Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

ESF to recruit more British instructors

Poster: A snowHead
Info via Natives.

Maybe ESF is responding to the growing number of Brit-run ski schools operating in many of the large French resorts.
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
rob@rar, you have a time machine and you've teleported to April 1st Laughing Laughing
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
ssnowman, Laughing
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
rob@rar, See Eric's got his nose in! He's a miserable ***! I have real problems with the idea of brits working for the ESF TBH since it was their union who caused all the problems in the first place, and it's their union with it's influence over ENSA who prevent the snowboard instructors working here without national ski teacher qualifications. I was here then and involved with BASI and Bob Kinnaird in the early days of trying to get BASI exams accepted by the French etc.

However, I've mentioned before that the ESF are keen to employ foreign instructors.

The problem seems to be that many of the non ISTDs resent being called 'stagiares'. I don't see the problem myself - the pay would be about the same as in Austria or Switzerland - just the french are more honest.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
The ESF in Tignes have always employed Brits and other nationalities. I believe Ali Ross worked for them many years ago.

Whilst it appears to be good news, if you are not fully qualified, you will still need Test Technique to work.
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
easiski, I'm with you (although all I care about is my apartment rental clients being happier) - I'm not an instructor and have no aspirations in that noble direction. Why should a French Union/franchise be able to call any shots? It's a little like MacDonalds being able to force EU legislation on the quality of French hamburgers.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Quote:
It's a little like MacDonalds being able to force EU legislation on the quality of French hamburgers.

is that not what happens anyway Laughing
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
this was in the BASI newsletter a few weeks ago and it was also reported that there have been a few "irregularities" with the Test Technique and lots of complaints by Foreigners taking it....
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
CEM, actually, no, it's still MRM. But the French did insist on them selling wine.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
stewart woodward wrote:
The ESF in Tignes have always employed Brits and other nationalities. I believe Ali Ross worked for them many years ago.

Hi Stewart
Is that Brit or Brits Very Happy

Have you been a naughty boy Stewart Toofy Grin Toofy Grin Toofy Grin
Quote fro the article
We were the first UK TO to use an alternative ski school in Tignes and my car tyres were all punctured. Fortunately for us the person responsible was a) still wearing his ESF jacket and b) witnessed by several people.

And I notice the news article say English speaking "not" British ???

Oh yeah it also say says
France is the holy grail for instructors
No it ain't Mad
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Wayne, I agree - I don't think we earn any more than any other place on the continent where there are full time, professional, fully qualified instructors (I include all of this on purpose to make it clear). A friend who used to work in the States earned about the same as me + tips! My turnover wouldn't light many candles in the UK - never mind my net profit! Shocked
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
I think people may be mixing up two stories here. This one (which there was a press launch for on Tuesday in London) is about the ESF wanting to recruit 250 fully qualified (ie ISTD) BASI instructors as they recognise their clients want native English speakers.

The other story (I think the one in the BASI news) is that the EU Commission has ruled that there is no reason for stagiares to be restricted to the ESF, and so British ski schools operating in the Alps, and non-ESF French ski schools, will all be able to employ stagiares moving forward. I don't think the full criteria has been agreed yet, but it may differ from the current criteria the ESF have (Test Technique).
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
beanie1, Some Non ESF schools already have stagieres but the French have not issued any non ESF Schools with Centre du Formation status for some time..... New Gen for instance has tried and failed to get CdF status...

My take on the BASI newsletter article was that BASI were pushing to get a stagiere type of system of their own through British owned European schools while people were training through BASI. I could be very wrong of course and i am sure your source of info will be better wink
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
skimottaret, yup, that's pretty much what it'll be. THe other French union (for the non-ESF schools) is on their side as it will make it much easier for them too.
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
beanie1, The natives artical said:
"Eric Gravier, representing all 250 ESF schools and director of the ESF in Les 2 Alpes, said, “Ideally candidates will need to have their international diploma (ISTD), but if not they can come and finish their training with the ESF. Regardless, we all have the same qualifications now so we should work together for the benefit of our guests.” "

The European Ski School here in LDA is a major thorn in the side of the ESF. Shocked
latest report
easiski, well I guess they're going to struggle to recruit 250 ISTDs, so will be keen to take British stagiares too.
ski holidays
beanie1, Exactly - they won't be able to find anything like that number, so aspiring full timers should apply - the training will be good as will the exposure to the french language. I really think that all current part-timers should do as much race training as possible on the dry slopes and snowdomes to be able to get the TT. Very Happy
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy