Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Munich to St Anton - OK or pain in butt?

Poster: A snowHead
Next years boys trip getting organised and accommodation booked. Now the flights, which are a complete pain from Scotland to Innsbruck. Only Inghams do it and charge £275 for the flights. Can fly easyJet to Munich for way less than half the price but wondering if the transfer to St Anton from Munich is pretty crappy - thinking that the roads would be crammed on Saturday's and train looks like it takes around 3 hours. Preferred option would be Innsbruck but flights not released yet.
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
boabski, are there no flights to Friedrichshafen?
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Or Zurich + Train/Car?
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
We trained from MUC to StA year before last and will do again next year. It's a longish journey, 4 hours+, with at least 2 changes IIRC (Munich Hbf and Innsbruck on the way out, somewhere else on the way back, which was by a different route). The train is pretty cheap, and perfectly doable, but you'll have to get a very early flight if you want to do more than have dinner when you arrive in StA. We took an afternoon flight, dined in Munich and got into StA at about midnight, which was OK (the station is easily walkable to hotels in downtown StA) but not ideal; on the way back, the train was late at StA and made up only a little time; we caught the 'plane by the skin of our teeth. Next year, we are taking a hideously early flight to arrive in StA in the afternoon, and the last flight back.

Last year we took the Bergland Express. Left St Pancras on Friday afternoon to Brussels, pottered around Brussels and ate, Bergland Express sleeper to Inssbruck, train to StA, arrived about 10am on Sat. Left StA Saturday evening about 6pm to Innsbruck, bought provisions there, Bergland Express sleeper to Brussels, Eurostar, back in StP by 11am Sunday. More expensive than flying to MUC and train, but you get 8 days skiing and it's good fun, much better than flying. Bugger all use if you're in Scotland, I suppose, unless you want to give up all of Friday and Sunday.
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
From the Airport its a minimum of 4hours with 2 changes. Is no big deal.

http://reiseauskunft.bahn.de/bin/query.exe/dn?ld=212.136&seqnr=7&ident=jq.04371136.1245750440&rt=1&rememberSortType=minChanges&OK#focus
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Have done MUC to St Anton by car. Don't remember it being too bad, certainly less than three hours. It was a few years ago (going past Garmisch rather than Innsbruck), but roads probably better now even with more traffic.

Last edited by You'll need to Register first of course. on Tue 23-06-09 11:17; edited 1 time in total
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
stanton, agreed.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
We took Lufthansa flights to Innsbruck from Edinburgh a couple of times cost about £200. Flights are currently more than that, but if you price the legs separatley it may be cheaper (but have to check in again at Frankfurt).

Munich does have the advantage of a good sushi restaurant!
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Sideshow_Bob, Friedrichshafen been done before via Stanstead and is Ok but can't be bothered with a connecting flight. Zurich an option from Edinburgh with BMI but not on Saturday's. richmond, Like the cound of that but yes, from Glasgow it would be pointless. Innsbruck definitely best option but will probably need to a) take the hit with Inghams or b) fly from North of England to Innsbruck.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ghost Dog, Innsbruck does close in unfavourable weather - in which case the diversion can be Munich - in which case it is just as well to know how to get to St A from there.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
achilles wrote:
Ghost Dog, Innsbruck does close in unfavourable weather - in which case the diversion can be Munich - in which case it is just as well to know how to get to St A from there.

It takes a lot to completely close it. And the one time I was there when only the Austrian & Lauda flights were moving, everybody else seemed to be being diverted to Verona.
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
boabski, The problem with flying into Munich on a Saturday in the ski season and transferring by road is that whatever route you use, you have have to reckon on delays. Most of us locals avoid the major transit routes during the day and have all sorts of alternatives, back-doubles, etc ready to avoid the hangups that do occur as sure as night follows day, unfortunately.

Munich to Innsbruck is not too far and then on to St Anton, but you have 3 major headaches on all the route options:

A9 to Munich from the airport to the A99. This is a bottle-neck most weekends without the addition of traffic going to the ski resorts.
A99 to A8: There are several bottle necks here due to the road being used like the M25 by locals as well as the through traffic. The worst one is usually the junction with the A8 at Brunnthal (München-Süd)
A8: the first place to jam up here is always the Irschenberg (Weyern to Irschenberg) as the steep climb up the Irschenberg usually catches all the vehicles without winter tyres, plus there is no hard shoulder so if a vehicle is stopped, there is no way around it!
The second hold-up occurs at the Inntal-Dreiecke (the A8 / A93 interchange). Here all the ski traffic for the Tirol suddenly switches from a three lane to a single lane ramp! Hence it backs up.

If you choose to go via Garmisch to Innsbruck, you could strike it lucky as not so much traffic uses this route, and none of the HGVs in transit as they are not allowed to use a particular section (Zirlerberg).

From Munich Airport take the A92 following signs to Stuttgart and Lindau (this avoids the back-ups on the A9) Link with the A99 at the Feldmoching interchange and follow signs to Lindau. When you join the A96 (Lindau autobahn, follow signs for the A95 Garmisch-Partenkirchen. This will bring you to a section of 3 lane highway up to the exit for Starnberg, then it is 2-lanes only for the rest of the trip south. The end of the A95 at Eschenlohe is often jammed as it changes from autobahn to standard A-Road their, not even dual carriage-way! The next 6 kms or so to Garmisch can be a real stop-go nightmare as there is no alternative route in some weather. Once you reach the outskirts of Garmisch you follow the signs to Innsbruck. But the rest of the trip to Innsbruck is on ordinary A-Class roads and if the snowfall is particularly heavy, they can close the route at Mittanwald as the avalanche risk increase.

Although it is longer in mileage, I always choose to go via the A96 Lindau/Bregenz autobahn if at all possible. It generally has less holiday traffic on it as it is not a main arterial route like the A8. From Bregenz you have a fairly short distance to travel to St Anton and it is well signposted. The only possible big bottleneck could be the Fender Tunnel near Bregenz. The mileage is greater but the frustration level is so much lower that it is worth it for me!

I think a far better idea is to fly to Zurich or Friedrikshafen if you can. The transfers by train or by road are much more straightforward and less prone to hold-ups either on the roads or the rail network.

Sue wink
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
alex_heney, could be. I do remember, thought, waiting at Gatwick for 12 hours before eventually being flown to Munich. That said, the flight out from Innsbruck was delightful.
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Samerberg Sue,
Quote:
Once you reach the outskirts of Garmisch you follow the signs to Innsbruck. But the rest of the trip to Innsbruck is on ordinary A-Class roads and if the snowfall is particularly heavy, they can close the route at Mittanwald as the avalanche risk increase.
That's quite a long way round! Probably about 50Km more than if you go over Fernpass from Garmisch instead. And Zirlerberg going down from Seefeld to Innsbruck can be a complete nightmare in bad weather. That's if the Mittenwald-Scharnitz road is open at all!
I always go over Fernpass. Takes me about 2h15 from the start of the Garmisch Autobahn to St.A these days, if I get to the Fernpass before the Dutch that is rolling eyes Since they have built a bypass round Nassereith and a tunnel from Landeck to Flirsch the journey has become a lot faster Smile
But like I say, you have to either go very early or very late to avoid the Dutch with their snow chains on the Fernpass rolling eyes
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Steilhang, I was trying to avoid exactly that situation! Hence I did not mention the Fern Pass. I've been stuck several times on the Fern Pass, not always behind a Dutch caravan towed by a vehicle without snow chains/winter tyres. But they do feature on that route, don't they!

I think the idea to fly into Friedrikshafen with Ryan Air or into Zurich with just about anyone is a way better option if you can do it. It is quicker and easier to cross the north-south flow of holiday traffic than to try and circumvent it! rolling eyes

I currently live near Kufstein so my route is straight through Austria to St Anton! And there are some bottlenecks on that route thanks to ASFINAG doing all their long term road improvements! Twisted Evil

Sue
ski holidays
achilles wrote:

Innsbruck closes when its bad weather. Booking now you will have no idea but it happens alot.

I,ve heard of flights being diverted to Milan, Stuttgart & Zurich !! Munich is normal for diversions.
snow report
For anyone travelling through Bavaria by car this links you to the police web site showing all the hazards on Bavarian roads!
(Sadly no warning for Dutch drivers with caravans and how to avoid them though)

http://www.bayerninfo.de/vib/home/;jsessionid=B45D140ADB6D91194C952E4848B6DE7F

The site should be in English as I copied the link from the English pages. It is constantly updated and is the source for all the traffic warnings you hear, but maybe don't understand, on the radio!

Click on the tab "Traffic Conditions" and you are on the page which shows the map with all the hold-ups and causes, including how long they are.

Hope it is a useful addition to your bookmarks!

Sue wink
snow conditions
Don't forget the Innsbruck airport could be closed due to weather. then you might lose a day
The train from Munich is easy 1 change in Innsbruck 3 hours is not bad
snow conditions
I did it 2 years ago and it only just over 2 hours because the autobahn is so good.
latest report
Update - flights booked for Innsbruck last week or so, but thanks for all the info.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy