when mentioned seemed to wind her up a great deal, lol) so BA have a way to go on the customer service front IMHO!
snow conditions
I'm still smarting after BA bumped me off the half term flight I'd booked and payed for 11 months earlier. I only got on it after waiting for everyone else to check in leaving very little time to get to the gate. BA are very far from perfect either.
snow report
I think now that the budget airline market is rather overcrowded, Ryanair are trying to find a niche. For weekends away with an overnight bag only, it makes perfect and very affordable sense.
snow conditions
roga wrote:
bucking bronco wrote:
BA's value calculator...

Blimey:

Ryanair: £375.00 EXTRA*
Easyjet: £79.85 EXTRA*
BA: NO EXTRA CHARGE*

I knew Ryanair had loads of hidden charges but £375 Shocked

That is if you are really stupid only. It is the maximum extra charge, where all the most expensive options are chosen.

Go for more common options - paying by credit card (most people don't have electron), online check in, one 15Kg bag (which is all most short haul airlines allow now) and no food & drink, and it is down to £30 extra (£18.95 with EJ).

By far the largest part of the initial extra is down to excess baggage charges - £260 for a 23Kg bag instead of £20 for a 15Kg bag.
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy