Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Eastern European DIY Trips

Poster: A snowHead
Much as we love the world's mega resorts, Mrs MA & I love trying different ski places of all sizes and enjoy adding new ski countries to our list, which currently stands at 16 in total.

Can anybody advise on the feasibility/practicality of a DIY trip for a few days skiing in either Slovenia (flying to Ljubljana) or Bulgaria (flying to Sofia)?

In particular:
- In low season (January) could we just turn up and find digs? Are short stays a problem?
- How feasible is a road trip covering more than one ski area?

Cheers.
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Hi MA,

I am familiar with Bulgaria and in particular the Borovets area. Flying to sofia is not a problem, easyjet do the usual service daily from Gatwick at good rates. You can also fly with wizz air from Luton if that suits more.

If you are after a little road trip you could start with a day at Vitosha, skiing just out side the city limits in sofia. Probably no more than a days worth, but handy for the city and cheap. After Vitosha, you could move onto Borovets which is realistically 1hr 20mins away. There is plenty of accom. and I am sure with the surplus that was available last year, you could rent a place for less than a week. Borovets has about 55km of slopes and plenty of easy/'safe' off pisting up the top. You could easily ski the place in two days but there are some areas worth skiing a few times.

Lastly you could go to Malyovitsa for a day. The skiing is limited but it has great views an alpine feel and is a place you will be glad you visited. Also I am sure it has the cheapest on piste beer in europe. NehNeh

On a good day, BG can serve up some cracking skiing. It may not be the best in the world but it will certainly give you a different experience to the norm.

The web has all the info on the places I mentioned. Ask again if any finer details are required.

All the best

Neil Very Happy
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Chappers
That's great and much appreciated.

Never heard of Malyovitsa so that - & your suggested itinerary - sounds like just the sort of thing that appeals to us.

Being a Tignes/Val D'Isere etc regular who is used to 6 euro beers, of course the burning question is just how cheap is Europe's cheapest beer? wink (hic)!!

Supplementary questions: Is food and accommodation also cheap? I've heard 1980s tales of shady, black market money changing deals. Is that still the case?
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Slovenia is a nice place, but I've only been there for Mountain Biking, not Skiing. They were running the lifts at Bovec in early May, probably for MTBing at the mid-station and skiing on the summit (but we stayed down in the valley).
Everything is cheap. Fuel was €1/litre. Hospitality was probably the best I've seen in Europe for a long time, and they all seem to speak English, Italian and German.
Ljubljana airport is tiny, EZY go there, and right on the motorway to Kranjska Gora, Bohinj etc.
Klagenfurt is also a potential option, but you'd get stung for tunnel fee (twice) between Austria+Slovenia, plus a "Vinjeta" for Slovenia.

Anyone know anything more about the skiing? I'm definitely going back Smile
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
I've been skiing in Slovenia 3 times. I've been to Rogla, Kravec, Kransjka Gora and Vogel. I enjoyed them all and Kranjska Gora, Krvavec and Vogel are all only about 1hr apart. I would really recommend it as long as you don't get bored skiing the same piste as most of the resorts are fairly small, I think I have put some trip reports on here and have certainly commented on other threads if you do a search. I have never been to Maribor but it looked quite nice as well. I also spent 2 weeks in Jasna in Slovakia where I managed to have a great time and ski for 10 days despite it having only 34km of slopes (shocking I know Wink ). We flew to Porad for Jasna with Sky Europe
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
MA,

Accom is cheap (plenty direct from owners) and food too if you go to the right places. The beer at Malyovitsa was/is about 70p (500ml).

I have never had any problems with money changing etc. I have started to use the nationwide flex account which gives free withdrawls at bank rates.

I have plenty of pics if you fire me your email NehNeh

Chappers wink
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
I would definitely recommend Jasna. If you can get up to the top of the mountain on a clear day there is plenty of skiing. Prices are good and food much better than it was.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Thanks to all so far. Slovakia has now entered the equation!

lynseyf
beequin

Re. Jasna: How far is it from Porad? Did you hire a car? Are there any other ski areas within striking distance?

Cheers!
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
mountainaddict, have you spoken to Chalet Jora or victoriac who are snowHead? They both have places in Bansko and i'm sure they can help. Here are there websites:

Chalet Jora - www.skichaletbansko.co.uk
victoriac - www.christopherchalets.co.uk

Cheers
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
mountainaddict, I arranged a chalet independently and asked the company i arranged the chalet through to arrange transfers. Jasna is pretty close to Poprad and there is a huge Tesco near the airport that you can get the taxi to stop at to pick up a few bits and pieces for your apartment if SC.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
I've backpacked around the region, just about to do another trip on the motorbike. Love Slovenia and Croatia.
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Cheers again to all!

Quote:

Jasna is pretty close to Poprad and there is a huge Tesco near the airport

So much for a trip to Eastern Europe to experience a different culture eh? Toofy Grin Looking on the bright side, maybe I can top up my Clubcard points while I'm there.....
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
I found Slovakia " different" but Slovenia less so, quiet similar to where I've been in Austria in some respects and I've heard other people say its like Italy.
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Poprad to Jasna is about 35 minutes. We stayed at Hotel Druzba but other options looked good. www.jasna.sk is the main website.
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Hi all,

Since owning the chalet here, we would obviously recommend Bansko! Very Happy
Throughout the winter season we mainly cater for groups - Saturday to Saturday (not what you are looking for), however we have plenty of bed and breakfast contacts starting from 20 Leva per night (£9 approx) for a double room.
You could easily get the bus from Sofia for 14 Leva per person and this takes around 3 hours. Beer is now around 3 leva for 500ml both in resort and on the mountain and food is also very reasonable.

Hope this helps, let us know if you need more info.
Cheers, Jay and Laura
snow report
Chalet Jora

Thanks for your response. Can I pick your brains for more Bansko info? We are thinking of doing 4 nights & have found that a few hotels come up on Expedia. Some say: "This Bansko property is situated in the historical district, and close to Dobrinishte Ski Resort. Another attraction in the area includes Bansko Ski Resort."

Never heard of Dobrinishte......Is it worth a look? Are these hotels miles from Bansko? Or is Dobrinishte actually Bansko?
Quote:

You could easily get the bus from Sofia for 14 Leva per person

Where can I find details? All the web links I can find relate to private transfers for 100 euros Puzzled Is the bus from the airport?
latest report
mountainaddict, Try this site for loads of info on DIY trips to Bulgaria http://www.skidvd.co.uk/forum/index.php go on the forum and just ask, there are loads of people on the forum with all the info you are likely to need.
latest report
MA,

I have been to Slovenia a few times, unfortunatoly never boarded there but the country is amazing!

Where do you live as the possibilities for flights to Bled/Kranska Gora etc are not limited to Ljubjlana. Maribor is nice but it is on the other side of Slovenia (Ryanair fly there from Stansted) Saying that I drove from the Croatian border not far from maribor to Bled in under 3 hours! Bled - Kranska Gora is another hour. Eastren Slovenia is more hilly than mountainous! Go West!!!!!

Other Ryanair flight fly to Trieste in Italy (about 1.5 hours drive from airport to Bovec) or Klangunfurt in Austria is an hour from Kranska Gora and Bled. At a push if the prices are write you could also use Venice (2.5 hours to Bovec & Kranska Gora). I've never paid more than £100 for flights for two people!

Travelling around Slovenia is really easy and the roads are quiet, the people are great, food good & reasonably cheap, although after the euro introduction the prices have increased a bit. I've always booked my accommodation as I went around but not sure how that would pan out in Kranska Gora in the peak ski season! Oh and I did brave public transport on one occassion which was really good and punctual.

I would recommend Slovenia summer and winter, ive been there in December unfortunately it was the dreadful 2006/2007 year so didnt get to ride my board but it was amazing!
snow conditions
I've skied Bansko half a dozen times as the outlaws have an apartment there. Personally, I can't recommend the place for anything. If you use the search facility on this site you'll be able to form an opinion of your own. I won't go there again.
snow conditions
Mollerski!!! Go on, tell us more!! I'm really intrigued to know why you've been six times if you don't like it Puzzled Or is that where all ski sado masochists hang out??!! As long as there is (a) snow and (b) a mountain to slide about on we are likely to be happy - from snowdomes to Zermatt; from Yad Moss (Pennine (ahem) 'resort' with x1 600m drag lift) to the 3 Vallees - we're easily pleased where skiing is concerned!

Rookiemark Ta for that - just about to look up the site now.
ski holidays
mountainaddict wrote:
Mollerski!!! Go on, tell us more!! I'm really intrigued to know why you've been six times if you don't like it........

Is the answer not in the title? Or 1st line. wink

Put it this way, if a budget gaff in a Brit packed building site on the Costas is your idea of a summer hols, you'll love Bansko. It'll have sand. Madeye-Smiley
snow report
A bit late but still... Smile I'm actually living in Slovenia (just 10km NW of Ljubljana airport), so it feels great to hear everyone are happy with Slovenia Smile But personally I'm not, at least not for alpine skiing. Lifts are far from newest ones, and there's still quite lot of people skiing, so you can actually wait for quite a bit when going skiing, especially on weekends. For xc skiing, things are different, but I doubt you want to know about this Smile
But anyway... in west part of Slovenia there are 2 "big" places, and several smaller ones. One is Krvavec which is just north of airport, and about 20min drive from Ljubljana, or 15mins drive from Kranj (my home city Smile). But you can also get some private rooms in village just under Krvavec, but unless you will come there only for skiing and nothing else, I don't really recommend this Wink Other resort is Kranjska Gora. There's bunch of hotels and private rooms there, lifts, just as in Krvavec, go from blue to black, with few FIS certified courses included (Kranjska Gora is hosting men skiing WC every year). Next to that, there's about 50 or 60km of xc skiing tracks, and endless options for mountaineering.
On east side of Slovenia you have Maribor, which, even though it hosts yearly women WC races in GS and SL, is joke of a skiing resort. Courses, except for WC course are more appropriate for xc skis then for alpine skis, and lifts are from year 1960 Smile About half way between Ljubljana and Maribor (actually it's a bit closer to Maribor), there's Rogla. It's skiing center which is laying about 15km on road, and about 1000 height meters above small village. It's pretty good place with lots of different courses, and if it maters, hotel on top of Rogla and hotel and spa in village under Rogla are owned by same company, so you have free entrance to spa bellow Rogla.
These are pretty much all big skiing resorts here, but there's also whole bunch of smaller ones, with few lifts only. None of them, bigger or smaller, can compare with Ischgl, Schladming etc. but I guess prices (of tickets and hotels), can't compare either Smile Just for info, prices for tickets on previously mentioned 4 places were around 26eur/day for last winter, which is a bit cheaper then 38eur for most of Austrian resorts.
snow conditions
how reliable is snow cover in Kranjska in the second week of march? I am thinking of going for a week on 13.03.10 but a bit worried because it seems low altitude?
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy