Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Board recommend-O!

Poster: A snowHead
Apologies for this being one of over 9000 threads saying 'what should I buy', but - well - what should I buy?

I'm a MAN (arguably), 6'1", about 85 or 90kg in me stockinged feet I think. "Intermediate" (do red runs at 'reasonable' pace, can ride switch a bit), not terribly interested in park stuff. Although principally a skier, I want my own snowboarding get-up as a) quite like trying loads of different skis and am happy to continue renting but b) have noticed that rental boards are always knackered and since c) boards are quite cheap compared to skis, I d) want one.

It being summer, there are some bargains around that I've seen as places clear last winter's stock. Would anybody like to recommend me a board+bindings that might be gettable for about - oooh - £200 to £300?

Me being me, I can't even remember what length I rode last weekend at Hemel, let alone what I was on in the actual winter...

Oh, I also have quite big feet. UK 10.

Apologies for the random application of both metric and imperial measures there by the way. I love being British.
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
paulio, boots first, then bindings/board.

boots - loads of threads, but try on loads and get comfy ones. (maybe if you can get some 'reduced footprint' boots? see below) buy your boots before your bindings.

at a uk ten you're pretty much on the cusp of a wide board. i think you should look for a waist of a min of 252/255. i reckon you want a 160-165 for general all mountain hoonery, maybe a little shorter if you're going to play a lot in the parks/fridges.

try
http://www.snowboard-clearance.com/

icon wallpaper 164 for £145?
volkl sting 161 for £140?

enjoy Very Happy
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Thanks man. Boots are in hand. I understand them a bit better than I understand boards themselves!

I'd been looking at a Ride Decade in a 160cm. But I think that might be a tad on the short side...

I have no intention of becoming a park rat. I'd rather be in the wild. Well, on the piste.
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
paulio, habving thought about it, the one i fancied was the terry kidwell model stepchild board..... ignoring that volkl selecta
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
salomon sick stick, or some rocker board. I wouldnt go more than 160 because over 160 makes you look gay. I was really impressed with how easy the 09/10 ride option was to use, not as good as the custom though but then I'm a burton whore Laughing

paulio, park rats in the wild is where its at Wink
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Don't get a board under 160 because you'll never keep up with skiers. Decade I'd have thought is a decent board but then I haven't bought a board in a few years so am off the pace a bit.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Based on the above two posts I have to get a board that is precisely 160cm long.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
paulio, exactly, but over 160 makes you look gay but keeping up with skiers will also make you look gay so I would go 159 Wink
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
fatbob, you talk rubbish. Mr L rides a 156 and outpaces all the skiers I know.
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Reckon I'm going to have to organise some kind of testing scenario at a fridge before I splash any money. Stupid brain, why can't I remember what I was on in February? It's not like it was ages ago!
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Does anyone think that a 156 is too short for my height/girth combo?

stab - I'm going to ignore your 'over 160' rule of thumb Smile
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Lizzard wrote:

But he'd outpace them even more on a man sized board wink Has he never been tempted by a nice swallowtail for La Grave?

Seriously though for general freeriding if you're a reasonable size a longer board is a bit less twitchy IMV - as I've said I'm a bit out of tune with market trends but it seems to me that board ranges stocked in the UK tend toward the shorter maybe because they sell for indoor use and the freestyle dream rather than day in/out riders.
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Go big - 160 plus, you will need it to haul your lardy back bottom over the the powder with more ease Laughing
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
paulio wrote:
Does anyone think that a 156 is too short for my height/girth combo?

stab - I'm going to ignore your 'over 160' rule of thumb Smile

I tried a 154 and found it too short for mach speeds, I'm 6 foot and 12 stone. I also took a 156 freestyle board with insane rocker out and while it was useless at speed on piste for off piste it was amazing. 62cm stance and I floated like a butterfly. From that I decided I needed to claw some on piste speed back and a mild rocker was somewhere inbetween so bought a 157 custom V as my off piste/dickabout weapon.
Riding a 167 custom was like riding a canoe, off piste was great and mach speeds were there (80-90kph) but freestyle was difficult.
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
I'm completely unable to find any summer-sale boots in my size, so the 'buying snowboarding gear' plan is now officially OFF.

Sad
latest report
paulio, try buying some not in your size then, you will feel much better Very Happy
snow conditions
yeah, that doesnt stop skiers.
snow report
As it happens my ski boots are a full size too big for me, because I'm a dickhead.
snow report
yey summer abuse has started !
latest report
Lizzard wrote:

They are not very fast skiers then, or your fella is a pro. Ski's in the right hands are quicker. Some bloke on a 156 is not going to take a high standard skier out.
snow report
These kind of threads are massively irritating, sorry.

What do the panel think of a Rome Agent (with Rome 390 bindings) for an intermediate piste wally like me? I think it looks a bit 'freestyle' which isn't my bag, but then again I'm probably still too crap to really get subtle distinctions like 'freestyle oriented'. OR AM I?
snow report
I'm in a fairly comical eBay situation with that Rome kit where I'm the winning bidder on both the board and bindings (separate auctions) but the binding auction finishes first by about 20 minutes.

I think I know what's going to happen here. I'm going to win some bindings, and be outbid on the board Smile

It's a start I suppose.
snow conditions
Outbid, on both items, during literally the final second of both auctions. Shenanigans!
snow report
paulio wrote:
Outbid, on both items, during literally the final second of both auctions. Shenanigans!

Sniping software - do any suckers actually bid on ebay without it these days for anything they really want? wink
snow conditions
Sniping software is for tossers.

I'm awaiting my scam email with interest now, though.
ski holidays
Not sure what brand you would be after, I ordered a Rossignol board for my brother's birthday last week. I got him Rossignol 'The One' board, down from £299.99 to £99.99! He loved the board - but wants some matching bindings now!

http://skiwear4less.com/acatalog/Rossignol_The_One_Snowboard.html
snow conditions
Do Rossi make good boards? They make good skis, but their boards don't seem to get a lot of press.
latest report
paulio, they make some nifty swallowtails, I almost got one last season but it was way too short.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
any one know where I can get some snipping software ? wink
ski holidays
For £99 i'm half tempted myself. quite fancy a shorter board for fridges and keep my 162 for open spaces and powder days.
...and rayscoops, I know a doctor who's well practiced in snipping software, though it may alter your stance for a few days. Toofy Grin
ski holidays
Richard_Sideways, Laughing i never could spell !!
snow conditions
If you want to try some boards out before you buy then Tam has some demos coming up, check out -> http://www.snowdome.co.uk/whats-new/events/two-seasons-snowboard-demo/

or -> http://www.snowdome.co.uk/whats-new/events/the-big-bang-snowboard-show/

As far as the Ride Decade is concerned I had one from new a couple of years back and really liked it, have now got a proper twin (my inner rat is showing Smile)
ski holidays
I think, when I finally grow a pair and stump up the cash to buy a board, I'm going to go true twin. This despite having no interest in the 'park' or 'busting out radical jibs' whatsoever. I just equally like riding both ways round (this isn't a tacit admission to being bisexual).
latest report
paulio, but directional boards are so designed for a reason wink
snow conditions
rayscoops, check out bidnip.com
snow report
paulio,
im 88kg and use size 10 boots
im using a 157 k2 darkstar
im going to look at a never summer next year
snow report
paulio, true twin gets a bit funky straight lining but you get used to it. I only do true twin these days, had a brief spell on directional twin but true twin is where its at for me.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy