Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

New Zealand - Ski in September

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Given the amazing prices on flights, I'm heading back home to NZ at the start of September to do some skiing. However, I've never skiied in the NZ so need some guidance on where best to focus my time!

I'll be flying into Christchurch. Having done a quick search on the web it seems the best skiing is to be found on the club fields around Methven and not necessarily worth heading down to Queenstown/Wanaka? I'll have roughly 7 days available for skiing so would basing myself at Methven be a good thing and rotate between Cragieburn, Broken River and some of the heli-skiing sites... the latter of which I really fancy? The HeliPark sounds an interesting concept - any guys here have any experience of it?

Had a laugh when I googled skiing in NZ in Sep and found:
http://www.gayskiweeknz.com/

as a single male traveller heading out skiing at the same time, looks like I might be able to have a cheap time if I dress up pretty Laughing Laughing Laughing
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
your plan is sound - Mt Hutt should be fun in September, and staying at Broken River is a hoot. take old gloves.

the skiing on Ruepahu on the North Island really starts coming into its own in September too, should that be an option? Enjoy the food, wine and beer too - there's some fine stuff to be sampled.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
It's probably worth keeping an eye on the snow reports and weather forecasts and making some plans nearer the time based on those.

September in Canterbury, where the clubbies are can have great weather and snow, but it can also get hammered by North Westerly storms. If that's happening, it would probably be worth heading further south, to Mackenzie (Dobson, Fox, Ohau) or to Queenstown or Wanaka, where the dreaded norwesters aren't usually as bad.

It's a maximum 5 hour drive from Christchurch to Queenstown, and it's very scenic, so no real drama if you need to travel round a bit.

But if it's on, do the clubbies.

I've not been to Helipark (yet wink ) but one of my mates went, scored it, and basically didn't speak for the next two days due to the permanent silly grin on his face.

If you are going to ride at the club fields, it might be worth getting a chillout multi day pass, the 5 days ones work out cheaper than day tickets. www.chillout.co.nz
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Thanks Gents for the info; especially about the potential storms to look out for. I'll pick up the Chillout pass - looks to be the best option for me.

Ruapehu could be a possibility - my schedule is free enough that I could take a look at the snow reports a couple of days before I leave to make the final decision. The sites near Christchurch would be most convenient for me but nothing will be ruled out Happy

Looking forward to a few beers and one or two bottles of kiwi Sav blanc. Roll on September!
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
MorganW wrote:

Looking forward to a few beers and one or two bottles of kiwi Sav blanc. Roll on September!

there's some spectacular pinot noirs too Smile
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Quote:

Given the amazing prices on flights, I'm heading back home to NZ at the start of September

Given the early season snow reports I thought I'd have a look at some NZ flights for the summer. Does "amazing" prices mean £1100 Shocked - 'cos that's what my searches were bringing up????? What sort of dates are the amazing prices then? And with whom?
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
mountainaddict wrote:
Quote:

Given the amazing prices on flights, I'm heading back home to NZ at the start of September

Given the early season snow reports I thought I'd have a look at some NZ flights for the summer. Does "amazing" prices mean £1100 Shocked - 'cos that's what my searches were bringing up????? What sort of dates are the amazing prices then? And with whom?

I think the Singapore airlines deals all got bagged pretty quickly by the kiwi population of the UK - by the time I'd had an email from a flight site alerting me to the offer they weren't showing any reasonable dates in September.
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Quote:

Given the early season snow reports I thought I'd have a look at some NZ flights for the summer. Does "amazing" prices mean £1100 - 'cos that's what my searches were bringing up????? What sort of dates are the amazing prices then? And with whom?

Not in September, but a mate at work booked up flights at the beginning of the week with Singapore Airlines, leaving mid Feb 2010 (London – Christchurch via Singapore, return mid March) for £379 per person inclusive of all taxes and charges. Quite amazing really. He said he had to jiggle around the flight dates a bit to get the price that low, but I was quite staggered when he showed me.
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
there's also pretty damn good business class fares. For instance, GBP1,800 for biz class on Cathay Pacific to Auckland.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Queenstown. If weather is bad just enjoy a night at Winnies. the best club on earth. Otherwise The Remarkables, Coronet Peak and Cardrona are three of the best resorts in NZ and within reach in Queenstown
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Hey there just come in on the conversation - Sept skiing at the Canterbury Club fields can be AWESOME - fantastic spring skiing. yes can be norwestry but note that Broken River is pretty sheltered from the norwests - doesn't get the winds and often is far enough east of the rain. Very cruisey time of the year up at Broken River - make sure you take some steak to throw on the Barbie at Palmer Lodge (day lodge on the field) - a very social place to hang out and meet people.

Broken River opens this Saturday WAHOO - they have a passenger lift - a funicular railway- to carry people up through the forest to the accommodation huts from the carpark. Its new this year - QUITE a ride - I got to experience it last week when I went up there to visit the staff.
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
So is there no walk in at BR any more?

That's cool!

I love BR, living in Queenstown at the moment, which is cool, but keen as to move back to Canty next year and get back to the clubbies!
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
You can still walk up to BR if you want to, but the Goods Lift has been upgraded to carry passengers and their gear. Will carry 5 people plus gear in one go - 4 mins from the carpark to the ticket office. Will get you up skiing faster and its quite a different start to the day! Yes there is something different about the Club fields - missed this when I lived overseas.
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Quote:

there's also pretty damn good business class fares. For instance, GBP1,800 for biz class on Cathay Pacific to Auckland.

Must admit it's the easyjet sale that gets my pulse racing....Would all snowHead who are tempted by this bargain offer care to make themselves known?

Have I unwittingly signed up to a millionaires' club Puzzled
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy