Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

GAP YEAR HELP PLEASE! :)

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Hi, im wanting to go to canada for my gap year and work out there. I was planning on doing an instructors course but it looks like that would cost too much money and i wouldnt get as much time to ski. I have a place at a uni for 2010 so i can still apply for a visa through bunac. however some of my mates that wanted to come with me arnt going to uni, does this mean that theyr too late to apply for a visa or can they get one through another means as oppose to bunac?

Id just like to know where to start in terms of organising this and whether anyone had done this and could recommend good companies to go with and any other advice would be very helpfull.

Thanks, will Very Happy
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
aitken_w, I think if you are young enough you can get a short term working visa. I'm old so I cant Twisted Evil
I can get a skilled persons visa though as they seem to have a skills shortage. Funny that the work I am not intending to do gets me my ski bum visa though Madeye-Smiley
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
aitken_w,

Good Luck with your travels aitkin_w but before you go you might like to have a look at www.gapyear.com if you haven't already?

This company was set up by a friend of ours and it's packed with invaluable information covering just about everything about gap years for you and preparing your family before you set off on your adventure! Ski / Board info is there too!
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
aitken_w, welcome to snowHeads snowHead
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
something you may want to consider when going to canada is the legal drinking age. As you are about to go to uni I assume you are 18/19 (maybe not the case). Obviously you are too young to legally drink there and using fake ID can get you into serious trouble. This is all based on the assumption you are underage and intend on enjoying the odd night out during the season. North America is sometimes better left until you are 21, if you enjoy a night out or apres ski with a few beverages.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
R555MAC wrote:
something you may want to consider when going to canada is the legal drinking age. As you are about to go to uni I assume you are 18/19 (maybe not the case). Obviously you are too young to legally drink there and using fake ID can get you into serious trouble. This is all based on the assumption you are underage and intend on enjoying the odd night out during the season. North America is sometimes better left until you are 21, if you enjoy a night out or apres ski with a few beverages.

BC drinking age is 19, Alberta 18, least it was earlier this year. And has been every year I've been going.

Not that getting asked for ID is a frequent hassle for me.............................

John.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Ah, didnt realise this. Last time I was in BC I was 17 and told Id have to wait years...obviously not the case. Get ID in the UK constantly now, new rule of asking everyone who looks under 21, 25 in Scotland!
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
People still go out to BC not knowing and expecting to drink at 18, and with Canada's draconian take on the matter have a very dry trip. You can't even sit in a bar, with a "soft" drink, only family restaurants, 'till you're of age.

Happy birthday, by the way.

John.
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
A canadian gap year would be cool. I did mine in Mexico, with Aventure Gap Year Projects, but I reckon that would've been very different to a time in the Rockys! A great gap year guide can be found on the bbc website too.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
BCjohnny wrote:
People still go out to BC not knowing and expecting to drink at 18, and with Canada's draconian take on the matter have a very dry trip. You can't even sit in a bar, with a "soft" drink, only family restaurants, 'till you're of age............

More here.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
achilles, Love the readily accessible rule - obviously BC residents are such lushs that having an unopened 6 pack of beer on the passenger seat would instantly turn them into George Best.
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
BCjohnny, spoilt the holiday in Whistler a bit for us, as we had two teens who had been allowed in everywhere we went in Alberta, but were thrown out of the GLC at 7.30. Even in some restaurants we had to sit in family areas with very small kids.
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Hi guys! Aitken_w, if you're still looking for a company to help you organise your stay in Canada, I'd recommend having a look at the Projects Abroad website (http://www.projects-abroad.co.uk/). They're great at organising all sorts of volunteer projects and internships abroad. I went on a water sports project with them two years ago, and had the time of my life there Smile I hope you can find something useful for yourself too! Smile
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Mikie, That's nice I hope you have an objective and non biased report of your experiences with this fantastic company. Do they do tinned ham based projects?
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
fatbob, Sounds to me that Mikie, recommended a type of VSO organisation. I think the OP wanted to be a bum for the gap year and may be do a ski course!

No doubt an altruistic organisation.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy