Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Skiing holiday - 2010

Poster: A snowHead
Hi,

I am currently trying to organize a holiday for my family for next season. The trip will be made up of 3 couples, me and wife, parents and my bro and his other half.

Last year I went to Montgenvre (as someone suggested on here), which was very good. We had good accommodation, the slopes were perfect too, and it was great for the beginners.

The issue I have is that everyone is at different stages. My mum has not taken to skiing at all but enjoys just pottering around on smaller slopes. Then my dad, wife and brothers other halfs can get down easy reds, but some are quite slow. Then me and my bro can get down anything pisted, but struggle on off piste.

So I am looking for a resort that could challenge me a little with off piste, have long and good beginners slope, and have some good reds. It does not have to be the biggest resort. I also think somewhere a bit more traditional would be good, so if my mum does not ski she can do something else.

We were also looking to have a catered/ self catered appartment/chalet and not a hotel.

The place should have a good apres ski, especially straight after skiing, up to about midnight.

Any ideas? My brother suggested Bad Gastein, but I think this may not have good enough beginner slopes. I also looked at Lech, but the prices seem sky high.

I do favour Austria as it is normally cheaper and seems to be a bit more fun and down to earth.

If anyone can help I would hugely appreciate it.

Cheers,

Oliver
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
olisav, Saalbach is great for what you're looking for. I would suggest Oberlech but if you think Lech is expensive Oberlech is no different. On the other hand Stuben is half the price of Lech and only 10 mins away - linked into the St Anton part of the Arlberg circuit and of course you have the best apres ski in the Alps in St Anton - skiable from Stuben but 10 mins away after dark - skiable back to Stuben during day. Hotel Hubertushof is a nice place as is the Mondschein www.stuben.com
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
olisav, have a look at the Gastein valley but maybe stay in Bad Hofgastein or Dorfgastein where the pistes are a bit easier. It's true that they valley is ideal for inters but the area is not without the nice blues. It should allow you and your brother to try off piste too. Hofgastein should do the trick and is linked to Bad Gastein. It has to be said though, Bad Gastein's night life is better! wink

In addition to the skiing, there's all the spa facilities in the valley too that should keep your Mum interested. There's the Alpentherme in Bad Hofgastein or the Felsentherme in Bad Gastein, both are public spas and both very good. There's loads of other stuff to try too like snow shoe walking etc. My sister went to Bad Gastein last winter, didn't ski and had a great time!

PM me if you want any more info.

Cheers
Kersh
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
olisav I agree with the Bad Gastein tip, there is plenty for your mum to do (we had ours with us) loads of spa's and thermal baths etc, Angertal is linked to Bad Gastein which has some lovely runs for the intermediates, and also some good off piste, there is a ski bus if you dont fancy skiing or boarding over.
Bad Hofgastein has more options with regards to blues and reds, but I would still base myself in Bad Gastein and get the ski bus or board over.

I'm kinda biased - we got married there in March and had 80 guests who loved the place!
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Mayrhofen would fit the bill. 200km of piste throughout the valley, with something for everybody. All the areas are easily reached by bus or train, which are free with a lift pass.

Nice town and apres ski is lively. For the non skiing days that you alluded to, Innsbruck is very nice for sightseeing and is do-able by train. In summer there are coach trips all over the place - not sure about winter though....
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
snow09bride wrote:
I'm kinda biased - we got married there in March and had 80 guests who loved the place!

No guesses how you came up with your snowHead username then! wink Congrats, where abouts in the town did you get married .... the Gruner Baum?
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Kersh wrote:
snow09bride wrote:

No guesses how you came up with your snowHead username then! wink Congrats, where abouts in the town did you get married .... the Gruner Baum?

Yep- Gruner Baum, then Silver bullet the day after for the hair of the dog! We were the ones dancing on the couches at 4.30pm!
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
snow09bride, Silver Bullet for hair fo the dog till 4.30 ...... Good work!!! Laughing Laughing The Gruner Baum is a great place, it's almost like scenery it was designed for weddings.
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Definitely have a look at Zillertal... Especially the linked Hochfuegen/Hochzillertal areas - There's about 160km of piste with a great mixture of blues, reds and blacks and plenty of opportunities to sneak off the edge of the piste without it being too scary.
Fuegen is a good place to stay - from the village you have a gondola ride to the Spieljoch Ski Area. This is quite small, which means it is pretty quiet and the snow on piste stays in excellent condition. Hochfuegen is accessible from there by ski bus (there's a bus every 15 minutes) and is well worth the ride up. Most first time visitors to this area are happy to explore the local areas (Spieljoch, Hochfuegen, Hochzillertal) however, if you wanted to ski further afield the train is free with your Superzillertal Ski Pass.
There are self catering apartments available with the option to have meals delivered or an arrangement with a nearby restaurant to eat there every night, if you wish.
Look at Redpoint Holidays www.redpoint.co.uk for a tailor made holiday...

If you would like more info, just ask.
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
SaraJ wrote:
Definitely have a look at Zillertal... Especially the linked Hochfuegen/Hochzillertal areas - There's about 160km of piste with a great mixture of blues, reds and blacks and plenty of opportunities to sneak off the edge of the piste without it being too scary.

Not sure that part of the Zillertal really meets his requirement for: "The place should have a good apres ski, especially straight after skiing, up to about midnight."

Mayrhofen would, but I suspect the rest of the Zillertal might be a bit quiet for him.
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Quote:

Mayrhofen would, but I suspect the rest of the Zillertal might be a bit quiet for him.

Was looking at more of a compromise with skiing that would suit, easy access to non-skiing days out, a few good apres bars (not like Mayrhofen, but not completely dead either), nice town, pistes not overcrowded...
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
I'd second Mayrhofen, really lively apres when you get down the gondola back in town. And a couple of away days would be ideal, 30 mins on the train and you're in Hochzillertal with its excellent mix of easyish slopes and its not too crowded.
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Am I missing something about Mayrhofen? I spent two 2 week holidays there many years ago and liked it, but that was before I discovered other better Austrian resorts. My memories are of queuing interminably for the Penken cable car and wishing the resort (particularly the Ahorn side) was more extensive. I know you can catch buses elsewhere but who wants to do that? When I discovered Leogang, there was no going back to Mayrhofen, and when I discovered magical Saalbach, there was no more staying in Leogang. Tried St Anton but didn't like it much, particularly the inconvenience and need to catch buses again. Always seemed to be returning along the same crowded piste back to town. Saalbach (now my second home) ticks all the boxes - 200km of piste, the biggest fully interlinked area in Austria, the best apres-ski, very pretty, friendly village - and last, but definitely not least, skiing from and to the accommodation with no walking and bussing (maybe I'm just lazy!). A few years ago, MSN News featured an article by Brad Tuttle, travel journalist, entitled, "In Search of the Perfect Ski Village". Out of all the hundreds in Austira, guess which one he chose! (see http://www.budgettravel.com/bt-dyn/content/article/2005/06/04/AR2005060400770_2.html )
(Advice re accommodation, travel, transfers, bars restaurants, ski-schools, etc. gladly given on request)
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
I think the only place I've been to that would fit your requirements is Kitzbuhel; great nightlife, lots of varied slopes (plus link to Ski Welt), stuff to do off slopes. The only downsides are that there is often no snow at resort level as it's very low, but plenty of runs further up. Also you may find self-catering rather tricky in Austria, it's not as common as in France. Most accommodation tends to be hotel or pension-based.
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Never been to Kitzbuhel, but I heard once that you can ski the lifts only in one direction to Pass Thurn, and then everyone has to pile into, or queue for, buses to get back. That sounds a nightmare, so maybe they've done something to improve it, which wouldn't surprise me because I'm old and so is my information. I've always wondered about that though.
snow conditions
Tatman's Tours
No problem getting from Kitz to Pass thurn and back, a cable car takes you over the valley quite impresive actually,no buses no nightmare....
latest report
Tatman's Tours wrote:
Never been to Kitzbuhel, but I heard once that you can ski the lifts only in one direction to Pass Thurn, and then everyone has to pile into, or queue for, buses to get back. That sounds a nightmare, so maybe they've done something to improve it, which wouldn't surprise me because I'm old and so is my information. I've always wondered about that though.

VERY old info Confused - no problem skiing over to Pass Thurn and back. Just as well there aren't potential difficulties like that in Saalbach though eh? wink
ski holidays
cathy Now you come to mention it, the lift system there (see independent guides if you don't want to accept what I say) is state of the art and extremely well-planned - fully joined up and lends itself to different itineraries going clockwise or anti-clockwise round the Ski Circus. Also, because there are seven separate but inter-linked ski areas, this spreads people out a bit, which helps to thin out peak season lift queues and bottle-necks. You should go there some time (unless you like lots of challenging slopes - it's more of an intermediate's paradise with just a few decent blacks).
I'm glad, and not surprised to hear that the problem affecting Kitzbuhel in times past has been resolved. This encourages me to ski there, after which I may have the temerity to comment on the resort and on what other people think of it.
Interestingly, the mountain ridge to the west of Hinterglemm, which effectively creates a barrier across the end of the Glemm Valley and renders it a cul de sac, marks the border between the Tirol and Kitzbuhel's ski area, and Salzburgerland and the Ski Circus. The Saalbach-Hinterglemm locals seem to be keener on the idea of linking up with Kitzbuhel than with Zell am See, which seems to be on the cards.
snow conditions
rolling eyes rolling eyes

Quote:
You should go there some time...

oh really? Thanks
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy