Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Independent trip from Scotland

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Looking for suggestions for family ski trip next year. Thinking of doing it independently but will have 5 year old daughter in toe and have irrational fear of hire cars.

Here are the requirements so far -

Flying from Scotland

Sensible transfers (no hire car but any other method considered!)

One week departing around 6th February (week before mid term) OR 3rd April (Easter hols)

Family friendly accommodation (ideally hotel)

Family resort with plenty of easy ski-ing close to doorstep

Other fun things to do in resort if possible.

Have been to Austria for last 3 trips so would like a change (although transfer from Saltzurg to Zell am See on train was temptingly easy).

Any ideas would be appreciated! Many thanks in advance.
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
You can get to loads of places from Geneva, easyjet fly there direct from Edinburgh, you also have the options of Munich or Milan and Jet2 go to Chambery
This website tells you which resorts are near each airport.
http://www.j2ski.com/ski_resorts/Airports/Geneva.html
I use this site to plan train journeys
http://www.sbb.ch/en/index.htm

Good Luck!
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Lorenzo, You can fly to Grenoble from Glasgow, there's Ben's Bus transfers to either here or ADH. I can't speak for the other place, but there are several hotels either right on the village slopes or very close - the French like kids, so it's all family friendly. We have 7 free lifts in the village and 14 in all, some of which are quite red in flavour, so if the weather's bad you don't have to go high. It's great fun for the kids down here with trees, holes, jumps, streams, banks and all sorts of fun. Very Happy We are cheaper than similar places. Very Happy Very Happy Hotel le Cret will be run independently this year - it will be good family value, Hotel Les Lutins is B & B, family rooms, cosy and old fashioned, but the rooms are a good size. Hotel Les melezes is next to the nursery slope lift (literally), nice 3*, food might be too rich for kids though. there are lots of others - those are just 3 ideas for starters.
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Lorenzo,

Geneva (Easyjet/Edinburgh); PDS - Morzine, Les Gets, Avoriaz, Grand Massif

Milan/Turin (?) (Easyjet/Edinburgh); Champoluc - check out www.ski2.com maybe re transfers although sure there'll be transfer options.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Lorenzo, Have been doing the independent thing for years now as we have 3 kids and quite simply UK tour ops suck at accommodating a family of 5 without paying horrendous under occupancy supplimemts etc. Getting to Alps from Scotland is not great as I'm sure you're finding out.
I've been looking at the easyJet Edinburgh to Munich and also Lufthansa from Manchaster to Munich as it has better flight times - out early back late (plus looks like you get a load of luggage allowance). I've been looking onto Scheffau which is apparently 2 hours from Munich.
Best gateway as far as I'm concerned in Innsbruck for the best of Austrian resorts. You have some of their best resorts withing an hour or so. Kappl could be easilly reachable from Innsbruck which is highly regarded as one of the best family resorts in Austria. Cheap chalet available at www.skichalets.nl Flight into Innsbruck also rocks. You can fly from Edinburgh which I've done for the last few years with Inghams but will set you back c. £270 per flight. We went to Stuben this year as I love the Arlberg resorts - just over an hour in train from Innsbruck or around 2.5 from Zurich by train (BMI from Edinburgh). Stuben is a great wee resort that sits half way between St Anton and Zurs/Lech. Ski school was good and hardly any kids - most families tend to go to Lech but costs you at least double that of Stuben. www.stuben.com We stayed at Hubertushof and my sister stayed at the Mondschein (different weeks) - we both had a great time.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
easiski wrote:
Lorenzo, You can fly to Grenoble from Glasgow,

Are Ryanair still serving Grenoble next year? I can't see anything on Ryanair's dodgy website. Globespan stopped after last winter.

As far as I can tell next winter we have;

Jet2 > Edinburgh-Chambery
Easyjet > Edinburgh/Glasgow-Geneva
Easyjet > Edinburgh-Munich
Easyjet > Milan
BMI > Edinburgh-Zurich

Any others?
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
There still seems to be Prestwick> Bergamo which is useable.

For non hire car transfers I would go for Geneva or Zurich and Swiss Rail which connects pretty well with most resorts in Switzerland though you may have to get a post bus for the last few miles for a few.
Swiss hotels are generally pretty good though maybe not quite such good value as Austrian ones.

A friend of mine had a great family holiday in Crans Montana which is reachable from Geneva and should have most of the attributes the original poster was looking for.
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
scottishskier, It was there when I last looked a couple of weeks ago. For this region Chambery is also good.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
easiski,
Suggested it as an airport a few days ago on another thread and it certainly seems to have dissapeared.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
T Bar, Oh - bobbles Twisted Evil
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
T Bar wrote:
easiski,
Suggested it as an airport a few days ago on another thread and it certainly seems to have dissapeared.

It might only be off the site temporarily as their ski flights work on a winter schedule basis only. They don't have Glasgow Prestwick - Turin or Edinburgh - Turin as these are also both ski flights that operate in the winter only.
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
jb1970,
Possible, but in the past when they have had flights that are not currently active they have still had them on their routes.
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy