Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Which bindings?

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Hi,

I managed to pick up some ex-demo High Society FR's on here a couple of months back, I was thinking of getting some Vist Free bindings from Spyderjon as I wanted to send it to him for a tune/service anyway, but I'm just wondering if there's anything else worth looking at?

Secondly, I use a DIN of 7 - am I better with the 4-12 or 6-14 binding? I would guess the former to give me some range either way?
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Scottland, Only used Visp on demos so wasn't that concerned with which model..but they look pretty decent kit nonetheless and I'd have no qualms about them. In fact they would be at the top of a bindings list I'd be considering, I think.

If for downhill only then it is matter of personal choice, IMV.

For DIN 7, the 4-12 range looks perfect
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Are the 614s not just the same with different springs? I think they are...
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
arv, yup
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Scottland, I use the 412 set at 8 no problems. I think they are a nice binding I have them on both pairs of skis now. they do what I need them to they release when they should and I've had no prereleases. Overall seem well made. I dont know what else I can say about a binding. Oh yeah you can mix and match the colours to suit your skis. wink
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Main idea with bindings is to use them somewhere in middle of scale. They function worse when they are closer to top or on lower end of scale. Personally I'm using lately Fischer Z18 (8-18 ) bindings set to 12 (I know it sounds high, but they release only when they need to, not when vibrations during "normal" skiing are a bit bigger) and I never have problems with it. A while ago I had some test skis with Z13 bindings (4-13) also set to 12, and I had few not so nice releases when they really shouldn't release. So I would say that for setting it to 7, 4-12 option is better then 6-14.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Brilliant, thought sometwhere in the middle would be better. Vist it is then Smile
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
primoz wrote:
Main idea with bindings is to use them somewhere in middle of scale. They function worse when they are closer to top or on lower

That's certainly not the case with Vist as I've torque tested both new & well used bindings & they're spot on throughout the range. For example I've used the same Vist 816's for a good while set on 9/10 & they torque test spot on. To be fair the same can be true of the latest top end all metal offerings from Sallie & Look/Rossi although the self adjusting toe height & wing angle on some of the Sallie models ain't good. My torque machine measures to a tenth of a din & the most accurate bindings are Atomic Neox as their din scale is laser etched on after each individual binding is torque tested at the factory & they are accurate a tenth. I reckon that Vist & the top Look/Rossi's are accurate to three tenths & the top Sallie's to half a din - all pretty dammed good. Marker's biometric toe piece doesn't fair so well & often varies upto one din but their new Duke/Baron/Jester/Griffon toe piece is up there with the Vist/Look/Rossi's. I'm talking toe pieces here as pretty much all the heel pieces on the market release very accurately & consistently. BTW, I really am sad enough to spend hours testing bindings Embarassed

Scottland, the Vist 412/614/816/1018 bindings are almost the same except for the springs. I say almost as the 816/1018's have an additional fifth mounting screw in the centre of the heel piece. Theoretically they should then all be the same price but Vist charge a progressively higher price the higher the din range - or maybe they just charge less for the lower dins wink

Either the 412's or the 614's would be great however we got a great price out of Vist for a large consignment of 614's so I can do them at the same price.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Thanks for the reply spyderjon, I'll be shooting you an email in the next week or so to arrange something Smile
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Spyderjon I didn't test those things this accurately Smile It was just my feeling, so I can easily be wrong. If you say all bindings are somewhere there, then I doubt Fischer (actually Tyrolia) binding would be that much worse. So obviously my feeling was wrong Smile
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
primoz, I've had very little experience with Tyrolia bindings but the couple of higher end (Mojo15's) that I tested were very good also. I didn't say all bindings are somewhere there as the lower range bindings (ie loadsa plastic) from all the manufacturers don't fair too well.
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
spyderjon, tested any old Synaxis of late?
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Spyderjon sorry a bit of misunderstanding Smile I didn't mean every single binding, but Fischer Z18 (racing service only binding) and Z13 are not on low end of range, so I would assume they are probably not that far off from these bindings you were testing. They might not be, or they might be, as accurate as those you tested, but they are still probably somewhere in that range, so I guess it's pretty safe for me to say, I was wrong with my "feeling", why those unexpected releases at same settings happened Smile
But anyway... it's pretty interesting to read this what you wrote, especially since it's different then I expected.
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
primoz, Just a thought On the Z13's was the forward pressure set correctly? If it was not they will release when they should not, my rental tyrolia sp130 on a pair of missons seem rather sensitive to forward pressure settings as i lend them to various people and there have been a few issues with pre releases all due to the forward pressure being wrong.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy