Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

1st Test technique and Eurotest of the season (09/10)

Poster: A snowHead
Just wondering how I can book onto the Test Technique and Eurotest that take place in December. I am level 2 BASI at the moment but plan on attempting to get my Eurotest out of the way early on as I may go for my ISTD in the future. The Test Technique is for my stagiere status to do some instructing for me teaching in Chatel (France)

Searches here didnt show anything recent on the subject (or I set the filter wrong!) so any help/advice on the subject would be great!

cheers,

Ross.
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Dates for Eurotest will go onto the Basi website nearer to the time. You also book onto it through Basi. First one of the season is normally in Garmisch (I think) in early December. Here is the link http://www.basi.org.uk/course_disc.aspx?did=9 , but the dates aren't on yet.

Test technique, you need to go on a French website for that, can't remember which one, sure someone on here will know.

Have you got racing experience? These races are not easy and usually require a lot of training unless you are either very lucky/very good/have racing background.

Whereabouts in Lancashire you from?
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
I live in the countryside, nearest big town would be Clitheroe about 6 miles away.

I head to Wanaka on tuesday and will be training with HPC at Cardrona 3 days a week until October. I am then doing 3 weeks with R21 in Tignes. Finger crossed this should be enough training. I have no prior race experience but I do have over 60 weeks of skiing on snow. Everything has been happening quickly for me recently, Ive done my BASI stuff since ending 6th form and planned on more DH biking over the summer. However Peter Kuwall suggested that I go for my Test Technique to allow me to work for BASS/ESF in Chatel (my parents have a chalet in chatel) whilst my skiing is going well. So I figured I'd go all in for the training and hope for the results after I've put in some hard work.

I've heard many stories of how difficult the racing is and seen many skiers who I believe to be very good who have missed by fractions of a second. But if the training seems to go well I'll enter full of confidence, and hopefully keep a level head to the line!

Thanks for that info. Hopefully someone will come back with the Test Technique info.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Cool, good luck.

Small world, Clitheroe was my nearest town until a few years ago. I lived just outside of Gisburn. Did you go to Clitheroe Grammar 6th form? I have also trained with R21 over the last few years. Would definitely recommend them.

I'll have a think about the TT info and see if I can remember it. So, are you planning on your Isia this coming season?
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
yeah I know Gisburn, Im just over the hill from Waddington. And yes I did go to CRGS! small world alright...

Yeah R21 sound decent, my level 2 trainer suggested them for race training needs. Good to hear you've had good training from them, Im looking forward to it after NZ should keep me up to speed just before the tests are run.

Hmm dont know that I'll have got my teaching hours up in time for any exams by the next european season. Should get enough, if not in chatel (dependant on the test) then in Verbier and maybe some Interski stuff as well. Im almost certainly going for ISIA and higher though at some point, I was training with some ISTD candidates in Chatel and it was great fun, handled the excercises fairly well and just really enjoy it in general. The trainers/coaches I've had so far think I should be aiming for ISTD/Trainer at some point which is positive! so guess one major hurdle will be the racing...

Thanks for looking into the TT for me, Ive asked Dougie but he's not been back to me yet. Also thought snowHead 's would be good for getting other tips and advie on the subject in general.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
R555MAC, you could do your ISIA mountain safety, coach and common theory modules first, you dont need 200 hours for those...

please publish anything you find out about test technique, i am sure it will be of interest and as you have found little info on line....
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Ah I thought that might be the case. I did look into the common theory but the dates dont fit with me, seems odd that they have so few dates to attend really! Might look into the mountain safety dates/locations then...thanks for that.

I will do. The TT has obviously become far more important recently than it has been in the past but there really is very little to find online currently. Hopefully I will get all of the info I need soon from Dougie or someone else at R21, then I can inform others.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
R555MAC, from what I can remember of last year BASI published its calendar of course dates around July, although Eurotest dates might not have been available at that time.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
R555MAC, you're right the Common Theory is a hassle, I wanted to do it round about now but the one week it's run I'm on holiday! Then I'm moving to Hong Kong, so it's going to be a long way to come back for a week of lectures in Aviemore...

I've asked why they can't run them more frequently and somewhere more accessible, apparently it's to do with getting all the lecturers needed together in one place at the same time, logistical nightmare!
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
You can book Sep. or Oct for the french speed tests from memory...think it would be about third wk of dec in Alp d huez. Heard booking onto TT is a bit of a hassle..the french like their paperwork...

good luck fella...looks like you've got good training lined up...fitness a big part too
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
BEANIE1
Same for me the common theory is on dates that are impossible for me to attend. The way that is is structured makes it very awkward, and expensive as many things seem to be with BASI.

JONNIE
Yeah, I have heard that the first of the season is in Alp du Huez, should follow on right after my training with R21. That should give me a good chance at passing first time. I just need to keep looking out for the dates so that I can book on ASAP, being in NZ the paperwork could be even more difficult to complete so hopefuly I can have my dad fill it in on my behalf! Fitness should hopefully not be a prblem after my full season plus the tignes training, Im not in the best of shape right now so I'll be building up over this season. One thing that does concern me slightly is that I only weigh in at 66kg's (at most!), so hopefully my technique will make up for the lack of weight taking me down the hill!
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
A long dead topic but I do have new info for anyone who may need it. You book onto the TT/Eurotest from a French website www.jsra.org.
You are allowed to first book on the 26th of September, dont try and book more than one test at once, they really dont like that from what Ive heard!

My training out here has gone fairly well, racing technique has not been at all easy to learn! but I am getting there, if I do fail then I would come back and compete in FIS races. Sub 100 FIS points means the eurostest is no longer a requirement, and the racing is quite good fun although I wouldnt want to spend too many seasons doing it.

Looking forward to seeing how it all pans out now!

Also dont know how true this is but apparently if you are on 100 points or less BASI exams are half price. If you are on 50 points or less you do not have to take technical exams at all. Wondering if anyone knows if this is actually true as Im not too sure BASI would be that generous!
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
R555MAC, I don't think the bit about not having to take the technical exams is true - I know of various ex-national team members who've done the courses. I don't think they have to pay course fees, but I don't know if this extends to anyone else.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
R555MAC, no idea about price, but sub-50 does not mean you get to skip the technical exams other than the Eurotest.
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
R555MAC, sub-100 points at FIS level is some ask if you haven't raced before - you'd be placed top-50 in the GB rankings for GS. Sub-50 points is pretty much inside the top 1000 racers in the world and would place you in the top 12 in the UK (taking GS points), one place ahead of Alain Baxter Very Happy
ski holidays
Random question, if i do my speed test does it last forever? tempted to do it while im young and still have both knees..
snow conditions
dulcamara, yes I believe so.
ski holidays
R555MAC, There was a sheet that Sean L gave out a couple of years ago with the exemptions for different FIS point profiles. The price reductions were at 100 and 50 points as you describe. There were some parts of the course that you could skip but I can't find the list right now.

The start order in the Eurotest is random AFAIK, if you do FIS races you will start from the back. Courses get a bit harder when 250 people have been down it before you. This means that it can take a long time to bring down your points even if you are training to that level.
ski holidays
Thanks for the replies. I am not planning on training to near the 50 point level but may go for 100 in the next few seasons. Ill just look into the costs of everything first. Baxter was here for some training, quite good fun skiing with him, shows you how hard it is to get those sort of points!

I was just asking about that as I have a friend who could realistically make it to the 50 points mark in the future and he is looking at doing some of his BASI stuff.

Just snapped my Stoeckli FIS SL skis so hopefully they have good customer service and get me a new set in time for my futher training and the tests!

Bring on Europe...
ski holidays
R555MAC, BASI courses really aren't that expensive - certainly a lot cheaper than racing and getting to 50 FIS points. Remember it's only the course fees that are discounted / free - the more expensive part of the BASI courses are the travel, accommodation, lift pass, food, etc...
snow conditions
beanie1 wrote:
R555MAC, BASI courses really aren't that expensive - certainly a lot cheaper than racing and getting to 50 FIS points. Remember it's only the course fees that are discounted / free - the more expensive part of the BASI courses are the travel, accommodation, lift pass, food, etc...

Completely agree with that.
snow report
The Alpe D'Huez Eurotests are now available for booking on the BASI website. 13 to 17 Dec 2010 and 31 Jan to 11 Feb 2011. Very Happy
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy