Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Mystery painting - can you identify the mountain?

Poster: A snowHead
Here's a puzzle for you Smile

I've inherited a watercolour painting of a high Alpine scene, I have a feeling it is probably a mountain in Austria because the original owners were very fond of Austria and holidayed there.

The painting is by an artist called Elisabeth Hocrole-Peters (I think that's what the signature says).

So, firstly can anyone identify the mountain?

For bonus points can any art geniuses tell me anything about the artist (can't find anything on the net so I guess she isn't very well known)?

Here's the painting, click the thumbmnail to see a larger version:

Last edited by Poster: A snowHead on Wed 24-06-09 14:30; edited 1 time in total
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
i don't know, but you are going to bin the painting aren't you? it's awful. sorry in advance if you like it!
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
it's not giving much away!
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Quote:

So, firstly can anyone identify the mountain?

The Alps

Quote:

For bonus points can any art geniuses tell me anything about the artist

Its a woman artist

RPF deux points Puzzled
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
DrE wrote:
i don't know, but you are going to bin the painting aren't you? it's awful. sorry in advance if you like it!

LOL, it's got sentimental value and I've seen worse ...

... actually yeah I do quite like it but each to their own Toofy Grin
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
davejsy, yeah it's not giving much away!

RPF, good try! Laughing
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
I'd like to Say the Dent Du Geant, the scale looks ok, but the surroundings mean it would have been painted from a point i've not accessed.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Could almost be the peak of the Silberhorn with the Kleine Silberhorn in front, I'd guess it's more the propper alps than Austria, they don't have as many true peaks as in that pic
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Hmmm, it looks a bit stylised/imaginary - the main pyramidal peak with the bigger mass looming over it top right just doesn't look genuine to me. A lot of mountain landscapes have exaggerated shapes, invented lakes etc...
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
roga wrote:
The painting is by an artist called Elisabeth Hocrole-Peters (I think that's what the signature says).

For bonus points can any art geniuses tell me anything about the artist (can't find anything on the net so I guess she isn't very well known)?
]

I wonder if the surname is correct. Hocrole doesn't seem correct but I'm not good at reading English handwriting to be honest. I checked the phone book and there are no Hocroles in London for example and I couldn't find any on Google (maybe a Scottish name or something).

I don't think the picture is that bad, the painter obviously has some ability.
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
SMALLZOOKEEPER wrote:
I'd like to Say the Dent Du Geant, the scale looks ok, but the surroundings mean it would have been painted from a point i've not accessed.

Thanks SMALLZOOKEEPER but to me the Dent Du Gean looks a lot more craggy and steep than the peak in this painting - at least judging by the Google image search results I got (don't know the area myself).
D G Orf wrote:
Could almost be the peak of the Silberhorn with the Kleine Silberhorn in front, I'd guess it's more the propper alps than Austria, they don't have as many true peaks as in that pic

Good shout there, the right country and it looks like a likely contender from the photos I've found - nice one Very Happy

Anyone else got ideas?
Plake wrote:
Hmmm, it looks a bit stylised/imaginary - the main pyramidal peak with the bigger mass looming over it top right just doesn't look genuine to me. A lot of mountain landscapes have exaggerated shapes, invented lakes etc...

True but surely that tended to be the case in the 19th century period whereas in the 20th painters tended to produce a truer representation of the landscape they saw (unless they were abstract lol) - I'm pretty sure this painting is 20th century and probably immediately post war.
davidof wrote:
I wonder if the surname is correct. Hocrole doesn't seem correct but I'm not good at reading English handwriting to be honest. I checked the phone book and there are no Hocroles in London for example and I couldn't find any on Google (maybe a Scottish name or something).

True, it is a strange name but I don't think it's Scottish to be honest.

Here's a close up of the signature (click below), looks like Hocrole to me ... strange!

Quote:
I don't think the picture is that bad, the painter obviously has some ability.

Thanks Smile

I know it's no great work but I don't think it's too bad either Very Happy
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
roga, I can't believe I can't find a "hocrole" reference anywhere on Google.
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
under a new name wrote:
roga, I can't believe I can't find a "hocrole" reference anywhere on Google.

Can't help with the pic, but give a few days to index, then snowheads snowHead will be the only reference on google for that search term Wink
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
roga wrote:

Here's a close up of the signature (click below), looks like Hocrole to me ... strange!

That squiggle between the H and the c could be almost anything at all. It certainly doesn't look anything like the o in "crole".
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
I am with Dr E on this one. Are you sure it isn't the top of a chocolate box? wink
ski holidays
The same thing as alex_heney struck me i.e. the two "o" are nothing like each other.... That suggests two different letters IMV
ski holidays
Just to add more confusion, I'm not sure that the c between the o and r is a c; could be an e, I think. But then I've had no more luck googling Elisabeth Hoerole-Peters or Hörole-Peters Crying or Very sad
latest report
alex_heney wrote:
roga wrote:

That squiggle between the H and the c could be almost anything at all. It certainly doesn't look anything like the o in "crole".

It looks like a Greek theta.

Elisabeth Hthetacrole-Peters.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy