Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Which Ski Bag?

Poster: A snowHead
It looks like I am going to be taking a couple of pairs of skis with me for the first time this year and I do not have the first idea about ski bags!

I don't want to pay a fortune if a cheaper one/pair will do just fine, but I also don't want to risk wrecking the skis on thier first outing.

Can anyone recommend a particular make/model, or let me know which to avoid?

Cheers wink
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Paul Holland, My advice is to go for a double ski bag, that way u can double up on the skis saving on airport charges! Dont worry too much about the bag, its how u wrap the skis inside that will determine whether the skis survive or not.

That, and the whim of baggage handlers, who may or may not have had a good day, and may or may not think it funny to return your skis to you in twice as many pieces as you gave them in as!

Having said that, have been on 4 holidays, with most people taking skis, and we have never had a problem with damages, just one pair got delayed, and they were snowblades so... NehNeh !!
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Many "single" ski bags will actually fit two pairs in if you try hard enough!!

I bought a cheap ski bag, and pad the skis out with luggage (which helps protect them).
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Thanks all.

I'd never really considered that putting 2 pairs in one bag would mean only one charge! It gets even better if I stuff lots of undies and things around them Madeye-Smiley Do they weigh the skis at check in?

Mind you, one of our group lost the end of his bag (and the end of his skis!) at Toulouse a couple of years ago... I can see now the long trail of my smalls across the tarmac rolling eyes
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Bev used bubble wrap on our skis at Christmas and it was really effective for protecting them. I think you have to regard the ski bag as the "sacrifice layer" as they certainly take a hammering.

We use a padded Atomic double bag while Jon has a single unpadded Fischer one. No apparent difference in effectiveness. I would be doubtful about packing wanted stuff round skis as the edges and sticky out bits wreck the stuff around the skis. Hence the bubble wrap.
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Definitely invest in some bubblewrap: make a "sock" of wrap to go over the tips, and another to go over the tails; then wrap plenty round the bindings as well. You could pack in some old tea-towels as well but I don't usually bother. They never seem to weigh the bag at check-in so in theory you can jam in as much as you like.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Chris Bish wrote:
Bev used bubble wrap on our skis at Christmas and it was really effective for protecting them. I think you have to regard the ski bag as the "sacrifice layer" as they certainly take a hammering.

Puzzled How could you know ? What sort of control did you perform on this? Wrap one ski up and not the other? Very Happy
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Don't bother with any protection - in 25 years of ski holidays I've never had my skis or poles damaged.
If you want to take 2 pairs of skis (or more) plus some extra luggage consider using a snowboard bag; lots of extra room and they are more rigid, offering a bit of protection.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
John Scott wrote:
Don't bother with any protection - in 25 years of ski holidays I've never had my skis or poles damaged.
If you want to take 2 pairs of skis (or more) plus some extra luggage consider using a snowboard bag; lots of extra room and they are more rigid, offering a bit of protection.

You don't surprise me, they're desgined to be chucked down a mountain at speed with a bloke stood on them who only takes excercise one week a year, you'd think they'd stand up to a bit or air travel Very Happy
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
First time I used a soft ski bag they managed to punch the tips out of the end of the bag. I use the plastic ski boxes with wheels. Two pairs of skis in a single box or four pairs in a double box which is a tight fit. You need the wheels as four pairs of skis weigh a bit.
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
John Wells and others... don't get one of those (a SporTube) if you have touring bindings (ie Fritschis) - even one pair of skis won't fit in a single box ... however hard you try Puzzled
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Paul Holland wrote:
Thanks all.

I'd never really considered that putting 2 pairs in one bag would mean only one charge! It gets even better if I stuff lots of undies and things around them Madeye-Smiley Do they weigh the skis at check in?
I've never seen ski bags or tubes weighed. They usually go (you have to hump them) straight into a big wire cage trolley after the baggage tag goes on at check-in. I've padded my skis with salopettes but take care if your edges are really sharp. There is also the risk that if your skis do get lost in transit so are your pants so it's going to cost to get out on the slopes in any comfort wink
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
the ice perv, Bubblewrap won't be a problem. We accidentally over ordered at work and now have enough to last us approximately 4000 years!
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Paul Holland, Make sure you 'personalise' your bag (bright tape maybe)....ease finding it at baggage reclaim. Ski bags make ideal laundry bags for the trip home......
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
easyJet often weigh skis at check in...but that's because they are generous enough to allow you an extra 10KG of sports equipment.
latest report
Elizabeth B, thanks for that - 10kgs is going to be 1 pair of skis, at the most (or do I just have heavy skis?)
snow report
ise, Comparing the damage to the ski bags caused by internal nibblings by the skis with that caused by same skis to same bags when Jon and I went on our own (i.e. without Bev's supervision) at Easter.

But hey, I'm not a scientist! Blush
snow report
Paul Holland, I've been surfing the net for 2 weeks comparing and contrasting - and it's amazing how much the same ski bag varies in price and postage costs. I guess at the end of the day, it's like anything, you get what you pay for but unbranded are cheapest. I came across www.nevisport.com they had the cheapest, padded, extendable bag (160 -190) £24.99 + £2.95 pp. because it’s their own brand. Ski bags have been going on ebay for some ridiculous prices, far more than they are new in the shops, but that’s auctions for you! I guess the most important issues are: Padding around the binding area if you feel you need it (otherwise, as others have suggested, just pack stuff around them). Making sure it’s long enough. Having a carrying/shoulder strap. A full length zip if your skis are long. Compression straps to make sure nothing moves about. After that it’s a case of personal choice about colour, how designer-name conscious you are, and how much you want to spend fulfilling that!!!

We have never yet paid for carriage on our skis or boots, nor have we ever been asked at the airport to do so, we only fell for paying the 1st holiday we ever booked. We just walk up to the gate for skis and hand them over with all the others doing the same. We have never quite understood why this happens, but we aren't going to ask! But the later you check in the more weight conscious the airline becomes!
snow report
sharon1953, Thanks. I've also been looking around just about everywhere. Nevisport do seem to cheap in other respects too - The Skis my partner is getting are £280 at EB and Snow n rock, but are £220 in Nevisport. I just wonder if there's a catch Puzzled
snow report
kuwait_ian wrote:
Paul Holland wrote:
Thanks all.

I've never seen ski bags or tubes weighed. They usually go (you have to hump them) straight into a big wire cage trolley after the baggage tag goes on at check-in. I've padded my skis with salopettes but take care if your edges are really sharp. There is also the risk that if your skis do get lost in transit so are your pants so it's going to cost to get out on the slopes in any comfort wink

I notice that Crystal this year say that ski carriage is limited to 6kg. I've never seen skis weighed before, and have always packed loads of other gear in the ski bag as well.
snow report
Paul Holland wrote:
The Skis my partner is getting are £280 at EB and Snow n rock, but are £220 in Nevisport. I just wonder if there's a catch Puzzled

Check that the price quoted isn't per ski. I bought a pair of ski poles from them last year, and they tried to charge me £20 per pole rather than £20 for the set. Their reasoning...well, walking poles are priced individually rolling eyes
latest report
I've bought 2 sets of skis from Nevisports viz Atomic C9s (last year at £143, end of season - but I got 2 weeks out of them over the Easter hols) and Atomic C7 (this year at £165). Both times, Nevisports have been very efficient and have delivered the skis quickly (the C7s were ordered Sunday night & delivered Wed afternoon).
ski holidays
Wear The Fox Hat, I took two sets to Meribel (SL and GS), weighing 15kgs. No problem at Gatwick, but they were weighed in Geneva. Still got on the plane tho........ snowHead
snow conditions
An alternative to bubblewrap (and clothes) is to go to an upholsterers and get some foam they use to put into seat cushions (as opposed to back cushions). My local shop cut pieces for me to fit my bag and the skis are almost "damage proofed".

The prob with stuffing gear round your skis is that the bags can get left on trolleys in the rain or snow at airports and you arrive in resort to find that your clothes are, well, interesting to wear !!
ski holidays
Elizabeth B, Easyjet weighed ours last week, and also included our boot bags in the 10kg allowance, making us well over the weight. They didn't charge us however, as we were well under the standard luggage allowance. My answer will be to buy a holdall that takes my boots too, then they won't know I'm carrying ski boots. However, on the return flight, they weighed the botts with the rest of the luggage, but didn't even bother with the skis.
snow report
Helen, last time I travelled easyJet, my ski boots were in my main suitcase (in a bootbag so they could easily become hand luggage), my board boots were in a carry bag with my snowboard and my skis were in their own bag. I fully expected to have to pay for the skis or snowboard, but despite weighing everything (and being over the limit) they didn't charge anything.
latest report
I use an old foam kip mat taped around the skis with the ends folded over inside my ski bag, then an additional layer of clothes. Stuff a few thermals or socks in the ends of the bag to prevent the tip damage.
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy