Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Gulmarg in 2010

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Hi Everyone,

Another Snowheads newbie...

I'm thinking of heading to Gulmarg in India in 2010...supposed to have excellent powder skiing.

Does anyone have any recent (2008-09) experience and update on skiing, lodging, facilities, safety?

Thanks for your help.
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Contact Nick Parks, he's around here from time to time, if not try:
http://www.mountaintracks.co.uk/about/nick
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
SMALLZOOKEEPER,
Thanks. I think a friend of mine from Vermont skied with Nick a couple of years ago in Chamonix...I'll check him out.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Last season there was trouble in the resort. I posted about it last season.

http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?p=1001734&highlight=gulmarg#1001734
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Hi Mike and thanks smallzookeeper for giving me an opportunity to tell you about Gulmarg.
Yes, Mike you're absolutely right Gulmarg does have excellent powder skiing... but I'd like to start by dealing with stanton's post. The security situation in Kashmir is clearly a serious consideration for anyone contemplating visiting Gulmarg. However having now skied in Gulmarg for past two seasons I have to say that neither I or any of the 40 guests who have visited Kashmir with Mountain Tracks have experienced anything on the ground to feel even remotely concerned by the security situation. Of course it is not for everyone to visit a disputed state sandwiched between two nuclear armed powers grappling with terrorism problems. But quite frankly I feel more at risk in London, Madrid or New York than Srinigar. My experience is that after 20 years of troubles 99.99% of Kashmiri's are delighted to see tourists return are I have been warmly welcomed everywhere.

I believe that currently Gulmarg is the World's ultimate lift accessed backcountry powder destination. A bold statement but as a guide with over 30 years in the business and the luck to have skied all over the world I have no doubt Gulmarg is right up there. Why? Three reasons:
1/. A reliable snow record; when it snows in Kashmir it really snows.
2/. The terrain on Apherwhat mountain is simply phenomenal; from 4100m-1700m with more slopes than the whole Chamonix valley put together, it has it all - ridges, bowls, couloirs and tree skiing I could write a whole book about.
3/. Most crucial to me, Gulmarg gives you the opportunity to put fresh tracks in all day everyday, well that's my experience of skiing 35 days there. Yes we get powder days in Europe but most big resorts are tracked out by 11am, that's if you made it up the mountain and weren't trampled in the rush for the first lift!

In that last point lies my biggest concern for Gulmarg; that it becomes too popular for the infra-structure. However the Jammu and Kashmir government have recognised the importance of the resort to the states economy and each year improvements are being made for example to ensure the power supply for the gondola and clean water for the hotels and restaurants. Highly significantly they are funding an avalanche safety programme for the mountain by employing two avalanche professionals each season in a collaboration with the Treble Cone ski field in New Zealand.

Just on skiing grounds alone Gulmarg warrants a visit but on top of this you're in India with all its cutural diversity, colour and of course cuisine. Love it and hate it for sure but there's no chance of a dull moment.

For the full picture try clicking on http://ski-gulmarg.co.uk or pick up the phone and speak to us Mountain tracks
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
helinick wrote:
However having now skied in Gulmarg for past two seasons I have to say that neither I or any of the 40 guests who have visited Kashmir with Mountain Tracks have experienced anything on the ground to feel even remotely concerned by the security situation. Of course it is not for everyone to visit a disputed state sandwiched between two nuclear armed powers grappling with terrorism problems. But quite frankly I feel more at risk in London, Madrid or New York than Srinigar.

With all that ski time in Gulmarg you did not learn to spell Srinagar Very Happy

Last edited by You'll need to Register first of course. on Sat 13-06-09 18:46; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
stanton, and you cant spell In Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
you guys need to get out more
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
stanton wrote:
Last season there was trouble in the resort. I posted about it last season.

http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?p=1001734&highlight=gulmarg#1001734

or did you mean this:
http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?p=1159985&highlight=gulmarg#1159985
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
An other source of comprehensive information on slopes, safety and lodging in Gulmarg.

[/url]http://www.freeskihimalaya.com/English/English.htm
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy