Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Queenstown snow reports 09

Poster: A snowHead
snowing down low today, below the gondola in town, and metservice have issued a snow warning for southland to 400m tonight Very Happy
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
It has been a good fall. 40cm at Coronet Peak in the last couple of days. 15cm since yesterday at the Remarkables it is back to winter down here. The forecast for the next few days is sunshine, light winds and cool temperatures so time to get up the mountain.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well here are a few shots from last weekend

Looking up the M1 to the top of the mountain

Looking across the Eight Basin

The base lodge. The snow line is just below the building and has just been low enough. There has been 40cm of new snow since this was taken and the snow line is now almost to the valley floor.

Looking up to the Big Air jump. I hope Hang11 got some good aerial shots.

latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
I got a few decent pics, I'll post some later - I'll be in your last pic, just by the snow gun at the top of the blue fence, to the left of the jump.

Had a cracker of a day at Coronet today, snow was great, not too crowded. We were going to head over to Ohau for the weekend, but it seemed like a waste of petrol with Queenstown being this good.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Had the last two mornings at Coronet and spring is really here. Hardly even frozen overnight but the pistes is great first thing although some are getting soft by 10.00am. The off piste is variable depending on sun exposure and traffic loading but if you go looking there was some fun corn snow to be had. Walked the dog this afternoon and it was about 18 degrees in the valley.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Another morning at Coronet Peak and much like my last report. Blue sky, no wind and nice and warm. Numbers of people are down so no crowds, no lift lines and no one to run into. Lots of fast carving down the piste. Firm first thing and softening as the day went on. Quite a lot of snow gone off the ridges but plenty on the piste and all the off piste valleys. The bottom of the Sarah Sue trail has got some big brown patches but all the other trails are fine.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Sarge McSarge, Photos - we want photos! wink wink Thanks for the report though - what stage of the season are you in now?
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
easiski, I will try and get you some this coming weekend. We are now into the last few weeks of the season with far warmer weather. Saying that it is cold this morning with a light fall of snow down to 600 metres so conditions should be good for the next few days.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Well its not much but here is a snap of the west face of the Remarkables from near Queenstown airport. Taken about half an hour ago. A lovely cold easterly wind is bringing some light snow showers down to about 600m. There has been 6 to 10 cms on the piste and maybe a little more during the day. A nice return to winter conditions and great timing as school holidays start this weekend. Hope to get you something better soon.

ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Well here are some new photos for you as promised. All taken this morning.

From home at about 8.30 before heading up.

A couple of ducks on one of the snow making reservoirs.

A busy piste

More crowds

At the top of the Coronet Express chair.

Bottom of the piste.

I hope this satisfies the cravings for a while. Laughing
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Sarge McSarge,

Excellent work Very Happy
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Sarge McSarge,
Can you stop putting these photos on, it's winding me up !
Only joking, I was in New Zealand 2 years ago almost exactly to this week and even though the end of the season was'nt as good as it looks to be this year the combination of the stunning landscapes and friendly people can't really be beaten.
Alright then, please put some more photos up....
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Sarge McSarge, Cheers buddy, nice shots. Damn I wish it snowed in Ireland......
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
skitow, I can't help it so here are a few more for ya.

Looking in to the back bowls off piste area.

The Remakables ski area basins.

Looking over Mt Vanguard to Mt Aspiring. Vanguard has been used for helisking for years and Aspiring (3044m) is for serious climbers

Coronet Peak from above the Skyline restaurant taken a few weeks ago.

Looking down from Skyline to Queenstown. The chair lift is for access to the dry luge track that you can see in the foreground. The restaurant is accessed from town buy a gondola and has great views.

ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Nice pics Sarge

It's been a pretty nice end to the season. I was up in Christchurch on Friday, stopped off at Ohau for a couple of hours on the way back on Saturday, it was still pretty good up there.

Got up to coronet last Sunday morning, went for a fish on the way home, got the first trout of summer. Got to love this time of year, can do it all in one day Very Happy

latest report
hang11, Awesome trout, that seals the deal on a NewZealand Season in 2010 followed by some fishing towards the end. I'll put my flyrods in the bag for next years trip too. Wooooohooooo!
ski holidays
Yeh it wasn't too bad. I was into about 10 fish like that in about 3 hours, spooked most of them, hooked up one other. The casting was a bit rusty after 5 months off over winter.

If you're looking to get some fishing done, most rivers open on the 1st October, just as the snow season finishes, although some of the back country ones are 1st November. The lakes are usually open all year though.

Looks like we've got another 10cm or so on the way at the end of the week, which should give it a freshen up for the end of the season.
latest report
Cool pics, dudes.
ski holidays
In between the weather today, I think Coronet was the best I had it all year, empty, had to wait at the lifts to share a chair, and some really deep, dry stashes of powder. Managed a couple of knee stressing top to bottom pow runs today. Just a shame that there's one day of the season left. Will probably get up to TC tomorrow.

Here's a few pics of NZ this winter that I've taken. Top place, and well worth a visit during the Northern Hemisphere summer...

Glenorchy

Snowboarding at the Remarkables

Hoare Frost

Lake Ohau

Mackenzie

Mt Cook Airport

Lake Pukaki

Mt Cook

Ohau

Porter Heights

Moke Lake

The Remarkables

Speargrass Flat and Arrowtown

Lake Johnson

Queenstown

Stormy day at Coronet Peak

latest report
hang11, some of the best pics I've seen for a long time. Thanks for sharing them.
snow report
wow amazing pics!
snow report
Stunning!
snow conditions
Cheers hang11, excellent photos Very Happy
snow conditions
hang11, Great shots mate. Don't post any more other wise the whole place will be full of Snowheads next season.
Well we had fresh snow Saturday so the skiing was excellent for the last weekend of the season at Coronet Peak. 15cms of fresh and no crowds so it was a great end to a great season. The Remarkables is open till next weekend but all the other local areas are now closed. Just to mention our wonderful variable weather in NZ the central North Island has had heavy snow with roads closed and some hundreds of people having to be rescued from their stuck cars. 80 or 90 still trapped as of this morning and it is still snowing up there. Down here it is blue sky and no winds. I will do a season round up in a few days.
latest report
Awesome photos!
ski holidays
Amazing photo's - NZ is truely beautiful.
latest report
hang11, breathtaking! What camera?
snow report
Thanks for all the nice comments Very Happy

Coronet did a sneaky last minute offer for season pass holders, and opened for a few hours this morning. It was a bit of a result, for the non workers, like my wife, because the four seater was closed all day yesterday, so there were still freshies to be had this morning, with beautiful weather too. She's just been in to see me at work with the kids, and it sounds like they had a blast, which is a great way to end the season. One child got completely lost after she tried to land a jump into a snow drift that was a bit too deep, and had to be retrieved.

But hey, the South Island sucks, the snow is rubbish, the scenery is boring, and the fishing is crap wink

The North Island is much nicer Very Happy

Those pics are all taken with a canon 40D and a sigma 10-20 or canon 70-200 F4L. I've got my eye on a 7D, with weather sealing, which will be real handy for taking up to the mountains. I'm a bit precious with the current setup, so miss out on a lot of good shots through not having it with me.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
hang11, I saw the special offer after I got to work this morning and it was too late to change my work plans. It must have been glorious up there sun, snow and almost no people.
latest report
hang11, Sarge McSarge, Thank you both very much for the fabulous photos and reports. I've really enjoyed watching and reading this thread. I knew NZ was nice - it just looks better than I ever imagined though. Maybe I'll win the lottery and come to visit one day. Very Happy Very Happy
snow report
hang11, clear that your pics couldn't just've been from a compact digicam!! Keep it up Very Happy
ski holidays
hang11, Sarge McSarge,
Cheers for the pics, reports, fishing info and other cool info about the area.
See you in June 2010 Very Happy
ski holidays
There's some good angry rainbows to be had at some of the stream mouths in June Very Happy
snow report
Good pix.

A decent Spring storm has dumped 10 - 30cm of freshies on parts of NZ this week.

Season extended at some resorts:

http://www.travelagentcentral.com/nz-north-island/snow-extends-new-zealand-ski-season-17705

Video of dump:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/asia-pacific/8291871.stm
ski holidays
Well I went up to The Remarkables today for my last day for the season and hoping to have some fun in the new snow that fell earlier in the week. Rather disappointed as it was all very wind blown but I did get a few photos for you to check out.

A couple of shots from Queenstown Hill

This is near the end of the road up the Dart valley past Glenorchy. The foreground is covered in frost not snow.

And a couple of scenic shots for you.

Looking toward Glenorchy at the head of lake Wakatipu.

From Mt Roy above lake Wanaka. Mrs McSarge featuring.

Another angle of Wanaka.

Well I have had my last ski for the season so I hope you have all enjoyed our reports from the far end of the world. I will be following the coming northern season so make a few turns for me.
ski holidays
hang11, Sarge McSarge, Thanks for all the great photos snowHead
snow report
Lads thanks a million, have thoroughly enjoyed this thread.
latest report
Guys, thanks for all the stokey pics. You've really made a great thread.

Homesick Crying or Very sad
ski holidays
hang11, Sarge McSarge, wow! thanks for the amazing pics. looks like you had fab conditions!
latest report
Great set of pics, chaps.
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy